14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hazi1964

ONLY if the above download is not suitable - if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire) / MIRROR (ROMraid / CoBlitz) - MD5: eb2ed5bca1334cacd70e4720f5b29960

I can't download the above file, first link doesn't work and second, it starts to download but after waiting like forever, it's still only on 2% of the download. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Alison

Guest Relikk
ONLY if the above download is not suitable - if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire) / MIRROR (ROMraid / CoBlitz) - MD5: eb2ed5bca1334cacd70e4720f5b29960

I can't download the above file, first link doesn't work and second, it starts to download but after waiting like forever, it's still only on 2% of the download. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Alison

Use the link I provided earlier on this very page. It works fine with 0.80 bootloaders.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QJAZE6LR

Edited by Relikk

Guest hazi1964
Use the link I provided earlier on this very page. It works fine with 0.80 bootloaders.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QJAZE6LR

Firstly, thank you for your help. I now have a major problem, might have to post a completely new thread but am hoping somebody here can help me first.

I followed the guide step by step right up to 8. Now you should see a custom recovery screen, using the optical trackpad navigate to Wipe and push on the trackpad to select it. Then navigate to Wipe data/factory reset and select that.

Got to step 9 . Once that is done, push volume down to go back to the main menu and select Flash zip from sdcard and select the rootedupdate.zip file and wait for it to flash. All done, you have root access and can use any root required app! Enjoy!

However, my volume key wasn't responding and I kept pressing it up and down to try and get it to respond and in the process managed to press the trackpad, causing the phone to boot up. I hadn't managed to flash the zip.

So, me being me, figured that I should go back into recovery and try there, only way I could get the screen back up to flash the zip was to repeat the process, I only repeated step 2, got the screen up and selected flash zip.

That all finished and I booted the phone, well, I tried but it's stuck in a loop, won't boot. Completely stuck in the boot sequence now.

I have been trying all day to figure out how to do this, finally plucked up courage and manage to mess it up.

I am thinking maybe start the whole process again from start to finish but before I do, can anybody advise me as to whether this is the way to go or is there another way around it?

Any help would be so much appreciated, I've got myself so upset about this, I'm not usually this dumb, honest.

Thank you in advance to anybody who would be kind enough to help me through this.

Alison

Guest r5ingh

Hi guys,

newbie here, just a quick question for you all.

if I were to root my UK VF desire and put the Modaco Froyo custom rom on it, what would I need to do to revert to the Official HTC Froyo rom if/when it is released? Is it just a question of finding the generic rom (when it's released) on this forum and flashing it back or am I dreaming....

Please shout back asap, I'm waiting to root! heheheh

Guest spammyspam

If you do that, then you'll lose root. My plan is to wait for someone to release a custom (rooted) ROM based on the official one.

Guest r5ingh

Hmm,

I'm ok with loosing root, I just want to confirm that I can get the official rom back on it when it's released...

Obviously I can't get the OTA update with a custom rom.... but surely I could easily go back to the Sense 2.1 Official rom and then OTA...

:S sorry, just trying to be over cautious, I quite like sense, but badly need apps2sd!

Guest sh500
Hi guys i cant root my device

Plz see the picture and if u can help me ....... :lol:

What is the problem ...... !

i try with 4 sd cart and nothing change :D

41665773607050720137.jpg

For those having trouble with errors on/from 'Step 1', try using this tool and following the instructions on there:

http://android.modaco.com/content/software...n-goldcardtool/

Edited by sh500

Guest MyFlower06

r6 version is giving me these errors:

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,27

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,36

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,44

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,51

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,59

INFO[RUU]WP,radio,100

FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... FAILED (command write failed (No such file or direc

tory))

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys

and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

And yes, I have Gold card :lol:

EDIT: same with r5 X_x

EIDT2: It's OK now... Don't understand it, bud in Windows x64 I always ended up with that errors and could not do anything else. With Windows x86 I got same errors too, but I could flash it and everything is working now :-D

Edited by MyFlower06

Guest Rock77

Hi,

I think I followed the rooting guide succefully but a have a little problem. I want to update my phone to sofware version 1.21.405.2 but It fails : I chose install now, my phone reboot I then appears a picture of a phone with a red "?".

How can I resolve this ? Thanks

Sorry for me english

Guest r5ingh

Hi all,

me again... just wanted to say a big big thanks for this excellent rooting tut!

I've now rooted my desire and am running the MCR 3.1 rom, I have a few questions.

1) is the rooted rom (supplied with the riskfree root method) the same as the stock rom?

2) is it possible for me to get a2sd working with the stock desire rom? if so, what is the process and which rom can I use?

3) am I right in assuming and I can't use the "official" rru/roms as that will effectively unroot my phone making a2sd impossible?

Awaiting your replies!! Thanks in advance!

Guest tommo123

well, i only just rooted yesterday and was unsure, i installed rom manager (had to do it twice for it to work properly for some reason) and installed mcr 3.1 custom via the kitchen (worth a tenner).

apps2sd works automatically

i think the rom is a virgin media rom, since i saw that symbol somewhere in there and the official ruus are to return the phone to stock for sending back for RMAs i believe. removes root

Edited by tommo123

Guest Ragingsheep

Urgh bricked my phone.

Created a gold card, did everything up to step1-windows.bat, got to about here (sorry can't remember exactly):

Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

sending 'zip' (137446 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...

INFOsignature checking...

INFOzip header checking...

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

FAILED (unknown error)

I pulled out and restarted my phone, reconnected forgetting that I left the bat file running. Then it said that everything was done and to run step2 except there is no step2 to run.

Guest caifaz

is it true that de gold card is only required for branded htc desire? and for unlocked un-branded desire's is not mandatory?

Guest itachi46

i got 0.75 boot loader and a 1.6.xx which do i download ?

also all these people who are "stuck" are they able to revert to the unrooted one or are they stuck ? o.o

Guest Spellcaster Lukian
- If you have a bootloader version 0.75.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.15.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD

- ONLY if the above download is not suitable - if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below - DOWNLOAD

My new HTC Desire has a 0.75 bootloader and a factory ROM with version "1.16.841.1 CL171554 release-keys" (Telstra HTC Desire).

Which update.zip should I use? Or should I use a different method to root?

Edited by Spellcaster Lukian

Guest dwyvan

HELP!

I have followed the rooting guide and this worked fine! However my phone is now locked to an unknown network. how do i get my phone back to how it ewas as no unlockng ste has the code for my handset?

Guest Rogershabit

Your device should now be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe data/factory reset' option, then select the option to 'Apply sdcard:update.zip'. I get this far and the thing tells me that it cannot get signature authentication. I have to reboot back to the Orange start up again.

Also when i select the 'wipe data/factory retset' option i get a page with lots of no and 1 yes. I clear the yes and back to the update bit again.

I'm new at this stuff so if you can help please that would be brill. I'm pulling me hair now.............. LOL :lol:

Guest Javipe

Still fighting with my HTC Desire Orange Spain branded with 1.22.75.1 version.

This is the version of the phone:

HBOOT:

Bravo PVT1 Ship S-ON

HBOOT-0.80.0000

MICROPT-0.31d

TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101

RADIO-4.06.00.02_2

Mar 29 2010,21:34:33
Phone version:
Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2

Kernel Version: 2.6.29-54b7033a htc-kernel@and18-2#1

Compilation Version: 1.22.75.1 CL175326 release-keys

Software version: 1.22.75.1

Navigator Version: Webkit 3.1
I followed your guide with r6-desire-root-alt file and this is what I get (using linux):
 Desire Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... OKAY

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

sending 'zip' (138708 KB)... OKAY

INFOzip info parsing...

INFOchecking model ID...

INFOchecking custom ID...

INFOchecking main version...

FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)

Rebooting to bootloader...

rebooting into bootloader... OKAY

Step 1 complete - now use the bootloader menu to enter recovery mode.

To do this, press the power button, wait a few seconds, then use the volume keys and power button to select the RECOVERY option.
When I try to aply the update.zip I get the following:
Verifying update package

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted

I tryed changing the update.zip file with a rooted 1.23 file just in case the problem is to flash older version than current installed but I've got the same result.

Any ideas?

Guest FalcoApps

Thank you for the great job you are doing for the htc Desire owners community.

I have to report on a problem, not sure to what it is related, as I see many users actually rooting their Desire, while I get an error.

However, it is the same error Javipe reported in his post above, so it looks like a recent problem, maybe related to the sync application (Application Upgrade - HTC Sync 2.0.33) we did download from HTC, in order to get the new USB driver?

Here is the screen of the problem:

My Desire is the same as Javipe reported on his Desire, bought it some 3 weeks ago in Taipei, Taiwan.

Thanks allot,

FalcoApps

post-726759-1278167106_thumb.jpg

Guest kai84m

Hi, I have a problem, just ran the r6 rooting which went all right, but now im back in the bootloader and there is just a line written with "RUU" in orange!

Can anybody please advice me!

THX in advance

Guest kai84m
Hi, I have a problem, just ran the r6 rooting which went all right, but now im back in the bootloader and there is just a line written with "RUU" in orange!

Can anybody please advice me!

THX in advance

It worked no (ran it in windows console with admin privs. again) Im in recovery now, but the installation of the update.zip failed "signature verification failed"

Guest CountryMous3

Should my 'Software Information' say the following after i have completed the root:

Firmware version

2.1-update1

Baseband version

32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2

Kernel version

2.6.29-82821fb5

htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build number

1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys

Software number

Browser version

Webkit 3.1

Guest hazi1964

Help, am trying to root my phone, am running windows Vista but am stuck on opening up the command prompt terminal, how do I open it?

Thank you in advance.