Droid Eris 2.1 Update rolling out.

Guest crashinginyourcranium

Guest Dan Mullen
Relevant? Why post here?

Because the Droid Eris is basically a Hero - any 2.1 update could be used as a stable base for MCR4.0.

Guest kendon

isn't the droid a cdma phone?

edit: does the kernel work on hero or not, that is the main thing that counts...

Edited by kendon

Guest Dan Mullen
isn't the droid a cdma phone?

edit: does the kernel work on hero or not, that is the main thing that counts...

Yes, it's CDMA. However, the best 2.1 ROMs out there are based on the Eris. I'd be surprised if the latest official Eris ROM can't be used as a base for a Hero ROM, (fingers crossed!)

Guest Dan Mullen
the main remaining problem is the kernel, and the cdma kernel doesn't work on the gsm hero, does it?

I don't know kendon, to be honest you probably know more than me about it. But the 2.1 ROMs I've previously tried based on the Eris are very good, almost bug-free.

Guest DarthOps

What I can't understand is why rom creators haven't used the Legend kernel, which is available, to try and get some of those builds working on the hero. I seem to recall trying at least one legend-based rom and it would have been nice to get that one flying :)

Guest Dr. dre
the main remaining problem is the kernel, and the cdma kernel doesn't work on the gsm hero, does it?

I think the CDMA kernal can be ported to the GSM Hero, I'm not sure about that but someone would be definitely be able to do the porting stuff.

Guest Carl_Brummy
I think the CDMA kernal can be ported to the GSM Hero, I'm not sure about that but someone would be definitely be able to do the porting stuff.

From what I know, the CDMA roms have some annoying issues with SIM contacts, as they don't actually have sim cards in them, so there are a few little issues...but nothing is a show stopper, in fact VillainRom 5x is based on a CDMA sprint port is it not? And to be fair, I have had no real issues with using that but I must admit I have gone back to MCR 3.2 until a completely functioning and stable rom is available....

<stage right>MCR 4.0 :)

Carl.

Guest pulser
From what I know, the CDMA roms have some annoying issues with SIM contacts, as they don't actually have sim cards in them, so there are a few little issues...but nothing is a show stopper, in fact VillainRom 5x is based on a CDMA sprint port is it not? And to be fair, I have had no real issues with using that but I must admit I have gone back to MCR 3.2 until a completely functioning and stable rom is available....

<stage right>MCR 4.0 :)

Carl.

I can fix the SIM contacts issue, It's actually pretty easy once someone shows you how. There's a post on xda from zygame (I think that's the name) telling you how to do it. Basically, get classes.dex from com.htc.framework.jar and use baksmali to get out the smali code. And edit an 'IsCDMA' entry I think. Instructions on xda though, or I can find them if needed.

Guest FunkTrooper

Previous 2.1 ROMs have been based on the Eris 2.1 leaks, but they were only leaks; they didn't have the source code.

Since this is an official release, the kernel must, due to the GPL license, be released with accompanying source code.

Armed with source code, it shouldn't take long for a competent dev to make a complete, fully functional, stable, non-battery-draining 2.1 rom that'll work on GSM Heros.