24/May r4 - HTC Legend rooting guide - Now with 1.31.x

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest love_paul
hi paul & everyone,

im successfully rooted the legend but im quite curious about this phase by paul:

The root process will...

flash your device with a new, generic 1.31 series based ROM that has Superuser access

when i go in to the "superuser permission" in my phone it shows blank black screen...

what is this means? is this what it suppose to be? and i cant click the accessible in the setting menu either.

sorry noob here.. ^^

thx for the savier.. :P

That is you did it!!! what to do ,if you want!!!!! you are the god!!!

Guest GodBacon

Ok, this looks great, Paul looks really handsome and so on, but... :P A few questions from a new user:

1) The rooting procedure is actually a complete wipe of our phones, right? I mean SMS, phonebook, keyboard locales and so on will be gone forever, right? No prob for phonebook and SMS, they can be backed up and restored, but how about the keyboard settings? Will I be able to use Chinese Input & handwriting after the rooting process? Maybe I'll have to reinstall every single keyb settings manually? (is it even possible to do it?)

2) It seems that it's NOT possible to UNROOT the phone and revert it to its factory settings, amirite?

That's about it, I guess.

Thanks everyone and obviously especially Paul : )

P.S. OS X 10.6 user with Hong Kong HTC no-brand Legend, 1.31 and 0.43

Guest ArMyBoT

Folks, I've a branded HTC Legend and I'd like to install a fresh unbranded cool rom.

Being brand new, I'd like to keep the chance to restore original branded rom.

How can I backup or flash back to this branded original rom if needed?

Thanks,

A.

Guest geeze

How can we put App2SD now we've rooted our phone ?

The Desire's tutorial work on the legend ? (I ask even I don't think so)

Thx

Guest squitsaintis

after rooting the legend.. i try to flash back to the stock ASIA rom.. everything went fine.. until i try to root it back.. the phone hang on the updating system thingy..

any idea anyone?

*problem solved... its the goldcard issue.. manage to counter it with a new sd card made to goldcard.. heee...

Edited by squitsaintis

Guest Alarde

Hello, finaly I can install all on my legend, the problem was the goldcard.. and so thanks to all for the help (:

I have the (I hope) last question, I have an app, the superuser Permissions. What I can do with it? When I execute the app, I can see a black window, no more.

Thank so (:

Guest geeze
Hello, finaly I can install all on my legend, the problem was the goldcard.. and so thanks to all for the help (:

I have the (I hope) last question, I have an app, the superuser Permissions. What I can do with it? When I execute the app, I can see a black window, no more.

Thank so (:

It's normal, this program is just a list of permissions (for exemple when you launch Swapper (doesn't work...) the Superuser permission ask you to Allow or not the process) if you accept or deny, u'll see a new permission in the application "Superuser permissions". And then you can edit your saved permissions.

That's all :P

have a good day

Edited by geeze

Guest Tim80
@Tim : you use file in #1 post ( R3 fixed wifi bug, so check the name of the file you had downloaded ) ? try to make root process again.

I redo it after downloaded the R3 and it fixed. Thank you

Hi,

I'm from Singapore and my firmware is the asian version 1.31.702.2

does rooting work on it?

anyone knows?

I from Sg, It worked after I rooted my Legend to Paul R3.

Thanks Paul.

By the way, what is the advantage of rooting my Legend and what can I do with the 'Super access permission' (I only see a empty black background when i enter into the folder)?

Guest geeze
I redo it after downloaded the R3 and it fixed. Thank you

I from Sg, It worked after I rooted my Legend to Paul R3.

Thanks Paul.

By the way, what is the advantage of rooting my Legend and what can I do with the 'Super access permission' (I only see a empty black background when i enter into the folder)?

Read my post ^^ it's just a list. If you don't use programs which need root access you won't see anything. When you'll use a program, a message will appear to ask you to allow or deny the program's root access. And then a new permission will be created. So, you will see a permission when you'll open Superacess Permission (that u'll be able to edit).

Guest nieldk

Update re. missing mobile connectivity:

Being back in Denmark, and not roaming, my 3G is working, together with WiFi aswell.

So, for me, this seems to have been a roaming issue.

Guest Alarde
It's normal, this program is just a list of permissions (for exemple when you launch Swapper (doesn't work...) the Superuser permission ask you to Allow or not the process) if you accept or deny, u'll see a new permission in the application "Superuser permissions". And then you can edit your saved permissions.

That's all :P

have a good day

Ok thank you very much, I understand all (:

Guest power3d
Can anybody list what are the locales/keyboard languages present in this release?

Well, I just need to know if it has Portuguese/Portugal.

Thank you all :P

Anybody, please?

Just go to settings->language and keyboard

Then:

-Locale

and also

-Touch Input-> Keyboard Language

I'd be much obliged :D

Guest Nimmo
Anybody, please?

Then:

-Locale

and also

I'd be much obliged :P

It appears that it is in there about 2/3 of the way down the list of languages. Hope that helps.

Guest ilos
Anybody, please?

Then:

-Locale

and also

I'd be much obliged :P

Yes for both.

Portuguese supported

Guest power3d

Thank you very much to both of you.

In this way I know that I'll have intelligent writing if I flash with this ROM because, currently, I don't have.

Guest tursday

Hey guys,

It seems that I can't find my ROM version in order to see if I can use Pauls rooting instructions.

can anyone help with that?

when i turn on the phone holding the 'back' button i only get the following details:

Legend unknown Ship S-ON

HBoot-0.43.0001

Microp-0816

Touch Panel-SYN07_0103

Radio-7.05.35.26L

Feb 18 2010 16:29:10

How can I tell if my rom is 1.31?

Guest bBarou
Hey guys,

It seems that I can't find my ROM version in order to see if I can use Pauls rooting instructions.

can anyone help with that?

when i turn on the phone holding the 'back' button i only get the following details:

Legend unknown Ship S-ON

HBoot-0.43.0001

Microp-0816

Touch Panel-SYN07_0103

Radio-7.05.35.26L

Feb 18 2010 16:29:10

How can I tell if my rom is 1.31?

You need to go to settings \ about phone \software information.

Guest tursday
You need to go to settings \ about phone \software information.

Got it, thanks.

So I take it that the r3 root version is the final one, with all (or most..) bugs fixed?

if another update will be posted, all i have to do is to install it again, the same way as the current version?

and one last question regarding the gold card - should i be turning the 16gb SD i bought for the phone, or just a spare 2gb sd i have only to be used for rooting? i mean will the language changes i intend to be doing will apply if i use one card for the rooting and the other for everyday use?

Edited by tursday

Guest power3d
Yes for both.

Portuguese supported

$hit men, no Portuguese at all. This was the main reason to do the rooting :P

Just flashed r3. I don't have either Portuguese local or Portuguese keyboard.

It only allows me to choose:

English (Germany)

English (Austria)

Français (Switzerland)

Français (Allemagne)

Deutsch

Italiano

Is it possible that this flash does not completely replace the ROM? How is this possible?

What is the rooting process replacing, since there are people with Portuguese locale?

Guest love_paul

local.rar

$hit men, no Portuguese at all. This was the main reason to do the rooting :P

Just flashed r3. I don't have either Portuguese local or Portuguese keyboard.

It only allows me to choose:

English (Germany)

English (Austria)

Français (Switzerland)

Français (Allemagne)

Deutsch

Italiano

Is it possible that this flash does not completely replace the ROM? How is this possible?

What is the rooting process replacing, since there are people with Portuguese locale?

Guest power3d
It fails with error [140]: bootloader version error :\

I also tried to downgrade to that stock rom to check if it has Portuguese locale, or at least English from UK or USA, but I get the same error.

I have created the goldcard and tried to flash it from fastboot and from htcSync modes.

Are there other stock RUUs?

Thanks

Guest poba

I cant root my HTC Legend...

- I made goldcard with command ''adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:*/cid' instead of 'adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid' because it could find dirtectory on HTC Legend.

- I turn off and on with 'back' button.

- Run step1-window.bat.

- And wait few hours :P about 3-4 hours.

- After that i received the message :

D:\Softs\Android\r3-legend-root>step1-windows.bat

Legend Root Step 1

Erasing cache and rebooting in RUU mode...

erasing 'cache'... OKAY

... OKAY

About to start flash...

< waiting for device >

sending 'zip' (121756 KB)... OKAY

writing 'zip'... FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

< waiting for device >

- And i turn on my Legend , its wi-fi is not working .... sad

Anyone could give me a suggest for my issue? Thanks alot.

Edited by poba