Newb Needs help updating from 2.3 to 3.3

Guest crusader007

Guest crusader007

Hi all im quite new to all this flashing / updating roms etc..

i have just brought a G2 hero from ebay and it should be with me by wedneday, however it has already been rooted and is is flashed with madaco 2.3,

first of all is it worth updating to 3.3 ? if so could someone tell me step by step instructions in plain english on how to update to 3.3,

also is it easy to swap back to the officail software / firmware as i have heard that google are releasing an official app2sd on there next software update, and that is the main reason i wanted a custom rom phone.

please help

Crusader007

Guest Wilkcos

Yes it is worth going to Modaco 3.2, it's the best 1.5 rom IMO, and the kitchen facility is just great.

- Flashing is generally straight forward, it involves:

- Downloading your new rom and put the zip onto your sdcard.

- Load into recovery image from power off (Home and power key if your unaware).*

- Do a nandroid backup (If the flash goes wrong, you have a known working rom to fall back on).

- As it has 2.2 there is no need to wipe, but as the phone is new you may want to do this anyway.

- Finally flash the zip file you put on your sdcard.

- Reboot phone and Wait, and I say wait cos it can take its time on the first boot after flashing.

I wouldn't worry about going back to stock, any official updates to the hero will be implemented into mocado 4.

3.2 has apps2sd support anyway, just involves partitioning your sdcard, pretty straight forward with the latest recovery image below.

* Not sure what version of the recovery image the phone will have, the latest version can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=561124

Finally there is loads of info out there on anything android just involves having a good look around, but I do know how daunting it can be at the start.

Guest crusader007

what are the main differences between the two verions? and what is this Kitchen that i keep hearing about?

is there much chance i will brick the phone by updating it?

Guest crusader007
If only there was a place where these questions had been asked and answered a million times before.

where can i find them questions and answers then?

what are the main differences between the two verions? and what is this Kitchen that i keep hearing about?

is there much chance i will brick the phone by updating it?

Click here and scroll down to the changelog.

There have been vast improvements in performance between 2.3 and 3.2 including kernel changes and updates to programs.

There is also better task and memory handling in 3.2 and you can use the Kitchen to tailor what gets installed on your phone.

Make sure your battery is charged before proceeding to flash anything on your phone, if you lose power then you could brick your phone. Don't take the battery out part way through or that will brick it too!

You will want to upgrade the radio as well as the ROM. Click here for the list of radios.

If only there was a place where these questions had been asked and answered a million times before.

An FAQ would be a good thing to have pinned so that everyone will be able to see what to do. The same questions get asked over and over because there is no clear FAQ.

Guest crusader007
An FAQ would be a good thing to have pinned so that everyone will be able to see what to do. The same questions get asked over and over because there is no clear FAQ.

hi do i have to update the radios at that is why im so unsure about updating this phone at all as i had a g1 i rooted it and installed a custom rom and when i updated the radios it killed and bricked my g1.

i think i could prob manage to install the new 3.3 rom but i am really unsure about installing the radios?

hi do i have to update the radios at that is why im so unsure about updating this phone at all as i had a g1 i rooted it and installed a custom rom and when i updated the radios it killed and bricked my g1.

i think i could prob manage to install the new 3.3 rom but i am really unsure about installing the radios?

Copy the radio zip file to your SD card and then boot into recovery to apply the zip file. Reboot the phone from the recovery screen and it will apply the radio update. Leave your phone to do this and you shouldn't have a problem.

If you pulled the battery while it was flashing the radio as it looked like it was taking too long, then that would explain you bricking your g1.

Guest crusader007
Copy the radio zip file to your SD card and then boot into recovery to apply the zip file. Reboot the phone from the recovery screen and it will apply the radio update. Leave your phone to do this and you shouldn't have a problem.

If you pulled the battery while it was flashing the radio as it looked like it was taking too long, then that would explain you bricking your g1.

i used that exact method to update the radio on g1 and it bricked it?, do i have to flash the radio? i would prefer not to update radio!

Guest Wilkcos
i used that exact method to update the radio on g1 and it bricked it?, do i have to flash the radio? i would prefer not to update radio!

Quote by paul from the 3.2 thread, 'I also strongly recommend installing the latest radio (63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29 at time of writing).'

So take that as you may, but i would be flashing this radio if i was you.

Guest crusader007
Quote by paul from the 3.2 thread, 'I also strongly recommend installing the latest radio (63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29 at time of writing).'

So take that as you may, but i would be flashing this radio if i was you.

OK perhaps somebody could tell me where i went wrong when i tried to update the radios on my G1 then i wont make the same mistake on my G2?

i first off all booted in to the recovery menu (Amon raa) i think it was, i then installed the main custom ROM by copying the rom i wanted to SD card then putting card into G1 and selecting install from SD update.zip. then i deleted the update zip ROM from the card and copied the radios to the card as update.zip and installed this the same way (install from SD update.zip). then the phone booted to the G1 screen and wouldn't go any further, i left it for about 2 hrs and nothing.

please can somebody tell me if this is wrong and the exact correct procedure step by step. IE what to install first IE the ROM or the radios and how to install each. (as i remember at the time i was told i flashed / updated somthing the wrong way round) i was told i should have flashed the radio before flashing the SPL ( whats a SPL) also is this right do i flash the radio before SPL.

thank you all for you help so far

Crusader

Guest crusader007
OK perhaps somebody could tell me where i went wrong when i tried to update the radios on my G1 then i wont make the same mistake on my G2?

i first off all booted in to the recovery menu (Amon raa) i think it was, i then installed the main custom ROM by copying the rom i wanted to SD card then putting card into G1 and selecting install from SD update.zip. then i deleted the update zip ROM from the card and copied the radios to the card as update.zip and installed this the same way (install from SD update.zip). then the phone booted to the G1 screen and wouldn't go any further, i left it for about 2 hrs and nothing.

please can somebody tell me if this is wrong and the exact correct procedure step by step. IE what to install first IE the ROM or the radios and how to install each. (as i remember at the time i was told i flashed / updated somthing the wrong way round) i was told i should have flashed the radio before flashing the SPL ( whats a SPL) also is this right do i flash the radio before SPL.

Crusader

Anyone?

Guest zorm

Only guesses: did you reboot your phone between applying update.zips? You should be, as otherwise it's just possible the updates might trample on each other in unanticipated ways. Did you dismount your card prior to physically removing it? I'm paranoid about errors so often run md5sum over a file, after I've put it on the card, to check it still matches the expected value.

I usually flash main rom then any radio update last. Not had any problems so far. You don't need to replace the spl (secondary program loader), so safest to leave alone. So, flash main rom from recovery, reboot at least once, flash radio from recovery, reboot; at which point you should see the pic of a box, arrow & phone (indicating data is moving from storage into the phone) - this is when the radio is actually being written to internal flash. Once that's done you should be able to reboot normally.

If you did that before, then either you've been unlucky or maybe there's a physical problem with USB cabling or your PSU which is corrupting the data at some point.