How to: Root phone and install Android v.2.1

Guest eckengucker1

Guest eckengucker1

As many people were asking how to root the Pulse/8220 I'm going to explain that in this tutorial.

First of all please excuse that this tutorial may include some linguistic imperfections but english isn't my native language :)

Anyway let's start.

What you need:

Hardware:

• T-Mobile Pulse or Huawei 8220 phone
  • USB-cable
  • PC (Unix/Windows)

If you're using a stock phone you'll need also:
    • December Update by T-Mobile: http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download/p...vn4zgygjz4aaywy

• Unzip the downloaded file to a location of your choice on your computer
      • Copy the “dload” folder and all its contents to the root directory of your microSD card
      • Insert the microSD card back into your device
      • On your device select Settings -> SD card -> Phone Storage -> Upgrade
      • The upgrade process will give you several warnings which you need to confirm to continue - then press the Upgrade option to begin the update
      • As the update progresses you will see several screens along with a progress bar
      • Once complete you will see a confirmation screen, and your Pulse will automatically restart
      • Continue with next step "If you have already/successfully installed the December Update:"

If you have already/successfully installed the December Update:

[*]Super-boot: http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...mb0k87f9c51eqg9

[*]Recovery-mode-zip: http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...gl5iiciea41vu4t

[*]Lastes BoBo Android 2.1 http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1270312

[*]If you're using Windows Vista or lower: Install your Pulse-CD

[*]If you're using Windows 7: Install driver http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1270466

Step 1: getting root rights

- unpack your downloaded files

- power Pulse off

- boot Pulse into bootloader-mode by pressing "volume-down"+"red-key(hang up call)"+"power on" together

- plug Pulse in using your USB-cable

- open "install-superboot-windows.bat"/"install-recovery-mac.sh"/"install-recovery-linux.sh"(open in terminal) from downloaded 1.5-pulse-superboot.zip on your PC (choose matching version)

- „Writing Superboot (xyz Bytes) - ok“ should appear on your Pulse screen

- you got root rights

Step 2: flashing recovery sector

- open "install-recovery-windows.bat"/"install-recovery-osx.sh"/"install-recovery-linux.sh"(open in terminal) from downloaded 1.5.2-pulse-amonrarecovery.zip (choose matching version)

- „Writing Superboot (xyz Bytes) - ok“ appears again

- You've successfully installed the recovery-mode

- now remove your battery to reboot your phone

Step 3: making a Nand Backup IMPORTANT

- insert your battery

- power Pulse on by pressing "red-key"+"menu"+"power on" together

- RA-pulse-v1.5.2.png

(If this don't appear go back to step 1)

- go to "Backup/Restore" (using joystick)

IF YOU ARE USING THE APP2SD+ Version (rX-2.1-a2SD+-signed.zip)

- open "Nand + ext backup"

IF YOU ARE UNSING THE VERSION WITHOUT APP2SD (rX-2.1-signed.zip)

- open "Nand backup"

- confirm with green-key

- after it's complete go back to previous menu (press home key)

- open "Toggle USB MS"

- open SD-card on your PC

- copy "nandroid" folder to somewhere on your PC

- press green-key again and disable USB

Step 4: formate SD BACKUP DATA FIRST (This is optional and will delete all data stored on SD-card! I recommend it for a proper setup.)

- go to "Partition sdcard"=>"Partition SD"

- set "Swap size" to "0" (press volume-down)

- set ext2 size to 512 mb (depends on how lage you like it. It's the memory you'll install your apps on. Press volume-up/down)

- !!!YOU'LL LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA ON YOUR CARD - MAKE A BACKUP!!! confirm with green-key (

- now your SD is formated

Step 5: wipe data

- go to "Wipe"

- open "Wipe data/factory reset"

- confirm with green

- open "Wipe Darvik Cache"

- confirm with green

- You've wiped everything (nearly ^^) on your phone

Step 6: Flash 2.1 ROM

- toggle USB again

- copy "r4-2.1-pulse-signed.zip" ROM to your SD-card using your PC

- press green-key and hang out your Pulse

- go to "Flash zip from sdcard"

- choose "r4-2.1-pulse-signed.zip"

- press green-key to confirm

- wait till Pulse has successfully installed Android 2.1

- open "Reboot system now"

- Android should welcome you - YOU DID IT

Step 7: Reboot

- your Pulse is now rebooting

- it should show a "T-Mobile" character with a rotating circle

- installation takes round a round 3-5 minutes

IF NOT:

- power Pulse of (remove battery) and power it on with removed SD-card

- start again form step 4

IF IT DOES NOT WORK:

- start Pulse into recovery-mode with "red-key"+"menu"+"power on"

- press "Toggle USB MS"

- copy your Pulse-backup ("nandroid"-folder) to your SD-card

- go to "Backup/Restore"=>"Nand restore"=>"mem=128M""BCDEMRS-2010xxxx-xxxx"

- confirm with green-key

- reboot your phone

- you are back on your previous configuration (Android 1.5)

- search MoDaCo-forum for help

Noted problems:

1) Lots of android.acore force close notices. This can be improved (but not solved) by using a simpler desktop (eg. Zeam on the market), and possibly installing autokiller to adjust the default process tolerances.

2) The vibrate function doesn't work (only "normal 8220") / working with 8220-6

3) Occasional random reboots

4) App2Sd+ version causes a lot of problems (see thread)

PS:

Offical 2.1 Thread: http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-pulse-2-1-rom/

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS PLEASE ASK IN CORRECT THREADS

Tutorial made by Eckengucker

PPS: german version: http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-hacking-m...bile-pulse.html

Edited by Paul

Guest Stevos

Nice one :) I was working on a similar post, as the other threads have been swamped with questions and answers to the same problems.

Maybe this could be stickied?

Guest eckengucker1
change "(it's your fon backup!!!)" to the correct spelling and its good guide! :)

deleted it.

If you find more mistakes tell me please! Always a chance to learn for me ;)

Edited by eckengucker1

Guest Stevos

Also maybe worth adding a note at the top that the ROM is experimental, flawed and not recommended for general use.

Noted problems:

1) Lots of android.acore force close notices. This can be improved (but not solved) by using a simpler desktop (eg. Zeam on the market), and possibly installing autokiller to adjust the default process tolerances.

2) The vibrate function doesn't work.

3) The version string currently shows r3 not r4. This doesn't mean the ROM is wrong.

4) Occasional random reboots

5) The device ID has changed meaning that the USB cable cannot be used to connect the device to adb. This thread provides an apparently working windows 7 driver. http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...dows-7-drivers/

I'd suggest also -

Add a link to Paul's thread for more info & credit http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-pulse-2-1-rom/

Minor spelling issues: "darvik cache" -> Dalvik Cache , "nativ" -> native, "fon" -> phone

Nice work :)

Guest eckengucker1
Also maybe worth adding a note at the top that the ROM is experimental, flawed and not recommended for general use.

Noted problems:

2) The vibrate function doesn't work.

3) The version string currently shows r3 not r4. This doesn't mean the ROM is wrong.

4) Occasional random reboots

5) The device ID has changed meaning that the USB cable cannot be used to connect the device to adb. This thread provides an apparently working windows 7 driver. http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...dows-7-drivers/

I'd suggest also -

Add a link to Paul's thread for more info & credit http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-pulse-2-1-rom/

Minor spelling issues: "darvik cache" -> Dalvik Cache , "nativ" -> native, "fon" -> phone

Nice work :)

Link added but divice ID will be changed with r5 (I hope^^)

Guest Azurren

Change the order of step one. If you turn off the phone with usb connected it will instantly boot into charging mode. Enter blue screen mode then plug in usb to avoid this :)

Nice guide. Feel free to copy anything from mine if you have missed anything. It's good to cross check.

Guest eckengucker1
Change the order of step one. If you turn off the phone with usb connected it will instantly boot into charging mode. Enter blue screen mode then plug in usb to avoid this :)

Nice guide. Feel free to copy anything from mine if you have missed anything. It's good to cross check.

Idd thank you! I've changed that.

btw: d'you have a link to your tut?

Guest Celeb

is there a way to find out if I have december update? I bought my pulse in march of this year, but I am not sure whether it has update already installed?

Guest David Horvath

As i see there is nothing in this what is windows specific. Could you make a Universal howto? I think many of us are using different OS than windows.

Thanks.

Guest eckengucker1

for OSX/Linux just use install-recovery-mac/install-recovery-linux /install-superboot-linux/install-superboot-osx. Mostly it's phone-work

Edited by eckengucker1

Guest David Horvath

Thats what i'm saying. You wrote

"What you need:

Hardware:

* T-Mobil Pulse or Huawai 8220 phone

* USB-cable

* Windows PC"

I dont need a Windows PC at all for this. Especially not a Windows PC hardware :)

To make this howto valid for every platform would be 3 small modification. Not much. Thats what i'm asking for. After it we can put it into the wiki.

Guest eckengucker1
Thats what i'm saying. You wrote

"What you need:

Hardware:

* T-Mobil Pulse or Huawai 8220 phone

* USB-cable

* Windows PC"

I dont need a Windows PC at all for this. Especially not a Windows PC hardware :)

To make this howto valid for every platform would be 3 small modification. Not much. Thats what i'm asking for. After it we can put it into the wiki.

Ahh now I know what you mean ;) /changed

Guest eckengucker1
Will this work on non t-mobile u8230s? I had trouble rooting the 1.5 before..

Sorry dude, only for 8220 phones. 8230s touchscreen may not work with 2.1. Just try it but don't forget creating a Backup!

Guest David Horvath

Danke schön! Gute arbeit :) (Ich nur studiere Deutch, so eintschuldigung wann ich habe etwas nicht perfekt gesagt ;))

Guest eckengucker1
Danke schön! Gute arbeit ;) (Ich nur studiere Deutch, so eintschuldigung wann ich habe etwas nicht perfekt gesagt :D)

du hast das super gesagt :)

Guest escudo

Hmm.... i have a problem.

When trying these steps:

"- go to "Backup/Restore" (using joystick)

- confirm with green-key"

I get the following message:

error : Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!

What is the problem :S?!

Tried to do the 'Nand backup' only, and that did work...

Thanks in advance

Guest Daniel Williamson
Hmm.... i have a problem.

When trying these steps:

"- go to "Backup/Restore" (using joystick)

- confirm with green-key"

I get the following message:

error : Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!

What is the problem :S?!

Tried to do the 'Nand backup' only, and that did work...

Thanks in advance

Try plugging your usb in and then connect it to your computer :)

Dan

Guest escudo
Try plugging your usb in and then connect it to your computer :)

Dan

Tried that. Can reach all data through pc, but it wont do the Nand + ext flash... :\

;)

Guest Alex III
As many people were asking how to root the Pulse/8220 I'm going to explain that in this tutorial.

First of all please excuse that this tutorial may include some linguistic imperfections but english isn't my native language :)

Anyway let's start.

[*]T-Mobil Pulse or Huawai 8220 phone

Good and clear guide! Thanks a lot for your explanation!

Let me also add some corrects:

[*]T-Mobil Pulse or Huawai 8220 phone

Should be

T-Mobile Pulse or Huawei 8220 phone

Guest Daniel Williamson
Tried that. Can reach all data through pc, but it wont do the Nand + ext flash... :\

;)

No sorry i meant when in recovery mode just plug your usb in and try and nandroid backup again :)

Dan

Guest escudo
No sorry i meant when in recovery mode just plug your usb in and try and nandroid backup again :)

Dan

Yeh, did it in Recovery mode, won't work. Charged my phone to 100% battery. Tried it on my pc, not connected to any power, and connection to power (not on pc)....

Every time the same error.... :D :(

EDIT: Might just be the free storage on the SD card... Just noticed the normal Nandroid is 1.53gig... +Ext probably takes some more... gonna slean the SD and try again ;)

Edited by escudo