Before i root

Guest abc27

Guest abc27

I've a few short questions before I root. First of all I have a generic Desire with the stock 4gb card (My only micro SD card). What I want to do is root and get apps2sd. Is there any risk involved in using the Windows method? How can I back up my settings, texts, apps e.t.c. Can the phone be "unrooted" and if so how? Just flashing a stock rom?

Guest 42turkeys
I've a few short questions before I root. First of all I have a generic Desire with the stock 4gb card (My only micro SD card). What I want to do is root and get apps2sd. Is there any risk involved in using the Windows method? How can I back up my settings, texts, apps e.t.c. Can the phone be "unrooted" and if so how? Just flashing a stock rom?
  1. There is the same amount of risk involved doing the Windows method than any other method i.e. Very Little! :huh:
  2. You can get a backup app from the Market to backup stuff but not settings
  3. You can unroot the phone by using my unroot guide
Unroot your HTC Desire

As a n00b, I would use the Tiny Core Linux method of rooting as it's easier and there's less chance of user error!

Guest afiorillo

abc27, surely you can backup and restore SMS, MMS and almost all your settings too. Just save the /backup folder on your MicroSD before partition it. Then copy that directory back to the fat32 partition and at the first Configuration Wizard run it'll be restored for you.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest abc27

Apologies for my short first post, I understand I sounded a bit noobish there but I typed out that post in a shop on my phone so I couldn't be all articulate about it :huh:

Anyways, I amn't that new to all this it's just that I want to clarify some things first before I get stuck in. Gonna get going now.

Is APPS2SD too complicated/risky? I can wait until FroYo if it's going to be risky. I've heard of a few phones losing SD Card and USB access.

Guest Sirakos

Once the phone is rooted, can you auto update when HTC releases updates? I know, silly question. Just want to be sure.

Guest lanxton
Once the phone is rooted, can you auto update when HTC releases updates? I know, silly question. Just want to be sure.

Once a phone is rooted, you will have to manually control the updates. Otherwise, the update from the provider/HTC will not be applied to its intended target files and root access may be overwritten and lost. Strange results can occur when you apply an update to an unintended target. Also, some updates can be "incremental", which means they will only apply properly to specific target files.

Guest Sirakos
Once a phone is rooted, you will have to manually control the updates. Otherwise, the update from the provider/HTC will not be applied to its intended target files and root access may be overwritten and lost. Strange results can occur when you apply an update to an unintended target. Also, some updates can be "incremental", which means they will only apply properly to specific target files.

Thank you.

It's a shame we have to go to so much trouble. I'm only after wifi tether. Thats all I wan't, but to get it, I have to jump almost as many hurdles to hack my iphone. Actually, more hurdles now that iphone Dev team Spirit is out. :huh: