Poor signal making me want to do the unthinkable...

Guest Jompet

Guest Jompet

Hello,

I've been a Nexus One owner for about 3 months now and there are many things about both the N1 and Android I love. I love the fact I can tether my phone and run amazing apps like Locale. I love the fact I can easily theme my phone. I love widgets. I love the fact that Android is much more open than those Apple sods! :P I love(d) the HTC Sense UI from the Desire ROM but I have a problem...

My signal. :P

I rooted my phone around the time that Paul released the Alpha of the Modaco Custom Desire because if I'm honest that was part of the reason I bought the phone (I wanted something current spec wise but the Desire wasn't available at that time), when I installed the Desire ROM at first it was pretty sweet, I don't use Bluetooth and I loved all of the HTC Sense integration but I noticed that it got worse over time. The Friendstream app stopped working, I'd get literally dozens of force closes a day but worst of all my signal was really bad.

Like really really bad. :D

I used to get a 2 bar signal on iPhone in my house but with N1 I get no signal unless I reboot the phone. Even if I walk outside where I would definately get a signal with any phone I don't get a signal on my N1 and that's with the N1 stock ROM/CM ROM or MCR Custom ROM so I'm getting desperate now. I need a phone that actually works. A few days ago I noticed a forum post about bad signal on the N! and that if you downgraded the Radio you get a better signal but alas, no luck I have exactly the same problem.

So I'm thinking of switching back to the iPhone whilst I can still get a good price for my N1. :P

Unless.....

You kind folk can help me out?

Anybody have any ideas on how to remedy this problem?

Edited by Jompet

Guest pbabyjoker
Hello,

I've been a Nexus One owner for about 3 months now and there are many things about both the N1 and Android I love. I love the fact I can tether my phone and run amazing apps like Locale. I love the fact I can easily theme my phone. I love widgets. I love the fact that Android is much more open than those Apple sods! :P I love(d) the HTC Sense UI from the Desire ROM but I have a problem...

I rooted my phone around the time that Paul released the Alpha of the Modaco Custom Desire because if I'm honest that was part of the reason I bought the phone (I wanted something current spec wise but the Desire wasn't available at that time), when I installed the Desire ROM at first it was pretty sweet, I don't use Bluetooth and I loved all of the HTC Sense integration but I noticed that it got worse over time. The Friendstream app stopped working, I'd get literally dozens of force closes a day but worst of all my signal was really bad.

I used to get a 2 bar signal on iPhone in my house but with N1 I get no signal unless I reboot the phone. Even if I walk outside where I would definately get a signal with any phone I don't get a signal on my N1 and that's with the N1 stock ROM/CM ROM or MCR Custom ROM so I'm getting desperate now. I need a phone that actually works. A few days ago I noticed a forum post about bad signal on the N! and that if you downgraded the Radio you get a better signal but alas, no luck I have exactly the same problem.

So I'm thinking of switching back to the iPhone whilst I can still get a good price for my N1. :P

Unless.....

Are you in a edge or 3g area?

Guest Jompet
Are you in a edge or 3g area?

Edge but I wouldn't get a data connection usually and if I did it would drop (I live in the countryside) I'm not bothered about data just being able to receive calls and texts.

Guest larry996
Edge but I wouldn't get a data connection usually and if I did it would drop (I live in the countryside) I'm not bothered about data just being able to receive calls and texts.

Have you tried a different radio update?

Guest Jompet
Have you tried a different radio update?

Yes. As I wrote in my original post I have tried downgrading the radio but it has had no effect.

Guest todbld

i think the problem is at&t not the phone i have very poor reception here and im in a great coverage area :P however in other areas it works flawlessly always 5 bars if your going to make the switch because your phone doesn't work, witch i understand i say leave at&t and let them know why

Guest Jompet
i think the problem is at&t not the phone i have very poor reception here and im in a great coverage area :P however in other areas it works flawlessly always 5 bars if your going to make the switch because your phone doesn't work, witch i understand i say leave at&t and let them know why

I'm not with AT&T. I'm English and I'm with 3. I was with o2, this is a new sim card to check and see if it was the network and not the phone.

Today I tried bot my old o2 sim and my 3 sim in a BB 9000 and I had signal no problem.

Guest todbld
I'm not with AT&T. I'm English and I'm with 3. I was with o2, this is a new sim card to check and see if it was the network and not the phone.

Today I tried bot my old o2 sim and my 3 sim in a BB 9000 and I had signal no problem.

well i can tell you that i called htc today after new leaked radio for liquid fixed its signal here that i called and they are shipping me a new phone so you might wanna try that for an option as they believe it must be hardware :-)

Guest Jompet
well i can tell you that i called htc today after new leaked radio for liquid fixed its signal here that i called and they are shipping me a new phone so you might wanna try that for an option as they believe it must be hardware :-)

Since I bought the phone 2nd hand I don't have the warranty :P I get great signal in any town or city just not at my house where I used to have it.

Guest Chris Jenx
Since I bought the phone 2nd hand I don't have the warranty :P I get great signal in any town or city just not at my house where I used to have it.

Any trees between you and the direction of the towers which would of "sprouted" in the last 3 months?

But yes can be hardware if its just degraded... I'm sure it should be covered under warranty for a year even if it is second hand. Just say you lost the receipt. they know its going to be 5 months old as the phone has only been out that long...

Guest Jompet
Any trees between you and the direction of the towers which would of "sprouted" in the last 3 months?

Nope nothing has really changed.

But yes can be hardware if its just degraded... I'm sure it should be covered under warranty for a year even if it is second hand. Just say you lost the receipt. they know its going to be 5 months old as the phone has only been out that long...

I'll try that.

Guest charronegro1971
Hello,

Unless.....

Try this:

On your dialer, enter *#*#4636#*#*

This will take you to the Testing screen. From there, press Phone Information and scroll down to where it says Set preferred network type and select WCDMA only(if it isn't already selected). If you set it to GSM only, you'll only get the EGDE network. Ever since I switched my setting to WCDMA only, I've gotten either 3G or H. I don't get EDGE or G unless I'm in some rural area. Hopefully this'll work for you.

Edited by charronegro1971

Guest Jompet
Try this:

This will take you to the Testing screen. From there, press Phone Information and scroll down to where it says Set preferred network type and select WCDMA only(if it isn't already selected). If you set it to GSM only, you'll only get the EGDE network. Ever since I switched my setting to WCDMA only, I've gotten either 3G or H. I don't get EDGE or G unless I'm in some rural area. Hopefully this'll work for you.

Thanks I'm trying that today!

I've tried reverting back to the MCR Desire ROM as the problem doesn't seem to be with the ROM I'm using but rather with the radio.

I've also completed a system wide reset and this seems to have helped a little.

I'm concluding that it might just be the fact that this device has a poor radio when compared to most other phones.

You can also follow this issue over at: http://tiny.cc/na3g6

Guest theloginwithnoname
Try this:

Jompet, I have similar issues in certain areas - previously on O2 and now on Vodafone. It could be a) poor hardware, b] hardware issue, c) radio software issues*, d) low coverage area, e) triangulation of several mast signals, or f) other. I can have between 5% and 25% of the time without signal (!). And with home wireless disconnecting/not reconnecting, it's fairly frustrating sometimes!

charronegro1971 is in the right area with his post above. If you just want voice/text and basic internet, use the GSM only option. If you would like to have fast internet if available, you may wish to read the following thread on xda:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=670999

Usual disclaimers (not recommending anything for your set up, just telling you what I have done), however I use the GSM auto PRL option now and get HSxPA at least as often as when on WCDMA preferred, and my battery seems to last longer. "PRL" (it's in wikipedia IIRC) means a file on your phone with a list of networks that it is "allowed" to use (only). I think this limits the number of networks it searches for, thus saving radio and therefore battery.

Ideally, that file would just have one network - yours. It may well have, but I don't know what the file is called (nothing useful found from a search in Astro for *PRL* or *GSM*), and I haven't done any more digging since setting it as I've been doing kernel and other battery opts!

HTH.

* I am interested in trying the new Vodafone-shipping radio EPF21B but cannot find just the radio image at present...

Guest Jompet
Jompet, I have similar issues in certain areas - previously on O2 and now on Vodafone. It could be a) poor hardware, b] hardware issue, c) radio software issues*, d) low coverage area, e) triangulation of several mast signals, or f) other. I can have between 5% and 25% of the time without signal (!). And with home wireless disconnecting/not reconnecting, it's fairly frustrating sometimes!

charronegro1971 is in the right area with his post above. If you just want voice/text and basic internet, use the GSM only option. If you would like to have fast internet if available, you may wish to read the following thread on xda:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=670999

Usual disclaimers (not recommending anything for your set up, just telling you what I have done), however I use the GSM auto PRL option now and get HSxPA at least as often as when on WCDMA preferred, and my battery seems to last longer. "PRL" (it's in wikipedia IIRC) means a file on your phone with a list of networks that it is "allowed" to use (only). I think this limits the number of networks it searches for, thus saving radio and therefore battery.

Ideally, that file would just have one network - yours. It may well have, but I don't know what the file is called (nothing useful found from a search in Astro for *PRL* or *GSM*), and I haven't done any more digging since setting it as I've been doing kernel and other battery opts!

HTH.

* I am interested in trying the new Vodafone-shipping radio EPF21B but cannot find just the radio image at present...

Extremely interesting stuff I'm trying this right away. I guess the GSM option might be best for me and may save my pitiful battery life too!

THANK YOU ALL.

Guest todbld
Extremely interesting stuff I'm trying this right away. I guess the GSM option might be best for me and may save my pitiful battery life too!

THANK YOU ALL.

I have done it all including yesterday i received a brand new N1 from HTC "AT&T band" NO CHANGE... fact is be it the radio software or hardware it self is sub par and HTC needs to know, I love the nexus one but i feel i have no choice but to return it and stick with acer liquid till EVO june 4th anyone that is in same boat as me and would like to contact google or htc on these issues here are there numbers

google nexus one support : 888-216-4736

Htc: 888-231-4736

Guest todbld
Hmmm....

If I send my N1 back and I've unlocked the Bootloader doesn't that void my warranty?

they didnt say a word to me and i was clear about what i did... if they question you, you unlocked it to try and flash new radios to make it work didnt you :)