RaduG's Vanilla Eclair on the Hero is awesome!

Guest prupert

Guest prupert

After getting bored waiting for the official 2.1 update and because I don't like Sense anyway, I finally bit the bullet and decided to put a Custom 2.1 ROM on my Hero over MCR 3.2.

The ROM I chose was RaduG's [ROM][09/05/2010][AOSP Vanilla 2.1][Multi-flavor] VanillaEclair 2.0.1 available from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=662476

All I can say is it is blinding. It seems just as fast, if not faster than MCR 3.2 and I have had no issues other than those that are known (some audio over bluetooth issues and problems with facebook sync). Everything else works, the camera, the market, CoPilot Live, Google Goggles, Maps with Navigation. Plus, it only took about 4 minutes to Flash and it was so simple (just boot into Recovery, wipe and then flash the update, simple).

It is a truly awesome ROM (although, to be honest, it is my first experience with a 2.1 ROM). I never really liked Sense other than the Facebook integration (which you can get with the official app or via Bloo) and I used the stock Home all the time anyway. I can imagine that one of the reasons for all the delay to 2.1 on Hero is trying to minimise the memory use of Sense - which always use to bug me. The only thing I miss from MCR is the built-in WaveSecure, but oh well, I better not loose my phone :)

So, to all of you that don't' really care about Sense, go for this ROM, it is truly awesome.

Guest DarthOps
After getting bored waiting for the official 2.1 update and because I don't like Sense anyway, I finally bit the bullet and decided to put a Custom 2.1 ROM on my Hero over MCR 3.2.

The ROM I chose was RaduG's [ROM][09/05/2010][AOSP Vanilla 2.1][Multi-flavor] VanillaEclair 2.0.1 available from here:

All I can say is it is blinding. It seems just as fast, if not faster than MCR 3.2 and I have had no issues other than those that are known (some audio over bluetooth issues and problems with facebook sync). Everything else works, the camera, the market, CoPilot Live, Google Goggles, Maps with Navigation. Plus, it only took about 4 minutes to Flash and it was so simple (just boot into Recovery, wipe and then flash the update, simple).

It is a truly awesome ROM (although, to be honest, it is my first experience with a 2.1 ROM). I never really liked Sense other than the Facebook integration (which you can get with the official app or via Bloo) and I used the stock Home all the time anyway. I can imagine that one of the reasons for all the delay to 2.1 on Hero is trying to minimise the memory use of Sense - which always use to bug me. The only thing I miss from MCR is the built-in WaveSecure, but oh well, I better not loose my phone ;)

So, to all of you that don't' really care about Sense, go for this ROM, it is truly awesome.

I'm using this rom at the moment and for me (apart from not getting a headphone notification icon - which is on the fix list) it is absolutely excellent. Its fast and it obviously uses way less memory than the senseUI. The fact that it has an addon performance pack which enables JIT is just fantastic, makes the phone fly!

btw prupert you can still get wavesecure from here: http://www.wavesecure.com/installations/update.zip so no need to worry about losing your phone :)

Guest prupert
I'm using this rom at the moment and for me (apart from not getting a headphone notification icon - which is on the fix list) it is absolutely excellent. Its fast and it obviously uses way less memory than the senseUI. The fact that it has an addon performance pack which enables JIT is just fantastic, makes the phone fly!

btw prupert you can still get wavesecure from here: http://www.wavesecure.com/installations/update.zip so no need to worry about losing your phone :)

Ahh, was unaware of the update.zip for wavesecure, cool, I shall be adding that in a bit. Nice one.

I didn't notice the addon JIT pack, I thought you had to choose between NAS, AS and PE (which has JIT) and that PE /JIT was a little buggy, or is that no longer the case?

Guest Lordsmiff

I was just telling someone the exact same thing yesterday :)

I've been using RaduG's ROM for about a week and I think it's fab - I've had no FC's and no issues with it at all (though I've not tried my A2DP headset yet, admittedly).

The market works fine with none of the slowness experienced on other ROMs, Maps with Nav works OK. I've even put the ADW launcher on it and in all, it's superb - couldn't be happier...OK, could be slightly happier - the battery life is not as good as it could be but I have a charger in my car and I'm never far away from a computer to charge it from so it's a minor inconvenience until the proper 2. comes out and it can be updated with the proper kernel etc.

Top job RaduG ;)

BTW, it's so good, I've even put it on my wife's hero :D

Smiffy.

Guest DarthOps
I didn't notice the addon JIT pack, I thought you had to choose between NAS, AS and PE (which has JIT) and that PE /JIT was a little buggy, or is that no longer the case?

I've been using the PE (JIT) for a few days now and it seems fine to me! I've heard that RaduG is working on an update that should be out pretty soon, it'll be interesting to see what has changed.

I'm also using the ADW launcher but I'm steering clear of the live wallpapers, I still don't believe that the Hero really has the power to run these properly.

On a separate issue, every single 2.1 sense rom that I have tried has murdered spotify playback (stuttering, stopping etc). I've come to the conclusion that it is something to do with the extra memory/cpu usage that sense requires because on this rom I hardly ever get stuttering playback.

I can't wait for the 2.1 hero kernel to be released because then it's likely we will see the ability to overclock the cpu and on this rom (or MCR 4.0) you know it's going to be really really fast! :)

Edited by DarthOps

Guest prupert
I bet you anything that Bluetooth audio doesn't work for phone calls.

True, it does not, but that is a known issue and anyway, I feel like a total ahole wearing a handsfree, so it doesn't bother me. I'll just have to pull over if I need to call anyone when driving :)

Guest Lordsmiff

It's true - bluetooth doesn't work for phone or music and in the past, with the other things that have been wrong with a ROM, it's made me go back to MCR 3.2 but as i can find nothing else wrong with it, I've decided that I'm not worried about the bluetooth audio (it helps that I now have a working CD player in my car :) and that if anyone actually does phone me (since when do any of us actually use them for calls though!! ;) ) it's usually someone I don't want to speak to :D

Nice to have the option though so look forward to it being sorted when the new official one comes out and enables everyone to do their magic :(

Smiffy.

Guest Dan Mullen
It's true - bluetooth doesn't work for phone or music and in the past, with the other things that have been wrong with a ROM, it's made me go back to MCR 3.2 but as i can find nothing else wrong with it, I've decided that I'm not worried about the bluetooth audio (it helps that I now have a working CD player in my car :) and that if anyone actually does phone me (since when do any of us actually use them for calls though!! ;) ) it's usually someone I don't want to speak to :D

Nice to have the option though so look forward to it being sorted when the new official one comes out and enables everyone to do their magic :(

Smiffy.

I also ditched the 2.1 ROMs I'd tried because of the Bluetooth audio issue. I have my phone connected to my car and it was a real problem not being able to use that feature.

Guest davey4444

I've been using this rom for the last couple of weeks and really like it. I haven't missed many of the sense features and those which I did (eg the dialler) can be covered by a couple of other apps. The next update promises to fix the facebook sync issue which will be great.

I have a question though - in theory if this rom and modaco (without rosie) were based on the 2.1 kernel how would they compare? Or is the "thing" about the mcr being that it is an optimised version of the kernel and sense together?

Guest DarthOps
I have a question though - in theory if this rom and modaco (without rosie) were based on the 2.1 kernel how would they compare? Or is the "thing" about the mcr being that it is an optimised version of the kernel and sense together?

There's only one way to find out ... FIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTT :)

ahem..

Guest crashd
I've been using this rom for the last couple of weeks and really like it. I haven't missed many of the sense features and those which I did (eg the dialler) can be covered by a couple of other apps.

Quick 'Off Topic', which other decent diallers are available?

Guest davey4444
Quick 'Off Topic', which other decent diallers are available?

Check out Dialler One in the market, it has similar functionality to the sense one.

Guest goatee

I miss Sense to an extent - I miss being able to sync my calendar easily with Exchange.

I've had one issue where I unplugged my phone and it thought it was still charging, but other than that, it's great!

Guest Dr. dre
I miss Sense to an extent - I miss being able to sync my calendar easily with Exchange.

I've had one issue where I unplugged my phone and it thought it was still charging, but other than that, it's great!

Same here, But I miss the Sense widget a lot :)

Guest pillock
It's true - bluetooth doesn't work for phone or music

BT doesn't work for phonecall audio (HSF profile?) but does work for streaming audio (AVRCP profile) - I can stream music from Spotify to my car headunit over bluetooth, and skip tracks with the controls on the headunit. I believe this is common to all Eclair builds, nobody has got it working yet.

But I tend to pair up my work phone for voice calls, and my Hero for media, so for my setup it's not a problem.

Guest lundefugl

I used to miss that too, until I installed Google Calendar Sync.

With that running on my workstation at my job, my Outlook/Exchange syncs periodically/automatically with my Google Calendar (two way sync)

- and as we all know, the Google Calendar syncs very well with Android, no matter what version. Now I use this method for syncing even when

running Sense Rom's...

Guest mobydeek

From what ive seen, no AOSP builds include the 2.1 Launcher? (so im assuming its a Nexus thing?)

Does that mean that future Vanilla 2.2 ROMs based on the AOSP wont have the new 2.2 Launcher? (with the Phone, App Tray and Browser icons)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tomito76

It is a truly awesome ROM (although, to be honest, it is my first experience with a 2.1 ROM). I never really liked Sense other than the Facebook integration (which you can get with the official app or via Bloo) and I used the stock Home all the time anyway. I can imagine that one of the reasons for all the delay to 2.1 on Hero is trying to minimise the memory use of Sense - which always use to bug me. The only thing I miss from MCR is the built-in WaveSecure, but oh well, I better not loose my phone :(

Please Help what do you mean by wipe? is it wipe data/manufacture data ??

thanks