Flashing ROMs too often bad for the phone?

Guest ksc6000

Guest ksc6000

I often go between the r21 desire port and cyanogen mod on my nexus one. I do this when i know I'm going to be driving somewhere and i need thr gps to work flawlessly, so I wipe and do a android restore to temporarily put on the cyanogen ROM and once I'm done I wipe and restore the Modaco desire port. Is this bad for my phone? I end up having to do this maybe once or twice a week. Thanks

Guest jango76
I often go between the r21 desire port and cyanogen mod on my nexus one. I do this when i know I'm going to be driving somewhere and i need thr gps to work flawlessly, so I wipe and do a android restore to temporarily put on the cyanogen ROM and once I'm done I wipe and restore the Modaco desire port. Is this bad for my phone? I end up having to do this maybe once or twice a week. Thanks

I hope not, I do the same thing... :P

Guest Diddlydoodily

I do this very often myself. Sometimes more than once a day. Both ROMs are so good that it's hard for me to decide which one I should stick with. I've been using the CyanogenMod 5.0.6 for the past two days, and it feels like a long time.

I think, theoretically it's bad for the Nexus One's memory, being that it is flash-based and as we're told by technological journals, Flash memory can only be written to so many times before it "Stops sticking". Of course, randomization of save blocks helps make this less and less of an issue in flash, but it's still technically a very present issue with solid-state storage.

So, yes, in theory flashing ROMs often is bad for your phone's storage, but along those same lines, saving any kind of data to your phone is bad for its storage. Maybe someone can pop in and clear up exactly how much longevity randomizing save blocks offers.

Guest squirreleater

I doubt it does any harm, I'd of thought the rom cookers would have hit problems by now, they flash the phones all the time while cooking roms.

I used to flash roms every other day on my WinMo Touch HD, it's still going strong today ( with a friend now...)

We know that, after a long usage time, a flash drive will lose its efficiency to write new data..

the more you Overwrite data, the more it will be losing clusters to write new data (I think it does that by reducing drive capacity, however no data will be lost)...

When you flash a new Rom, you overwrite All Data!

We're talking about many years of usage... not a big deal, but I think the answer will be Yes.. not that it's bad for your phone, but it is not Good in long term..

You will probably get a new phone long before you notice a difference..

Still, The biggest problem with electronics is Heat... The cooler it is, the longer it will last!

Hope that can help you :)

Guest Batkoto

For the life of your device, you can switch between different ROM's nTIMES a day and still will be OK.

Different point is if you kill it :)

Guest ksc6000
For the life of your device, you can switch between different ROM's nTIMES a day and still will be OK.

Different point is if you kill it :)

Thanks for all the replies.