24/May r4 - HTC Legend rooting guide - Now with 1.31.x

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi!

I just bought my HTC Legend today, used and rooted already. I have the r2 MoDaCo, guess r4 is the newest one? So I would like to update, to get rid of WaveSecure which I don't have. Is it possible to do some kind of update or do I follow the steps in the guide exactly? And another thing, I will be getting a 16gb memory, does it matter if i root with the 2gb I have now?

Guest rookey

I'm not sure if I successfully installed this (latest?) release.

In Settings / Software information I see "1.31.405.4" under "Software number".

The startup sound of the HTC is again there which it wasn't with r2, so I wonder if it worked as intended or not? :lol:

thanks,

r.

Guest kazza1987

anyone help me?? my phone : bootloader: -H0.43.xxxx ROM version of 1.31.xxx.x

I tried .... but error

sorry for bad English

error:

untitled.jpg

Guest jj123
[*]Turn off your HTC Legend, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box. Connect the phone to the computer.

[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

[*]When this step has completed, REMOVE THE GOLDCARD and either format it and replace, or replace with a different (non goldcard) microSD.

[*]Navigate to the 'BOOTLOADER' and then 'RECOVERY' option on the menu, using the volume buttons to move and the power button to select.

[*]In the terminal window, enter either 'step2-windows.bat', './step2-mac.sh' or './step2-linux.sh' as appropriate.

[*]When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'.

I've created a goldcard, but point number 3 in this list is unclear to me: how would I remove the goldcard from the phone without removing the battery first? From what I understand here, the phone should not be powered off, between step1 and step2, but I can't open the back of the phone to get to the microsd compartment, without first removing the battery, which stops the phone...

cheers

Guest alexandru.statie

Ok, so as far as i understand there is no way rooting your Legend if it's not branded without a goldcard. Having the standard ROM, i don't need to save my ROM. So won't it just work by skipping step 1 completely?

Another thing: can you please tell me what does ROM version stand for?

Thank you!

Guest borgfather
I've created a goldcard, but point number 3 in this list is unclear to me: how would I remove the goldcard from the phone without removing the battery first? From what I understand here, the phone should not be powered off, between step1 and step2, but I can't open the back of the phone to get to the microsd compartment, without first removing the battery, which stops the phone...

cheers

don't worry ! just power off the phone

no problem

Guest yrrefyyy

Hey Paul!

Do you have any idea when (and íf!) we can expect a root for version 1.32? It'd be great, as lots of people seem to have that version.

Love your work, keep it up!

Guest Dr.Romca

Hi Paul! Thanks for the tutorial, had a few problems making the goldcard but worked them all out.

Now I have noticed you say that you cannot upgrade any rom by just going into recovery mode, well seems that you can. Here's how I did it:

I connected the phone to a PC, went into recovery mode (Just a picture of a phone and big triangle with exclamation mark was on the display)

Then I ran step2-windows.bat from your rooting procedure, then after a minute, I chose upgrade from ZIP file and it worked.

Now I have much faster :D 2.03 (rooted, but it was originally 1.31) from xda-developers (thanks guys!) here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=698421

It didn't even erase the phone memory (all apps and data remained)

I hope this is useful for someone!

Enjoy! :)

Edited by Dr.Romca

Guest samoverduin

I have just tried to root my phone but something seems to be wrong somewhere

I have bootloader 0.43.0000001 (or something like that) and a rom version of 1.31.x (cant remember exactly)

I successfully made a goldcard, did step 1 and (I think) successfully did step 2. It went into the custom recovery screen but I couldnt navigate with the volume buttons. I also couldnt use the power button to select. I could use power and vol up to go to the standard recovery screen.

everything seems succesful in the screen on my computer but at the bottom of the recovery screen on my phone it says: "build : not set"

I have tried repeating step2-linux.sh and touching the screen itself but to no avail. I have also tried the whole process via linux and windows.

I would appreciate the help! is there any way to interface with the custom recovery screen via usb maybe?

Sam

ps. output of the step2-linux:

Legend Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

[sudo] password for root:

Sorry, try again.

[sudo] password for root:

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

push: files/system/bin/linker -> /system/bin/linker

push: files/system/bin/sh -> /system/bin/sh

push: files/system/lib/libc.so -> /system/lib/libc.so

push: files/system/lib/liblog.so -> /system/lib/liblog.so

push: files/system/lib/libcutils.so -> /system/lib/libcutils.so

push: files/system/lib/libstdc++.so -> /system/lib/libstdc++.so

push: files/system/lib/libm.so -> /system/lib/libm.so

push: files/sbin/unyaffs -> /sbin/unyaffs

push: files/sbin/busybox -> /sbin/busybox

push: files/sbin/dump_image -> /sbin/dump_image

push: files/sbin/mkyaffs2image -> /sbin/mkyaffs2image

push: files/sbin/parted -> /sbin/parted

push: files/sbin/log2sd -> /sbin/log2sd

push: files/sbin/e2fsck -> /sbin/e2fsck

push: files/sbin/sdparted -> /sbin/sdparted

push: files/sbin/adbd -> /sbin/adbd

push: files/sbin/ums_toggle -> /sbin/ums_toggle

push: files/sbin/tune2fs -> /sbin/tune2fs

push: files/sbin/flash_image -> /sbin/flash_image

push: files/sbin/backuptool.sh -> /sbin/backuptool.sh

push: files/sbin/nandroid-mobile.sh -> /sbin/nandroid-mobile.sh

push: files/sbin/fix_permissions -> /sbin/fix_permissions

push: files/sbin/toolbox -> /sbin/toolbox

push: files/sbin/wipe -> /sbin/wipe

push: files/sbin/mke2fs -> /sbin/mke2fs

push: files/sbin/um -> /sbin/um

push: files/sbin/fs -> /sbin/fs

push: files/sbin/recovery -> /sbin/recovery

push: files/sbin/reboot -> /sbin/reboot

push: files/etc/mtab -> /etc/mtab

push: files/etc/fstab -> /etc/fstab

31 files pushed. 0 files skipped.

1028 KB/s (3734509 bytes in 3.545s)

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

986 KB/s (110689022 bytes in 109.602s)

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

nohup: appending output to nohup.out

Guest Dr.Romca
I have just tried to root my phone but something seems to be wrong somewhere

I have bootloader 0.43.0000001 (or something like that) and a rom version of 1.31.x (cant remember exactly)

I successfully made a goldcard, did step 1 and (I think) successfully did step 2. It went into the custom recovery screen but I couldnt navigate with the volume buttons. I also couldnt use the power button to select. I could use power and vol up to go to the standard recovery screen.

everything seems succesful in the screen on my computer but at the bottom of the recovery screen on my phone it says: "build : not set"

I have tried repeating step2-linux.sh and touching the screen itself but to no avail. I have also tried the whole process via linux and windows.

I would appreciate the help! is there any way to interface with the custom recovery screen via usb maybe?

Sam

Hi, just a thought here, but did you actually tried trackball? I used trackball in the recovery menu, also it took my legend quite a while to get to the menu.

Once I was in the recovery screen (big triangle with exclamation mark) with the goldcard out of the phone, I ran step2 and it took a good minute or two to get there.

I actually did this procedure twice, once with the original zip and once with the upgrade I posted couple of posts back.

Good luck! :angry:

Guest samoverduin

I dont think I have actually!

But last time I did step 1 and 2 it did a factory reset. If it does it again then I'm actually not sure that I want to root. Is it normal that you get a factory reset with root or did I just mess something up myself (I think I might have accidentally messed in the settings)?

thanks for the help!

Sam

Guest FYFI_13
The only thing that I can see is that testimage.zip is not loading on Legend and that means that no one can run step1.sh successfully.

testimage.zip is an edited/tweaked 1.23.... and this is a problem for legend with 1.31.... ROM on it.

Solution (as I can see it): tweak 1.31.... ROM and all will be OK!

Great move by Paul!!! Keep it ON!!!

gr.

Could you be more detail on that please? As the others i'm stuck at "step1"... Thank you.

PS. Software nr. 1.31.405.5, baseband 47.26.35.04U_7.05.35.26L, HBOOT 0.43.0001

Edited by FYFI_13

Guest Dr.Romca
I dont think I have actually!

But last time I did step 1 and 2 it did a factory reset. If it does it again then I'm actually not sure that I want to root. Is it normal that you get a factory reset with root or did I just mess something up myself (I think I might have accidentally messed in the settings)?

Sam,

Of course it does, it erases everything from your internal memory. Funny thing is that when I did the procedure again to upgrade from 1.31 to 2.03, it didn't, but that really depends on the upgrade file and whether you do the step 1.

Guest Gonzopolis

The guide worked out great for my legend. It's rooted and everything.

But now it's "forgetting" all installed apps after restarting (not after the first restart, but after 2-3 restarts).

I tried your custom ROM. First without a2sd, then I flashed the one with a2sd, partitioned the sd-card and then the problems began. I thought it was because of a2sd so i repartitioned the sd-card and reflashed the first rom.

But the forgetting still happens. Information like Googleaccounts or WiFi are still there, but most of the apps (even the market which should be default) are gone.

Guest borgfather
The guide worked out great for my legend. It's rooted and everything.

But now it's "forgetting" all installed apps after restarting (not after the first restart, but after 2-3 restarts).

I tried your custom ROM. First without a2sd, then I flashed the one with a2sd, partitioned the sd-card and then the problems began. I thought it was because of a2sd so i repartitioned the sd-card and reflashed the first rom.

But the forgetting still happens. Information like Googleaccounts or WiFi are still there, but most of the apps (even the market which should be default) are gone.

i had the same problem

it copys all apps to your sdcard ( if there is a EXT2/3 or 4 partition )

i got it resolved when i deleted the ext partition

format your sd card to one single FAT partiton

and reinstall the rom

succes

Guest Gonzopolis

Ok thanks for the answer. I hope it's working now. I formated the sd-card with FAT32 but I don't know how to see the other partitions (if there are any left).

Guest borgfather
Ok thanks for the answer. I hope it's working now. I formated the sd-card with FAT32 but I don't know how to see the other partitions (if there are any left).

do you use Windows or linux ?

if you use windows you can use the fdisk on the command line

in case of linux: i use gparted to see the structure of my sd card

Guest valxp

Hi,

I have downgraded my phone from 1.32 to 1.31.

now I want to root my phone but the download links for r4-legend-root.zip are down (or give me corrupted file)

can anyone give me the file (or paul re-upload the file) ?

thanks!

(ps : I'm french, I hope that you can understand my poor english)

EDIT : I have found this here (megaupload) the md5 is the same

Edited by valxp

Guest paviol

I need help! Ive done everything. I downgraded (

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725430
) The HBOOT is 0.430001. I wanted to root it again. I made a goldcard successfully went through step1-windows.bat also successfully. BUT step2-windows.bat
C:\legend>step2-windows.bat

Legend Root Step 2

Pushing required files to device...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Pushing update file to device sdcard - this may take a few minutes...

Now wipe and apply rootedupdate.zip from the recovery image menu.

also when I check adb devices it doesn't show the device (at recovery state)

any ideas?