Too many chiefs... HTC Desire official root guide?

Guest Sirakos

Guest Sirakos

Hi Everyone, I'm consistently impressed by how helpful and friendly everyone on this forum is. It's fantastic.

I was wondering if Paul or someone could create one official post about how to root the HTC Desire, and keep that one post locked, and updated as things change? That way noobs like me, don't have to read every single varying post and check the dates of said posts to see if we are using an older method that will clash with a newer method etc.

I'd be happy to create it myself, except I have no idea how to root my device, and only know what I've read on the many varying posts on this forum.

One specific post to rule them all, on how to root a specific device would be a great way to keep people up to date on where the root process is at, the pros, the cons, and what is coming?

Thanks, from sirakos in australia.

Guest geek78
Hi Everyone, I'm consistently impressed by how helpful and friendly everyone on this forum is. It's fantastic.

I was wondering if Paul or someone could create one official post about how to root the HTC Desire, and keep that one post locked, and updated as things change? That way noobs like me, don't have to read every single varying post and check the dates of said posts to see if we are using an older method that will clash with a newer method etc.

I'd be happy to create it myself, except I have no idea how to root my device, and only know what I've read on the many varying posts on this forum.

One specific post to rule them all, on how to root a specific device would be a great way to keep people up to date on where the root process is at, the pros, the cons, and what is coming?

Thanks, from sirakos in australia.

Hum hum... And the 1st post of the pinned thread ?

Guest Sirakos
Hum hum... And the 1st post of the pinned thread ?

The 1st post, which is pinned has 1,135 posts and counting. Half way, on page 30ish, the process changes completely. I'm not saying I'm ungrateful, I am very grateful, I'm merely asking that a locked post that is UPDATED by way of overwriting older information be created, so that noobs like me don't worry we aren't reading the most up to date instructions on what to do.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks something like this would be more productive and easier to understand?

Guest geek78
The 1st post, which is pinned has 1,135 posts and counting. Half way, on page 30ish, the process changes completely. I'm not saying I'm ungrateful, I am very grateful, I'm merely asking that a locked post that is UPDATED by way of overwriting older information be created, so that noobs like me don't worry we aren't reading the most up to date instructions on what to do.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks something like this would be more productive and easier to understand?

You just need the 1st post, this is the method :huh:

Guest Sirakos
You just need the 1st post, this is the method :huh:

Thanks,

I guess I'm just confused, because the first post was posted like 5 days ago, and lots seems to have changed since then? And because there are close to 500 replies after that post that say 'this is broken, and this doesn't work' etc.

I guess in an ideal world, I'd love a post that says:

"This is how you root your HTC Desire. Ignore all others tutorials, this is the most up to date, everything works, including wifi tethering."

haha. Maybe I can create the title, and paul can write the tutorial.

Guest charlie_boy
I guess I'm just confused, because the first post was posted like 5 days ago, and lots seems to have changed since then? And because there are close to 500 replies after that post that say 'this is broken, and this doesn't work' etc.

As changes occurred Paul updated the first post. that's why its R3 (revision 3). any further advancements inmaking it easier will also appear in the first post of that thread. (assuming paul came up with/endorses then)

Edited by charlie_boy

Guest Sirakos
As changes occurred Paul updated the first post. that's why its R3 (revision 3). any further advancements inmaking it easier will also appear in that thread. (assuming paul came up with/endorses then)

Thanks, I noticed you have a desire. Did you get wifi tethering working on it yet ?

Guest charlie_boy
Thanks, I noticed you have a desire. Did you get wifi tethering working on it yet ?

No, It's not working yet. Some good people are working on it though. Shouldn't be long!

Guest Sirakos
No, It's not working yet. Some good people are working on it though. Shouldn't be long!

Can I ask where you're looking to see the good people working on the wifi thing? I'd love to stalk you, but it might be faster just to ask.

Guest charlie_boy
Can I ask where you're looking to see the good people working on the wifi thing? I'd love to stalk you, but it might be faster just to ask.

I have just spotted the rom kitchen allows you to select wifi tethering and bake a rom with it included (missed that!) become a plus member and buse the kitchen to bake a rom with wifi tethering. It's so easy, you just check (tick) the items you want in your rom, hit go, and a rom with all your preferences is baked for you!

This is some serious thread drift though so if you need further help PM me!

Edited by charlie_boy

Guest 2wheels
You just need the 1st post, this is the method wink.gif

Unless I've missed something, this is not correct. Where is the reference to the simpler Windows method in the first two posts? I used the Windows method but had to collate two or three posts of information to do it.I think because of the weekend/holiday in the UK, it's got a bit messy (too many chiefs).

Vince

Guest charlie_boy
Unless I've missed something, this is not correct. Where is the reference to the simpler Windows method in the first two posts? I used the Windows method but had to collate two or three posts of information to do it.I think because of the weekend/holiday in the UK, it's got a bit messy (too many chiefs).

Vince

This is, of course, a matter of opinion but I definitely think that the Linux method with the downloaded, bootable, Linux ISO with all the scripts included and the update in place is much easier. Paul may post the windows method too after the long weekend but I am guessing probably not as the Linux method evolved to be very strait forward very quickly.

Guest 2wheels
This is, of course, a matter of opinion but I definitely think that the Linux method with the downloaded, bootable, Linux ISO with all the scripts included and the update in place is much easier. Paul may post the windows method too after the long weekend but I am guessing probably not as the Linux method evolved to be very strait forward very quickly.

You may be right of course, because I didn't try the Linux method :huh: . However, Paul was impressed with the work nilezon had produced, and as most people are more comfortable using Windows, it seems sensible to give them that choice. As you say, it's just my opinion.

Vince

Guest Sirakos
New r4 method up tomorrow with Windows / Linux / OSX methods.

P

Ooh. that should be something to look forward too. Thank you. It's a shame HTC has made it so tricky this time around. I just want wifi tether, and have to root the phone to get it :huh:

Guest Kehaan
New r4 method up tomorrow with Windows / Linux / OSX methods.

P

Wow osx method sounds great. Looks like its root time tomorrow.

Thank Paul.

From kehaan