Kernel Source

Guest viper_campbell

Guest viper_campbell

Just seen on xda dev that apparently the Desire Kernel source has been released... Not 100% if its right or not as i wouldnt know how to verify, so if anyone out there does know, it could be good news!!!!

XDA Dev post

Direct link to apparent HTC Desire Kernel Source

Looks legit as the file location is the same as other HTC Kernels...

Edited by viper_campbell

Guest PaulW21781

Now the question is... How easy will it be to create a 2.6.33/34 kernel from this source for Froyo when its released :)

Guest gizzy98
Now the question is... How easy will it be to create a 2.6.33/34 kernel from this source for Froyo when its released :)

Sorry but a complete noob question now, what is a kernel in a nutshell and what does it mean for us with rooted desires?

Thanks

Guest craigcrawford1988
Sorry but a complete noob question now, what is a kernel in a nutshell and what does it mean for us with rooted desires?

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)

If we have kernel access, we have access to:

Overclocking, fully custom ROMS, locked directories (/system), etc...

PS: This is the kernel Android runs on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

Edited by craigcrawford1988

Guest Golf60

Smile... what a nice message.... I´ll hope the Desire gets quicker and battery-safer with this info in a new custom kernel rom...

Guest PaulW21781
locked directories (/system), etc...

Unless its coded in somewhere with no visible option, I've compared the /proc/config.gz from bother recovery boot and normal boot, and there are no differences in how the kernel was compiled between the two modes...

I've also done a byte-byte comparison of both kernels (from mtd1 and mtd2), the kernel itself is the same, the only difference is the contents and configurations within the RAMDISK image.

Within mtd1:

default.prop and init.rc differences

missing res/ folder from mtd2 which contains stuff for recovery background images

sbin/ on recovery also contains choice_fn, detect_key, mke2fs_recvy, offmode_charging, power_test and recovery binaries

Within mtd2:

Contains the following files not within mtd1:

bootcomplete.bravo.rc

init.bravo.rc

init.goldfish.rc

shutdown.bravo.rc

Meh...

Playing with the kernel is fun though :)