MMS receiving

Guest stevenz

Guest stevenz

I've recently just got an N1 as an update from my Hero. I was using VillainROM 5.x on the Hero and it could receive and download MMS messages fine. I've plugged the _exact_ same settings into the N1 running the current CM from Pauls kitchen, and while it receives the notification of the MMS, the download is failing. Any idea what might be different?

Settings are;

Name: Telecom

APN: wap.telecom.co.nz

Proxy: 210.55.11.73

Port: 80

Username: Blank

Password: Blank

Server: Blank

MMSC: http://lsmmsc.xtra.co.nz

MMS Proxy: 210.55.11.73

MMS Port: 80

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 530

MNC: 05

Authentication Type: None

APN Type: default,mms

If I separate it into 2 different APNs then I get the same problem.

Any ideas what might be different?

Edited by stevenz

Guest Scott Ricketts
I've recently just got an N1 as an update from my Hero. I was using VillainROM 5.x on the Hero and it could receive and download MMS messages fine. I've plugged the _exact_ same settings into the N1 running the current CM from Pauls kitchen, and while it receives the notification of the MMS, the download is failing. Any idea what might be different?

Settings are;

Name: Telecom

APN: wap.telecom.co.nz

Proxy: 210.55.11.73

Port: 80

Username: Blank

Password: Blank

Server: Blank

MMSC: http://lsmmsc.xtra.co.nz

MMS Proxy: 210.55.11.73

MMS Port: 80

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 530

MNC: 05

Authentication Type: None

APN Type: default,mms

If I separate it into 2 different APNs then I get the same problem.

Any ideas what might be different?

Have you tried downgrading the radio? That's been the solution for a lot of us in the US.

Guest G d T S

Hi steven,

same problem here in Germany with O2. I can send MMS with an max of 300kb but eavery time I receive a MMS the download fails just as it is in your case.

I have one suspicion: The KB limit for incoming MMS is low (each MMS received had approx 250kb) and that's the reason why I can't receive it. The thin with the radio would be too bad as I don't want to root my N1 at the moment.

So if there's anyone out there with a solution it'd be highly appreciated.

Gewürz

Guest stevenz

Tried downgrading to the 03 radio from the shipped 04 one, no help unfortunately, does seem to have improved reception slightly though which is nice.

I'll try sending a tiny MMS and see if that works...

Guest crimz
Tried downgrading to the 03 radio from the shipped 04 one, no help unfortunately, does seem to have improved reception slightly though which is nice.

I'll try sending a tiny MMS and see if that works...

For anyone having issues downloading their MMS try the following:

1) Make two Access Points, one for Data and one for MMS

2) For the DATA APN, enter "default,supl" for the APN Type field

3) For the mms APN, enter "mms" for the APN Type field

They are case sensitive.

Seems Android will use an empty APN Type for all it's connections unless otherwise specified.

Props to Wysie from XDA-Dev forums - it took my ages to find a solution for this issue.

Guest stevenz

I just tried Pauls r22 of the Nexus Desire ROM and MMS receipt works in it, with the same settings I was using with the CM ROM. So, it looks like HTC have done something with the MMS backend in their 2.x ROMs that is making it work vs the non-Sense variants.

I've actually gotten rather used to the speed of the AOSP based ROMs, it'd be nice if it was possible to get MMS working on that. I might try shifting files around between the versions but my guess is that I'll just end up breaking things.

Edited by stevenz

Guest stevenz

The APN list in the Desire ROM actually has entries for TelecomNZ (my telco) in it whereas none of the others do. It also looks like any AOSP-based ROM (Cyanogen, Enomther's, MCR etc) fails when I try to download MMS messages, whereas Desire ports work fine. What have HTC changed in the background? It's not the kernel as I'm running the same kernel & wifi radio as I was on the AOSP ROMs that don't work, so it's something with the MMS framework with the Desire (and the Legend I guess as VillainROM works with the Hero whereas MCR & any AOSP ROMs don't).

Mystery.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest teknologist

It's no mystery,

Problem occurs everywhere and for everyone a soon as the mms size is > 10Kb which is the case for 90% of MMS since they have images/Sound:

here is the reason:

E/RetrieveTransaction( 980): java.lang.NullPointerException

E/RetrieveTransaction( 980): at java.io.ByteArrayInputStream.<init>(ByteArrayInputStream.java:62)

E/RetrieveTransaction( 980): at com.google.android.mms.pdu.PduParser.<init>(PduParser.java:95)

The PDUParser in the Android source code is broken for packets > 10Kb (at least seems to according to what I have been reading on the web, haven't had any time to see what happens at lin 95 of PDUParser.java) and it's a shame it is still the case in Froyo !! :-(

We'll have to wait for the Froyo source to be released and some nice soul to patch it and recompile it... :-)

Pretty sure cyanogen is going to fix it in his next CM6...Froyo based...

HTC, targeting mass retail has fixed it in their ROMs. I don't even remember having this issue in my old HTC Hero with Sense UI...;-)

Edited by teknologist

Guest stevenz
It's no mystery,

Problem occurs everywhere and for everyone a soon as the mms size is > 10Kb which is the case for 90% of MMS since they have images/Sound:

HTC, targeting mass retail has fixed it in their ROMs. I don't even remember having this issue in my old HTC Hero with Sense UI...;-)

My Hero had the issue with every ROM I threw at it except for those based on the Eris leaks. I don't recall seeing that error in logcats, but if it's a known error with some providers then I look forward to a hopeful fix :(

Presumably some providers send smaller packets then, which may explain why it works fine with the other 2 local providers?

Guest stevenz
Glad I'm not the only N1 user in NZ with this issue. Looking forward to the fix, hope it hits Froyo.

Cyanogen v6 that Teknologist mentioned is/will be FroYo. Who knows when Google is going to get around to releasing it though...