HD2 or Desire?

Guest lick_the_fish

Guest lick_the_fish

Hi there

I am due an upgrade on my contract in the not too distant future, and I am looking at one of the two phones above.

My current (now sold) phone was a Samsung Omnia 8gb with a custom wm 6.5 rom running manila 2.0.

From what I understand, the HD2 is an excellent phone and coming from a WM background (with manila) would make "sense" (sorry :P ) to go with what I know.

However I ike the tight integration with Facebook etc. that comes with Android phones, so I am seriously considering the Desire also.

I suppose my question is, how integrated with FB is the HD2? Can I upload photo's etc straight to FB without messing around with emails? Can I update my status in the same way? (I know I could install SPB Mob Shell but I like the Touchflo UI) Can I see all my friends status' etc a'la friendstream?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I'm going to be tied to 24 months with a phone, I want to make sure I will be able to at least better the experience I had with the Omnia (which was great imo - never had a problem with WM, in fact I like the fact its so complex as I'm a little bit of a geek when it comes to phones!)

Any help or advice you can give would be great. Thanks :huh:

Guest NarutoDKz

I'm getting a desire in about one day.

The HD2 is probably the best windows mobile around, while the desire runs android which is evolving to be a better OS than even Iphone OS.

But you should read some reviews about both phones and then decide for yourself.

Good luck

-Naruto

Guest andybarker

I've had an HD2 for a few months now, and found the Facebook integration a bit of a pain as I don't use it that much. Was fun to try a bit though.

What I can tell you is that you can attach each contact in your phone's contact list with a Facebook friend of yours (once you give it your account details, it looks up likely matches in your FB account).

Then you can see their latest posts much as you would their latest SMS or emails. I've seen options in the camera app to upload to Facebook and Flickr too.

Take a look at the quick start guide, it will give you a pretty good heads up.

http://member.america.htc.com/download/web...HTC_WWE_QSG.pdf

Guest lick_the_fish
I've had an HD2 for a few months now, and found the Facebook integration a bit of a pain as I don't use it that much. Was fun to try a bit though.

What I can tell you is that you can attach each contact in your phone's contact list with a Facebook friend of yours (once you give it your account details, it looks up likely matches in your FB account).

Then you can see their latest posts much as you would their latest SMS or emails. I've seen options in the camera app to upload to Facebook and Flickr too.

Take a look at the quick start guide, it will give you a pretty good heads up.

http://member.america.htc.com/download/web...HTC_WWE_QSG.pdf

Excellent info thanks very much, you may have just swayed me in favour of staying with WM as that's basically the same integration as Android :huh:

Guest andybarker
Excellent info thanks very much, you may have just swayed me in favour of staying with WM as that's basically the same integration as Android :huh:

Glad to be able to help. Good luck whichever device / OS you choose.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thesufi

i just had my first look at an hd2 next to a desire in my local t-mobile shop. some thoughts:

pro- desire:

- the oled screen on the desire is noticeably brighter/ more vibrant.

- the hd2 is just a little on the large side

- hd2 feels delicate -- like if i dropped it or knocked it, it would be toast. nowhere to attach a safety lanyard to the body so i'll need a pouch.

pro- hd2:

- i have apps on my existing winmo phone for which there are maybe no android equivalents, eg. tomtom 7 and wmwifirouter, nodata? memorymap?

- can install apps on sd card.

anti- t-mobile (i'm currently with orange):

- t-mobile charge for accessing answerphone 12p/min.

- if you buy in a t-mobile shop, you get no cooling-off period so better to buy online.

- t-mobile has just been bought by orange -- don't know if that's a plus of minus. what's going to happen to their 3GB FUP on data?

- t-mobile supplies branded phones -- again don't know if that's a plus or minus. could always buy from a reseller and get an unbranded one sim-only on t-mobile.

a friend has just bought a nexus 1 (desire) and i should be able to have a better look at his tomorrow.

desicions, decisions.

Edited by thesufi

Guest andybarker
i just had my first look at an hd2 next to a desire in my local t-mobile shop. some thoughts:

pro- desire:

- the oled screen on the desire is noticeably brighter/ more vibrant.

- the hd2 is just a little on the large side

- hd2 feels delicate -- like if i dropped it or knocked it, it would be toast. nowhere to attach a safety lanyard to the body so i'll need a pouch.

pro- hd2:

- i have apps on my existing winmo phone for which there are maybe no android equivalents, eg. tomtom 7 and wmwifirouter, nodata? memorymap?

- can install apps on sd card.

anti- t-mobile (i'm currently with orange):

- t-mobile charge for accessing answerphone 12p/min.

- if you buy in a t-mobile shop, you get no cooling-off period so better to buy online.

- t-mobile has just been bought by orange -- don't know if that's a plus of minus. what's going to happen to their 3GB FUP on data?

- t-mobile supplies branded phones -- again don't know if that's a plus or minus. could always buy from a reseller and get an unbranded one sim-only on t-mobile.

a friend has just bought a nexus 1 (desire) and i should be able to have a better look at his tomorrow.

desicions, decisions.

I've not noticed the size being a problem - just had to think about where to put the phone in clothing. Bought a belt clip case for it, makes life much easier and also protects it really well if I throw it in a bag.

I've dropped my HD2 once already... dented the outer rubbery edge of the phone. Survived OK, but can't fix the dent without replacing the case. They are heavy enough, and delicate enough to need a reasonable amount of care. Then again, found that to be true (to varying degrees) of all my WM / touch screen devices so far.

Regards T-Mobile. Given the price per month and what you get, I'm extremely happy. I didn't even need the Booster, so made it free landline calls - has become my main phone now! £25pcm for 900 minutes to any network, internet included, and free landline calls 24x7.

Cooling off period is not applicable when buying from any store of any network, unless they are very generous. I would recommend buying online, unless you really know you like the phone or just prefer buying in-person.

I doubt that Orange / T-Mobile will change much for some time (a year at least I would think). Lots to plan. I would expect them to start merging towers, etc. and possibly keep the brands apart maybe?

The branding of the phone is only in the software with the HD2, and pretty easy to replace if you want. Is pretty subtle branding from my experience compared with previous T-Mobile phones.

Guest LessThanSte

I tried the desire in the carphone warehouse and couldnt get my head around it, it felt very gimmicky. I couldnt try the HD2 because it wasnt in stock anywhere so i bought one from mobiles.co.uk who have a returns period so you can try it with another sim card and see. Im glad i went with the HD2, personally, but then maybe if i had a play with the desire properly for a few days then it may be different.

One point re: damage with the HD2, a friend of mine has had a HD2 for a few months now, and shes the kind that falls over and drops things a lot when shes drunk (an ex-student). I had a fiddle with her phone the other day and its not got a scratch on it, despite being dropped loads of times in clubs and all sorts. The screen is, apparently, very scratch resistant.

I have now had my HD2 for 2 weeks and there isnt a single mark on it.

Guest mooves

I have both and will be putting up the HD2 for sale soon. Android is so much faster in every aspect: booting, browsing, typing, installing apps from the market (the apps on from MS Marketplace are non-existent). The AMOLED screen is brighter, vibrant and sharper, it's cheaper (in Aus at least), rootable, and custom ROMs are available, more customisable including actually putting widgets and shortcuts on the homescreen. I could go on forever...... anyhow go Desire and you won't look back.

The most frustrating things for me about the HD2 are: WinMo is sloooooow, the remnants of WinCE is quite disturbing... eg. When there is no network and you receive a prompt "unable to dial connection.... Dismiss" WTF. Don't get me started on WinMo deciding to use 3G when I explicitly disable it!

Desire gets big ticks from me. My ultimate would be the HD2 form-factor with AMOLED screen, 8MP camera, Android with the Nexus softkeys.... closest thing is the Evo 4G. Too bad we don't have a 4G network in Oz.

Guest Skilty
I have both and will be putting up the HD2 for sale soon. Android is so much faster in every aspect: booting, browsing, typing.

sorry I can't agree with that, I got both and the desire went back. I found browsing and typing to be the same, the camera on the HD2 is better (after several tests),

with android once you start installing things on it, it can slow down too (I know rooting it would probably help on that front).

my main reasons of sticking with the HD2 were..

screen size - bigger is better

If you've come from winmo phones before then this will be a dream, it's soo much smoother and faster

customisation - i tried android skinning/iphone/winmo .... winmo is still much more customisable and suits my need to faff with my phone

My Player - brilliant iplayer/live tv app (android simply does'nt have this at the moment...beebplayer is crap compared)

Fpsece - hours of playstation gaming to be had... full Gran Turismo 2 all over again

and finally XDA-Devs - every phone i've had has been massively improved by using that forum... i'm sure there will be android and win 7 ports for HD2 anyway..so best of all worlds!

As far as facebook is concerned... I found it really easy, you can set up all you phone contacts to use their facebook profile, any pictures can be easily uploaded to facebook too, with the option to tag and add comments... There's also a facebook tab for Sense now that you can see all updates etc.

just my pennies worth, it's each to their own opinion/needs!

Edited by Skilty