N1 owner using Desire (on vod UK) briefly - observations

Guest theloginwithnoname

Guest theloginwithnoname

originally from http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...&p=1265784:

Remaining off-topic for a smidgen longer (then I'll find a more-appropriate place on the forum!)... there's actually quite a bit different between the Desire and the N1 - such as it has FM Radio enabled and available from the apps drawer, and the wireless connection has been working all day (on the same router that my N1 uses, and which gave up within 20 mins of connecting). Thought: could the wifi issue(s) be fixed in the new radio?

I will try and grapple the Desire off it's new owner and do a side-by-side comparison (somewhere else on the forum) if anyone is interested?

any takers or links where this has already been posted (tried searching, didn't have much in way of sensible results)?

(Comparing with my N1 running CM 5.0.6 and apart from FM Radio and WiFi connection mentioned above), overall the Desire is a nice piece of kit. Hardware-wise, as we know it is very similar to the N1, but I'm finding the physical buttons (that I thought I would prefer), and to a lesser extent the optical trackball, both cumbersome - they require a firmer grip on the phone, especially when pressing the Home button (which is where the N1's Back is); a couple of times the phone has slipped out of my grip and latterly I've found myself pressing the power button on the top to hold it firmer - prefer the N1's offerings. Oh, and the charger's lead is very *very* short.

Software is a bit hit and miss. Friendstream is very nice, the HTC default theme is dim and grey. The browser is much more responsive (refreshing, pinch-zooming). Do not like the home screens design but, when dragging icons around, it's nice how it dims where you can't put the icon. It is also nice how it shows Awake time alongside Uptime, and compared to stock/CM's battery usage (and which I think CM's is wrong, and I'll raise elsewhere with him), it shows a more comprehensive and likely accurate breakdown of usage.

Shout if you want a side-by-side...

Guest thelucster

I was using r19 on N1 since it came out. I was quite reluctant to upgrade any further due to the stability issues in some of the prior builds. I still had a few glitches but it did the trick. Over the weekend I flashed on CM 5.0.6 and OMG it is soooo much faster. I do miss a few things such as the pinch-zoom in the browser (although there is a hacked browser for that about somewhere), the HTC clock/weather app and lock screen music controls, but other than that there isn't really much between them for me. I'm also using the intersectR kernel which provides a lot better battery life! Over the weekend (after charging it fully Friday night) I only had it plugged into USB while transferring some files for 45 minutes and the battery is at 45%!