14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hally83

error 42 means your Goldcard isnt a goldcard! try again or try another card.

error 90 issues: I solved that by using Linux to do step 2, other people have sorted it in Windows by putting a pause in the command, read a few pages back.

Guest htcnick
You DO NOT need goldcard if you have unlocked phone(just skip that step)

Why you don't use Tiny Linux as I said..it should be safer....

i downloaded linux and burnt the image like it said, but there is only 2 folders on the cd and they dont really do much.

I think im way over my head.

Also when i go to the Recovery option on my phone, it just goes to the telstra startup image and stays there. There is no phone with a red "!" like there is suppose to be.

Edited by htcnick

Guest Café King

Hello fellow nerds :(

I need help with rooting my phone when I have the 0.80 bootloader version. The fact is; the "guide" in post # 1 is far to complicated to me. I don't think the are any exact details on how to do what.

Is there a clever brain that would like to help me via MSN Messenger or Skype maybe?

MSN: [email protected]

I really hope for some quick help.

Greetings...

/CK

Guest tatey2457

And so the fun continues...

I originally rooted using the tiny live cd but reverted back to the T-mobile branded rom (RUU_Bravo_TMO_UK_1.15.110.11_Radio_32.30.00.28U_4. 05.00.11_release_122755.exe)

now when I try to root using the same method and the EXACT same goldcard I get the error 42, my H-boot is still 0.75, I've tried multipul times and still get the same error...before someone says it...my goldcard is still a goldcard

Guest creepa1982

Hey guys,

I've been searching through the thread but could not find an answer to my question, so here it comes:

I have created my goldcard but get stuck right after executing recovery-windows.bat:

``

About to start flash

(waiting for device)

''

But here the process is stuck. the phone displays the htc logo on the screen. Is my goldcard not functioning correctly? I've gone through the goldcard process twice, each time with a different sdcard. I can turn the phone off and reboot it normally and get back to my previous system.

specs:

bravo unknown ship s-on

hboot: 0.75

touch panel synt0101

radio 4.05.00.11

Any help would be very much appreciated...

I got this one resolved by using the guide on http://android.modaco.com/content-page/308...rdtool/page/20/ (post #30).

Edited by creepa1982

Guest Café King

This is not even funny anymore... I've unrooted... Then installed v1.21 with success... Then I root the damn thing and voila! Start the phone up and I am back to v1.15. What is going on here??? Please educate me!!!

If anyone can make this work, I would gladly transfer some money to that person via PayPal :(

Guest creepa1982

Unfortunately I am stuck again.

In step 2 when I apply step2-windows.bat I get the error: device not found.

The phone is plugged in and in the device manager I have under Android USB Devices -> My HTC. I use the drivers from the current htc sync.

Anyone got an idea? Would appreciate your help!

Found the "solution".

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...iny-core-linux/

Some other posts in this forum say to keep phone turned on after 1, one can go through with windows and not face this driver problem. I'll give the linux way a shot.

Edited by creepa1982

Guest HNH992

I ordered HTC Desire today and I will get it in Wednesday.

I want to root the device but I have Windows 64 bit.

Is there Tiny Core Linux for Bootloader 0.80?

Thanks

Edited by HNH992

Guest htcnick

hey.

I fixed it and got m phone working. thanks to everyone for there help. I use Pauls method.

2 Questions;

1. My phone orginally had the bootloader 0.75, but i put the wrong one on and now its the 0.80. Is this gonna cause any problems. If so, how i can revert back.

2. Also where can i get the 1.21.405.2 upgrade.

Thanks all once again. My phone is no longer a brick.

cheers

Nick

Edited by htcnick

Guest tastyweat

Bit of a problem at my end... got round the error 90 thing etc without issue.

But after running step 2, I get to the recovery menu - but there's no way to alter the selection... only reboot device is selected... I've tried using the volume keys and optical trackball to no avail.... just cannot get the cursor to move at all

I must have tried 4 times now (rebooting phone, going back in to recovery and running step 2 again)

Have also tried the alternate enter-recovery.bat file.... same thing

Any advice?

Cheers!

Edited by tastyweat

Guest tastyweat

I'm a dumb-ass... just checked the trackball under the OS & it seems to have lost a significant amount of its sensitivity - but can still just about be used... went back in to recovery... figured out how to get it to work (with my nail, wtf!?) and now i'm rooted :(

Cheers for the guide :(

Guest Jedister

Heya !

I saw that HTC released a system update

I have a non-rooted desire,

if i apply this update will my bootloader (currently 0.75) and ROM both be updated as well (which may result in not being able to root) ?

Cheers !

Guest Café King

I have unrooted my phone and now have an unrooted v1.21...

I would really like some help to root the v1.21... Anyone who can help, please? Think I have tried everything...

/CK

Edited by Café King

Guest GobbleGoblin

There seems to be some confusion around the final rooted version number. Like many others here, I followed the guide, and my android is rooted at v 1.15.405.4.

I followed the guide as best I could, but things got a little bumpy at the step 2 script (device rebooted and upgraded to 1.21, but I didn't get a chance to run the step2 script, so I ran the script later, and the version downgraded to 1.15). As stated many times throughout the post, Paul said the rootupdate was based on 1.21, so I assume something went slightly wrong with my device...

My device is certainly rooted (and functional :-)), but not sure if it's meant to be at 1.15 after this procedure. Any advice from an expert would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Guest Robbie Khan
Heya !

I saw that HTC released a system update

I have a non-rooted desire,

if i apply this update will my bootloader (currently 0.75) and ROM both be updated as well (which may result in not being able to root) ?

Cheers !

If you've applied the system update I "think" you can just download and root using the 0.8 files instead of the 0.75?

Someone do correct me if that's wrong as I will be rooting tonight too and I have applied the system update on my Vanilla Desire which was on 0.75 and 1.15 but now is 0.80 and 1.21.

Guest hally83
There seems to be some confusion around the final rooted version number. Like many others here, I followed the guide, and my android is rooted at v 1.15.405.4.

I followed the guide as best I could, but things got a little bumpy at the step 2 script (device rebooted and upgraded to 1.21, but I didn't get a chance to run the step2 script, so I ran the script later, and the version downgraded to 1.15). As stated many times throughout the post, Paul said the rootupdate was based on 1.21, so I assume something went slightly wrong with my device...

My device is certainly rooted (and functional :-)), but not sure if it's meant to be at 1.15 after this procedure. Any advice from an expert would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Right there seems to be a bit of confusion over this.

If you go through the rooting procedure on here, you will flash a ROOTED 1.15 rom onto your device. You can then upgrade to MCR which is based on 1.21.

Alot of posts suggest some people are rooting, then unrooting, installing the FOTA update, then wanting to root again. This is utterly pointless as you will just undoing the FOTA update by rooting it again!

Just go through the whole root procedure, flash the rooted rom, then go to the MCR thread and flash that rom. You will be rooted and using 1.21.

Edited by hally83

Guest Robbie Khan

If you go through the rooting procedure on here, you will flash a ROOTED 1.15 rom onto your device. You can then upgrade to MCR which is based on 1.21.

Alot of posts suggest some people are rooting, then unrooting, installing the FOTA update, then wanting to root again. This is utterly pointless as you will just undoing the FOTA update by rooting it again!

Just go through the whole root procedure, flash the rooted rom, then go to the MCR thread and flash that rom. You will be rooted and using 1.21.

I think teh confusion was for people who have not yet rooted but have applied the OTA update which puts their phone from 1.15/0.75 to 1.21/0.80 - At least that was my confusion because before the OTA I would have had to use the 0.75 link but now i need to use the 0.80 files!

Guest GobbleGoblin

Thanks Hally. So those of us who are rooted with a 1.15 rom can follow the instructions on this post (is it the right url?):

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...online-kitchen/

Guest rameses

Rooted mine today using Window7 64 bit. I did a bit of reading from other sites first just to make sure I understood the guide as I have very little experience of using command prompt etc. The guide in post 1 has all the general details but there are a few omissions that a total novice like me needed. I found the info here http://www.geekword.net/htc-desire-root-guide/ useful.

I only had one issue, which caused a heart stopping moment, with a corrupt download of the root files, but I just re downloaded them and started from recovery again.

All in all a great job well done. Thanks Paul and anyone else who had input into this.

Guest tabsina
Bingo :(

Quick question - I used this guide in order to remove the bloatware that was provided by Telstra, the carrier this phone is sort of locked for, and I am currently on 1.15 - if i'm not overly concerned about keeping my phone rooted, is there any danger or issue with simply using the official 1.21 update? I assume that by doing so I'd be getting the stock desire official update rather than going back to the telstra one, right?

Guest hally83
Quick question - I used this guide in order to remove the bloatware that was provided by Telstra, the carrier this phone is sort of locked for, and I am currently on 1.15 - if i'm not overly concerned about keeping my phone rooted, is there any danger or issue with simply using the official 1.21 update? I assume that by doing so I'd be getting the stock desire official update rather than going back to the telstra one, right?

I would have thought the update will fail if you try and install it on a rooted rom anyway, but if you really want the 1.21 update, install the MCR rom in the other sticky thread.