Will 2.2 Froyo OTA update work on an unlocked/rooted N1 ?

Guest Alex Buga

Guest Constantine XVI
I've unlocked and rooted my N1. When 2.2 will be out, I'll have to unroot it or smth ?

I have the stock ROM.

If you're running pure stock, you should still get stock updates, unlocked bootloader or not.

Guest brosenz
If you're running pure stock, you should still get stock updates, unlocked bootloader or not.

will r14 work ?

Edited by brosenz

Guest Constantine XVI
will r14 work ?

You won't get the OTA at all if you're not running an official build. Nothing stops you from applying the update on your own, but there's no magic "merge with MCR/CM" switch; so you'd have to run stock until MCR adapts to Froyo.

Guest brosenz
You won't get the OTA at all if you're not running an official build. Nothing stops you from applying the update on your own, but there's no magic "merge with MCR/CM" switch; so you'd have to run stock until MCR adapts to Froyo.

Currently I am running the Stock ROM with SuperBoot with Himem boot image, and Recovery 1.7 tool, will it work ?, thanks

Edited by brosenz

Guest slyydrr
Currently I am running the Stock ROM with SuperBoot with Himem boot image, and Recovery 1.7 tool, will it work ?, thanks

No. Since you replaced the stock recover image with your own, the OTA update won't install. It will download but then nothing beyond that. You'll have to wait for it to be packaged up into and update.zip and then install it manually through your custom recovery image.

Guest lyrikal757
No. Since you replaced the stock recover image with your own, the OTA update won't install. It will download but then nothing beyond that. You'll have to wait for it to be packaged up into and update.zip and then install it manually through your custom recovery image.

Thought you could just download it and rename the ROM update.zip and then update?

Guest willdenham
Thought you could just download it and rename the ROM update.zip and then update?

You can do that, but OP was asking about Over The Air updates which you can NOT get if you're bootloader is unlocked.

Guest brosenz

Option 1:

If I go back and install just the Stock Recovery image will work ?, or I have to install the Stock Boot image as well ?, I would like to keep the Boot image becasue of the HIMEM option activated.

Option 2:

If, when I will get the OTA Download option (I am running Stock ROM, so I should get it later today) I do save it to the SD card, and then rename it as Update.zip, boot with the Recovery 1.7 tool and install/update from there, the update will work ?

Edited by brosenz

Guest willdenham
Option 1:

If I go back and install just the Stock Recovery image will work ?, or I have to install the Stock Boot image as well ?, I would like to keep the Boot image becasue of the HIMEM option activated.

Option 2:

If, when I will get the OTA Download option (I am running Stock ROM, so I should get it later today) I do save it to the SD card, and then rename it as Update.zip, boot with the Recovery 1.7 tool and install/update from there, the update will work ?

You will never, ever, ever, ever get an OTA now that your bootloader is unlocked... UNLESS someone in the future finds out a way to return the bootloader to locked. This is currently not possible at the moment with the Nexus One, and there isn't enough interest out there to really do it.

It does not matter what ROM you are running, it is all about the unlocked bootloader.

Now, normally ( and sometimes even BEFORE ) shortly after OTA updates come out, someone will share the update.zip with the community. You just place that on your SD Card and you get the update.

Guest brosenz
You will never, ever, ever, ever get an OTA now that your bootloader is unlocked... UNLESS someone in the future finds out a way to return the bootloader to locked. This is currently not possible at the moment with the Nexus One, and there isn't enough interest out there to really do it.

It does not matter what ROM you are running, it is all about the unlocked bootloader.

Now, normally ( and sometimes even BEFORE ) shortly after OTA updates come out, someone will share the update.zip with the community. You just place that on your SD Card and you get the update.

After I installed back the Stock ROM on my unlocked Nexus One, I got (within the next 15 min) and OTA update for 2.1-Update 1, and worked fine, so why I shouldn't get the OTA for 2.2 ?

Guest muncheese

So wrong. The only thing that matters if that you have an official rom on the device.

Guest slyydrr
So wrong. The only thing that matters if that you have an official rom on the device.

It's not related to the bootloader being unlocked, but rather that you have the official ROM and the original recovery image, correct? I'm pretty sure that having the official ROM with a customer recovery image will allow you to get the OTA update, but not actually install it.

Guest fuzio1963

WRONG!! Recovery image is the thing!

WRONG again! If you have a stock rom, original one, but not original recovery image, you will get OTA, but it won't install. You will get an error.

Guest slyydrr
WRONG!! Recovery image is the thing!

WRONG again! If you have a stock rom, original one, but not original recovery image, you will get OTA, but it won't install. You will get an error.

Ding ding ding! :rolleyes: