Install Nesux One Rom on HTC Desire

Guest Alex Buga

Guest Alex Buga

Hi there. I just got an HTC Desire. I love it, but the HTC Sense is really bugging me. It seems like a total waste of screen real estate in some areas and there are some inconsistencies.

After watching Youtube videos with the Nexus one, I really like the simplicity and consistency of Google's interface.

So .. is it possible to install the Nexus One Rom on the Desire, and in the meantime to update it when Google will release OTA updates ?

Thanks guys, and I really appreciate your answers.

Guest h00pyfr00d
Hi there. I just got an HTC Desire. I love it, but the HTC Sense is really bugging me. It seems like a total waste of screen real estate in some areas and there are some inconsistencies.

After watching Youtube videos with the Nexus one, I really like the simplicity and consistency of Google's interface.

So .. is it possible to install the Nexus One Rom on the Desire, and in the meantime to update it when Google will release OTA updates ?

Thanks guys, and I really appreciate your answers.

At the moment there's a couple of options for you. Both are based on the Cyanogen 5.0.6 ROM but there are a good few bugs. Bluetooth doesn't work and the camera doesn't perform very well. If you can live with that, go for it. You need to root first though obviously.

Paul has done an R1 release of this and if you go on XDA you'll find NexDesire ROM too. eViL's non-Sense (nonsense? haha) ROM is also very good.

Best of luck with your search.

Guest Alex Buga
At the moment there's a couple of options for you. Both are based on the Cyanogen 5.0.6 ROM but there are a good few bugs. Bluetooth doesn't work and the camera doesn't perform very well. If you can live with that, go for it. You need to root first though obviously.

Paul has done an R1 release of this and if you go on XDA you'll find NexDesire ROM too. eViL's non-Sense (nonsense? haha) ROM is also very good.

Best of luck with your search.

I was thinking at returning the Desire and pay a little extra difference and buy the Nexus one.

I keep reading about hero users still waiting for Android 2.1 ... And I think the Desire will have the same fate with Froyo.

I'm guessing Google will push 2.2 on the Nexus immediately.

Any advices ?

Guest zaphod0

I think you can definitely count on HTC to be slow to release 2.2. As for removing sense, I believe MCR for desire has an option to bake without Sense which "When removed, it is replaced by the standard Launcher." Haven't tried it but I don't think it will be vanilla Android, but at least a little closer.

I'm hoping for a stable nexus one ROM port to Desire. Tried Cyanogen 5.0.6, but its was just a little too buggy. If there is ever a more stable version available, I'll be moving. (With HTC's firmware update frequency, ill probably be force to move!)

Guest helikopter
I was thinking at returning the Desire and pay a little extra difference and buy the Nexus one.

I keep reading about hero users still waiting for Android 2.1 ... And I think the Desire will have the same fate with Froyo.

Any advices ?

as it seems to be possible to port nexus1 roms to the desire i don't think it's a good idea. i'm sure the devs here on modaco or at xda will find a way to port 2.2 to our devices in a very short time.

Guest Alex Buga

The launcher is not my problem, as I already installed it as an APK from XDA I believe...

I want the vanilla theme which is more consistent and minimalistic.

Guest squirreleater

Any advices ?

That is the main reason most of us opted for the Nexus, I actually like the Desire over the Nexus but don't trust HTC for updates. I sold my Hero as I gave up waiting for 2.1-back in Jan!

Guest Alex Buga

Yup, that's the reason I've sold my Hero too and got back to the iPhone.

I'm still in the 30 days money back period. Think I'm going to return the desire and pay the diff and get the Nexus.

Guest andrewpmoore

I went through the process of getting a desire, also not liking the inconsistencies, so ended up selling my desire for £320 and got a 2nd hand nexus one for £330. Must say I'm much happier with the nexus (apart from the soft-keys). I also picked up an original desktop dock for £25 and have the car dock on it's way - which the desire doesn't have anything silimar.

Guest nekromantik

I dont get why people done like Sense, if you dont like Sense dont buy HTC Android devices.

Just get a Nexus One. As for slow updates, well thats just a common problem as Sony Ericsson were very slow for updates and then stopped supporting the phone few months later. Now we have the Desire kernal, the 2.2 N1 ROM when released should be ported over pretty quick so thats what Im waiting for but I do like Sense.

Guest h00pyfr00d
I dont get why people done like Sense, if you dont like Sense dont buy HTC Android devices.

Just get a Nexus One. As for slow updates, well thats just a common problem as Sony Ericsson were very slow for updates and then stopped supporting the phone few months later. Now we have the Desire kernal, the 2.2 N1 ROM when released should be ported over pretty quick so thats what Im waiting for but I do like Sense.

In the UK Nexus One's are hard to come by, plus you can't get them discounted on a contract (actually, I think they're soon out on Vodafone). Either way it's a more expensive option for us.

Edited by h00pyfr00d