Orange pushes for 'pocket money' SPV cert costs

Guest pisquee

Guest spacemonkey
small developers who can't or won't pay $600 aren't going to be particularly good business for Microsoft, they quite likely won't be 'serious,' and practically none of them will make a significant impact on the platform. We certainly got the impression that Microsoft felt that anybody who couldn't afford the tab wasn't serious, so go figure, and consider the possibility that Orange and Microsoft are not exactly lined up together on this.

Yeah, they're right... how could gnuboy, doom, smartnes, boxy pocket, smartexplorer, task manager, etc, etc, make the slightest difference to the platform and it's potential future.

All non-serious developers should just quit cos clearly we're all wasting our time and we're not dedicated enough to the platform.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I think Microsoft isnt lined up with Microsoft over this either...

Considering the time, effort and resources they put into developing communities for their products (msdn, newsgroups, even MVP's...), to say that they "don't think small time developers are serious", is a joke, and i'm sure the communities and MS departments responsible for developing these communities will agree.

It would also have been nice for Orange to make their intentions of "easing" the certification issues more widely known, rather than having to read it through thereg ;p.

It will be interesting to hear Baltimores views on this. They have always been very keen to flag up the liability issues of our freeware certifcation proposal, and and it seems they take the same view as MS does in that article.

Guest midnight

all i can say is this is typical of 'the register'. their views mean diddly where microsoft is concerned (gotta all be mac or linux users), every time i see something about ms on the register i just tend to ignore it.