help think i've killed my laptop

Guest goinnuts

Guest goinnuts

Can any one please help. I'm new to android and whilst trying to make a gold card I think I may have done it to my hard disk, as now my laptop will not load past the vaIo screen. It just stays black. I've tried to recover using f10 butthat does not work. Is there anything I can do or is it dead.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Mark.

First of all, if you did this, dont worry. In the worst case, you've got to buy a new HDD. Your entire laptop is not broken. Dont know about your data however..

Guest qwertyux
Thanks for the quick response. There's nothing on it anyway it was new.

Any one know if I can fix it with out buying a new hd

Do you have a windows CD with you (or recovery cd supplied with new laptops)? You can try a startup repair or if that's not working, try reformat it.

Guest goinnuts

I did create a back up as advised on first boot. But I don't have that tohand until late tomorrow. How do I format it.

Thanks again for the help

Make a bootable usb stick with Linux using UnetBootin. I'd recommend ubuntu, and then 10.04 live. If that's booted, use gparted to reformat it. GOod luck.

Guest saquib

Have you left the bootable usb plugged in and it's trying (and failing) to boot from that ? Remove all usb sticks and sd cards and try again.

Thanks again. Never used Linux before or made a bootable usb. So I think ill try the disk first.

Many thanks

Mark.

Guest airwave88

Happened to me on my desktop last night (not a Sony though) - it was getting stuck at the boot logo.

The solution was fairly simple: unplug the Desire from the USB cable and reboot.

I believe there's something with the Desire which causes the boot process (USB device detection) to hang.

Try this and let us know if it worked.

Guest goinnuts

Again many thanks for the replys, the phone was not plugged in and I did try a full recovery through f10 but nothing worked.

When I tried to update the phone it said wrong cid. So I can only assume I have turned my hard drive into a gold card and now it will not go any further than the boot screen. I will try a recovery with the back up discs I created bu I dont think its going to work.

Thanks

Mark.

Guest afiorillo
Happened to me on my desktop last night (not a Sony though) - it was getting stuck at the boot logo.

The solution was fairly simple: unplug the Desire from the USB cable and reboot.

I believe there's something with the Desire which causes the boot process (USB device detection) to hang.

Try this and let us know if it worked.

I can confirm this behaviour (it happens with my HP notebook), but it has nothing to do with goinnuts' problem. He screwed up his hard disk' boot sector, the only chance I see is getting another identical hard disk and copy/paste its first chunk of bytes (until "....170" one) over the dead one.

Guest goinnuts
I can confirm this behaviour (it happens with my HP notebook), but it has nothing to do with goinnuts' problem. He screwed up his hard disk' boot sector, the only chance I see is getting another identical hard disk and copy/paste its first chunk of bytes (until "....170" one) over the dead one.

If I can copy that as my dad has the same laptop, how would I copy it back, as I can't access anything.