Getting my N1 ready for FroYo!

Guest anthdroid

Guest anthdroid

Hi everyone,

I have been using the Kitchen for some time now using different roms on my N1. I am rooted and have Recovery/Nandroid/etc.

How can I get my N1 ready for FroYo? I am very hopeful it will be a live OTA update this week because of the Google I/O event.

I guess I just want to go back to stock, in hopes of getting an OTA update. I would also like to retain the custom Recovery and all my Nandroid backups. Is that possible now?

Thanks!

Guest bobtentpeg
Hi everyone,

I have been using the Kitchen for some time now using different roms on my N1. I am rooted and have Recovery/Nandroid/etc.

How can I get my N1 ready for FroYo? I am very hopeful it will be a live OTA update this week because of the Google I/O event.

I guess I just want to go back to stock, in hopes of getting an OTA update. I would also like to retain the custom Recovery and all my Nandroid backups. Is that possible now?

Thanks!

Once you've installed a custom recovery (even if you flash stock back) you cannot receive OTA updates.

Guest thedonkey

I would flash stock Rom and recovery you can get directions on how to at xda. Save your nandroid backups on your pc for later use. Wait for froyo :-)

Guest anthdroid
Once you've installed a custom recovery (even if you flash stock back) you cannot receive OTA updates.

That sucks...I assume I can just download it though, correct?

Guest bobtentpeg
That sucks...I assume I can just download it though, correct?

Yup, an update.zip or the signed google PASSIMG would work

Guest fabiocampos
If your phone is rooted I would wait a couple of days that Enom or CM build a froyo version of their ROMs

I agree :)

Guest ksc6000

Strange, it seems everywhere I've read that as long as you put the stock ROM back on your nexus, OTA updates should begin.

Guest anthdroid
Strange, it seems everywhere I've read that as long as you put the stock ROM back on your nexus, OTA updates should begin.

Yep, I've read that too, hence my question in the first place...I really don't care- other than the fact that I don't want to wait, I want FroYo as soon as it is released!

Guest cezent
Yep, I've read that too, hence my question in the first place...I really don't care- other than the fact that I don't want to wait, I want FroYo as soon as it is released!

You are right about stock ROM will prompt for OTA update. However, the OTA will not install if u have Custom Recovery Image. Note that ROM and Recovery Image are two different things, in order to update using Google's OTA measure, you will need Stock ROM and Sock Recovery. You can flash stock recovery image very easily, just search the pinned topics for details.

If you want Froyo as soon as it is released, you are better off hanging on to the custom recovery image for the time being. Chances are the latest ROM will get repackaged and appear here before the OTA is sent through. The last Nexus One OTA took about 4 days to reach UK after public release, but showed up here minutes after it is official.

Guest ksc6000
You are right about stock ROM will prompt for OTA update. However, the OTA will not install if u have Custom Recovery Image. Note that ROM and Recovery Image are two different things, in order to update using Google's OTA measure, you will need Stock ROM and Sock Recovery. You can flash stock recovery image very easily, just search the pinned topics for details.

If you want Froyo as soon as it is released, you are better off hanging on to the custom recovery image for the time being. Chances are the latest ROM will get repackaged and appear here before the OTA is sent through. The last Nexus One OTA took about 4 days to reach UK after public release, but showed up here minutes after it is official.

repackaged and appear here as an update.zip? I don't know why I'm getting too excited about Froyo, it probably won't release till November or something. Just because the announcement is in May.

Guest squirreleater
repackaged and appear here as an update.zip? I don't know why I'm getting too excited about Froyo, it probably won't release till November or something. Just because the announcement is in May.

I fancy it'll leak to here/XDA very soon after being announced, we'll have it on a custom rom long before it is officially out in the wild.

No reason to say that, I just think it'll happen, after all, the nexus is basically a developers phone.

Guest Droid800

If you reflash the stock recovery you'll be fine. If you have stock with a custom recovery it will prompt you to download the update, but install will fail.