Google contacts - how to prevent "Most contacted" from showing in the phone

Guest squrl

Guest squrl

Haha very funny. Too bad I don't have a wife :huh:

Seriously guys, I'm getting annoyed by scrolling through a neverending list of people I've sent a mail or two, when I'm writing a SMS and actually want to select a person from my contact list...

Guest kayceejayh
Haha very funny. Too bad I don't have a wife :huh:

Seriously guys, I'm getting annoyed by scrolling through a neverending list of people I've sent a mail or two, when I'm writing a SMS and actually want to select a person from my contact list...

I think in the Contacts you press Menu, and then 'View' and untick something like 'Show auto Gmail contacts' should help.

K

Guest Snarkasm

There used to be a way to only sync certain groups you could create within your Google contacts on the site, but that's gone on the Desire. However, if you go to People and hit menu, you can go to View Contacts and check off a couple different groups you want to see (check SIM, Exchange, FB, whatever, and check the Google box, but uncheck "Show auto Gmail contacts") - might that work for you? You can also check to only see contacts with phone numbers. That should trim down your list. It's working for me.

Guest afiorillo

I think you'll have to apply to contacts the same law made for Gmail: search, don't sort. :huh:

Just use the phone keypad to write down the desired name (à la T9), and voilà.

Guest squrl

Unticked "Show auto Gmail contacts", but the problem persists. I don't see unwanted contacts inside People app, but in the SMS app, when I tap on the head icon next to "To:" column to select a contact, I still see people I once or twice contacted through mail or Gtalk. Pisses me off.

Edited by squrl

Guest Snarkasm

I can't reproduce that, but I may have a different SMS app than you do. :/

Two options: start at the People app when creating an SMS to somebody you haven't talked with before - you can send an SMS from their contact page, or type a name instead of browsing through your contact list by clicking the head. Search should be more effective than browsing.

I know it's not a fix, but... maybe you'll have better luck with other SMS apps. Try Handcent, etc.

Guest squrl

Yeah I know, typing to search is way more effective than scrolling through a list but still I dont want my phone bloated with contacts I will never use again :huh:

PS: I'm using the stock SMS app