"Safe Mode" on Desire?

Guest darkhorse166

Guest darkhorse166

I'm documenting a strange issue with my Desire, since I haven't found any permanent solutions to it on the net.

My phone has gone into "Safe Mode", whatever that means. Indication is that on the lower-left corner of the screen, there is a watermark that indicates the phone is in Safe Mode. Other symptoms include third-party widgets not showing. In this mode, occasionally the volume down and the optical trackpad button are swapped around, with the trackpad button causing the phone to go into constant vibrate mode now and again, which is really weirding me out.

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

There are instructions on the net that work for other phones to get them out of safe mode; namely, turning the phone off, and holding down menu and power to turn the phone on. This worked *once*, but now my phone is back in safe mode and refuses to exit.

When the phone goes into lock screen, tapping the power button once does *not* unlock the phone; rather, it restarts the phone without prompts.

I'm utterly confused as to what's going on. I'm tempted to RMA mine. Any ideas?

edit: For the record, I believe it's a software issue. The device was working okay in normal mode, before it went all BSOD* on me. If it helps anyone, relevant software details are:

- Firmware: 2.1-update1

- Baseband: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

- Kernel: 2.6.29.97da29ed, htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

- Build no: 1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys

- Thirdparty widgets that were running: JuiceDefender, BatteryWidget

edit2: The phone did not literally BSOD :huh:

Edited by darkhorse166

• 3 months later...
Guest mr.antooan
I'm documenting a strange issue with my Desire, since I haven't found any permanent solutions to it on the net.

My phone has gone into "Safe Mode", whatever that means. Indication is that on the lower-left corner of the screen, there is a watermark that indicates the phone is in Safe Mode. Other symptoms include third-party widgets not showing. In this mode, occasionally the volume down and the optical trackpad button are swapped around, with the trackpad button causing the phone to go into constant vibrate mode now and again, which is really weirding me out.

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

There are instructions on the net that work for other phones to get them out of safe mode; namely, turning the phone off, and holding down menu and power to turn the phone on. This worked *once*, but now my phone is back in safe mode and refuses to exit.

When the phone goes into lock screen, tapping the power button once does *not* unlock the phone; rather, it restarts the phone without prompts.

I'm utterly confused as to what's going on. I'm tempted to RMA mine. Any ideas?

edit: For the record, I believe it's a software issue. The device was working okay in normal mode, before it went all BSOD* on me. If it helps anyone, relevant software details are:

- Firmware: 2.1-update1

- Baseband: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

- Kernel: 2.6.29.97da29ed, htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

- Build no: 1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys

- Thirdparty widgets that were running: JuiceDefender, BatteryWidget

edit2: The phone did not literally BSOD :)

I found it in my HTC legend !!!

What is safe mode in my device ? what work does safe mode do ?

Guest Diggedy

safe mode is just like what it is on a pc iirc, it just boots the phone with the bare minimum software, disabling third party stuff to help you diagnose whats causing you issues

I thought holding the menu key and power put the device into safe mode, not get it out of it. I assume youve tried a battery pull and restart. Worst case I would say restoring to factory settings should solve it

Edited by Diggedy