Apps2SD Miniguide

Guest Luqq

Guest squrl
It just adds the dalvik-cache to the list of things managed by A2SD. It is all handled automatically, so its just a case of Flashing and thats it! No need to do any resets or wiping of data. It *will* move anything which is already there to the SD card automatically.

I only needed to know this. Already had the original A2SD installed so i knew the rest. But thanks anyway.

Keep up the good work and let my know, if you have a PayPal account :huh:

Edited by squrl

Guest PaulW21781

I have Paypal, but I think original credit and anything else should go to Paul/Modaco :huh:

All I'm doing is just trying to help on an otherwise awesome piece of work :P

Guest Seb M

Quick question - is it possible to make a single sdcard which functions as both an a2sd card AND a goldcard?

I can't really see why it wouldn't work as it's just a case of making sure the partitions are in the right place and that special GoldCard stuff is in the right blocks, but I'm not at a computer I'd be able to check right now...

Seb

Guest waterc00l
ls -l /data

busybox df -h

i think everything was fine before the update, now i get an opendir failed, Permission denied @ terminal when trying this commands :huh:

@seb: don't think it is possible cause the partitions will crack the goldcard blocks

Edited by waterc00l

Guest nekromantik

I installed your update and I dont think its working.

I installed a app and its still installing data in the data/data directory

also when I try and do ls -l /data in terminal in SU file manager I get permission denied error.

one more thing, can you have it so that it downloads the apk files to your SD card instead?

Guest afiorillo

also when I try and do ls -l /data in terminal in SU file manager I get permission denied error.

one more thing, can you have it so that it downloads the apk files to your SD card instead?

That update is NOT intended to move the "data" directory on the SD, but the Dalvik-Cache. :huh:

Guest waterc00l

how do we reverse the update? :huh:

Guest nekromantik
That update is NOT intended to move the "data" directory on the SD, but the Dalvik-Cache. :huh:

ah

Well apps2sd will be pointless if apps still use up internal storage.

Guest Biliskner

Hi guys, got a bit of a pickle. Everything went fine. Then I tried the A2SD.zip.

It rebooted and everything went well (after A2SD). But then I swapped from my 4gb goldcard to just the normal 8gb that i have and rebooted. It kept looping at "quietly brilliant". I went to my linux box and recovery-linux.sh and partitioned my mSD card, formatted and made 2 partitions. But it just kept looking at "quietly brilliant". Now I can't get it to recognize in linux at all. I'm currently on my Win7 machine trying to testruu it but even that is stuck (it said something like flashing from [img: ERROR?] to [img: 1.55xxx] It's been sitting here for 10mins - the first time it completed in 7 mins, so I think A2SD stuffed up something on my phone (everything in / out (sdcard/sim)) just loops "quietly brilliant". Tried commands in Linux for recovery.sh but getting "device not found" ? Weird. All i wanted was A2SD but it seems like that has stuffed everything up! Not sure what to do (give me Linux command lines to try and diagnose - I can follow it easy - but am unfamiliar with the android SDK pack).

Posted this in the other thread and am out of ideas. I just cannot get linux to recognize my device anymore. It's just so weird. I scroll UP my terminal and I see the command is exactly the same and the files push through. Now it just says device not found huh? Same cable, same computer, same commands but it's saying device not found?

just to be sure, by "install the apps2sd from zip " in you howto, do you mean flash zip from sdcard ?

sorry to ask maybe a such stupid question but, i'm used to tell flash only for flashing a entire rom and not just an app.

So maybe it's a language mistake, or as i'm french i din't noticed what "flash" really mean. I just do not want to do something wrong so i asked before to do a mistake.

Thank's in advance, sorry for my ignorance.

EDIT : well after taking a piece af time to concentrate, i reallise how stupid was that question, so nevermind, it's ok and perfectly working. AS i didn't slept last night, my brain is like in the fog...

BTW, thank you for this great job.

Edited by zwox

Guest waterc00l

i have no idea what happend?

my System/sd folder was gone a.s.o .. installed goldcard, tried to execute the original a2sd from paul -> failed

then, put in my regular SD -> boot -> system/sd folder is here with a dalvik-cache folder -> that means it works?

strange things happen :huh:

the ls -l /data still don't works -> opendir failed, permission denied. Is that a problem?

f.e. ls -l /data/app works fine..

edit: i think i am a donk. ls -l /data works perfect via my computer, not with terminal @ desire :P

Edited by waterc00l

Guest nintylinky

Bloody genius PaulW21781, I was having a boot loop issue, and your updates apps2sd worked great, are you thinking about moving the data/data folders also, as that should make it so everything is running from SD. Thanks anyways

Guest Biliskner

fixed my strange problem, followed this - now no looping.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=659616

8th April 2010, 02:15 AM

murdoch1

Member Join Date: Jan 2010

Reset

Straight From HTC website:-

Performing a factory reset (hard reset)

If you're passing your phone on to someone else or your phone has a persistent problem that cannot be solved, you can do a factory reset (also called a hard reset). This returns your phone to the state it was in before the first time you turned it on.

Note: Factory reset will not remove the data and files that are in your phone’s microSD card.

Factory reset is not a step to be taken lightly. It will permanently delete all your data and customized settings, and will also remove any applications you've downloaded and installed. Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a factory reset.

Performing a factory reset via settings

The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the phone settings.

1. From the Home screen, press MENU and then tap Settings.

2. Scroll down the screen and then tap Privacy > Factory data reset.

3. On the Factory data reset screen, tap Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.

Performing a factory reset using phone buttons

If you cannot turn on your phone or access the phone settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.

1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.

2. Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button..

3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER.

4. Press VOLUME UP to start the factory reset.

Guest flamethrower

so, just to clarify i need to use a separate SD card than the one I have which is currently a gold card?

or can i use the same card?

Guest waterc00l
Bloody genius PaulW21781, I was having a boot loop issue, and your updates apps2sd worked great, are you thinking about moving the data/data folders also, as that should make it so everything is running from SD. Thanks anyways

+1

anyone knows what the data/data folder actually does?

@flame: You MUST (MUSTMUSTMUSTMUSTMUST) use a separate card.

Edited by waterc00l

Guest flamethrower
+1

anyone knows what the data/data folder actually does?

@flame: You MUST (MUSTMUSTMUSTMUSTMUST) use a separate card.

thx man thought so, have just ordered one :huh:

Guest maati

Genius! Thanks a lot! :huh:

Yes, the way the A2SD works is every time the phone boots, it checks for the ext partition on the SD card, if its there it will then move and symlink any folders which are needed. This is done via the 40a2sd script in /system/etc/init.d

The reason the phone is looping for some people I reckon (after encountering the error on my last post) is because the 40a2sd script fails to get its permissions set as this is done *after* the symlinking... So the upgrade script simply skips all that and goes straight to copying/permission setting, so fixing it (hopefully)

Install the update, reboot, and done! Check it yourself then within an adb shell

ls -l /data

# ls -l /data

lrwxrwxrwx root	 root			  2010-04-29 10:46 dalvik-cache -> /system/sd/dalvik-cache

lrwxrwxrwx root	 root			  2010-04-28 22:26 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

lrwxrwxrwx root	 root			  2010-04-28 22:26 app -> /system/sd/app
busybox df -h
#busybox df -h

Device				  Size	 Used   Free		Mount Point

/dev/block/mtdblock5	147.6M	 23.8M	123.8M  16% /data

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2	915.1M	 45.6M	820.7M   5% /system/sd

:P

Guest maati
Just installed davlick-cache update,

What's the best way to check that it is working?

You'll have more free space :huh:

Or look three posts above yours, in the quote there is the method for checking.

Edited by maati