Wish to share Singapore CSC B7610NXSOIL3, but how to extract CSC from ROM?

Guest pytan77

Guest pytan77

Hi, all!

You may recall an earlier post where I was seeking a stock Singapore CSC later than SOIK5. Well, today I made a trip down to the service centre, and had my CSC updated to SOIL3.

I've love to share this CSC file with whoever who needs it, but I need to know how to extract the CSC outta my phone. Could anyone point out the way?

Thanks!

- PY

Guest Klimto

As far as i know it is impossible to dump a CSC file from the phone. Maybe some people are working on it, but i don't think there is anything working right now

Guest pytan77

Hi, Klimto!

Oh, that's quite unfortunate. Would've been good for us all to be able to make backups of our CSC. Perhaps someone will make a breakthrough one day.

Thanks for the info!

-PY

As far as i know it is impossible to dump a CSC file from the phone. Maybe some people are working on it, but i don't think there is anything working right now

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

It is possible! Please download the tool from here :

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=50834

Now make a folder called csc_bak in your phone memory and copy the file cscGetFiles.exe into it. Run it and wait for 2 mins. After that, you will get a file Backup.csc in the same folder. This is your extracted CSC, you can use it for flashing purpose.

Guest pytan77

Hi, Sumit!

Thanks for the info! I've downloaded and run the file provided. I then got a file called Backup.CSS. Should it have a .CSC extension? Is this normal?

Anyway, I renamed the file to B7610NXSOIL3.CSC, and then tried opening the file using OCTANS 2.14. The info OCTANS displays looks OK (as in it identifies the sales region as XSO - Singapore), but I didn't try reflashing my phone since I've just gotten it restored. :rolleyes:

Here's the links to the file:

http://www.4shared.com/file/L_kjXdj4/B7610NXSOIL3.html

Not sure if any brave soul would be kind enough to try the file out.... :D

-PY

It is possible! Please download the tool from here :

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=attach...st&id=50834

Now make a folder called csc_bak in your phone memory and copy the file cscGetFiles.exe into it. Run it and wait for 2 mins. After that, you will get a file Backup.csc in the same folder. This is your extracted CSC, you can use it for flashing purpose.

Guest asbud
Hi, Sumit!

Thanks for the info! I've downloaded and run the file provided. I then got a file called Backup.CSS. Should it have a .CSC extension? Is this normal?

Anyway, I renamed the file to B7610NXSOIL3.CSC, and then tried opening the file using OCTANS 2.14. The info OCTANS displays looks OK (as in it identifies the sales region as XSO - Singapore), but I didn't try reflashing my phone since I've just gotten it restored. :rolleyes:

Here's the links to the file:

http://www.4shared.com/file/L_kjXdj4/B7610NXSOIL3.html

Not sure if any brave soul would be kind enough to try the file out.... :D

-PY

hi, whats the different in this csc from the your old csc? what does it do? or why do you want it to update your old csc with this one? i've already downloaded it.. but not flash it yet..

thanks 4 the reply

Guest pytan77

Hi, Asbud!

To be totally honest, I do not know what the differences are. However, I assume that a later CSC would contain updated Carrier/Country/Region specific customisations. So for this XSO CSC which is specific to Singapore, I assume that there are certain improvements implemented with feedback from the 3 main telcos here.

If your phone wasn't bought from Singapore, it may not be a good idea to flash this CSC as it may mess up your keyboard layout. I learnt this the hard way when I first flashed my phone, using a Swedish XEE CSC. Some keys got swapped, such as the ? , . keys. Also, my $ got replaced by the Euro symbol.

So I had to replace this wrong CSC with an old stock Singapore CSC. ThenI went to a service centre to have the most updated CSC installed.

That's my story. :rolleyes:

-PY

hi, whats the different in this csc from the your old csc? what does it do? or why do you want it to update your old csc with this one? i've already downloaded it.. but not flash it yet..

thanks 4 the reply

Edited by pytan77

Guest asbud
Hi, Asbud!

To be totally honest, I do not know what the differences are. However, I assume that a later CSC would contain updated Carrier/Country/Region specific customisations. So for this XSO CSC which is specific to Singapore, I assume that there are certain improvements implemented with feedback from the 3 main telcos here.

If your phone wasn't bought from Singapore, it may not be a good idea to flash this CSC as it may mess up your keyboard layout. I learnt this the hard way when I first flashed my phone, using a Swedish XEE CSC. Some keys got swapped, such as the ? , . keys. Also, my $ got replaced by the Euro symbol.

So I had to replace this wrong CSC with an old stock Singapore CSC. ThenI went to a service centre to have the most updated CSC installed.

That's my story. :rolleyes:

-PY

wow, nice reply :-)

my CSC is SOIK5, i buy it @kaskus forum.. i presume its Singapore's too.. so, i think its ok to flash it.. but, im just curious, what does it do? do you feel any changes after you flash it?

Guest pytan77

Hello again, Asbud!

Yes, SOIK5 is definitely a Singapore CSC, so in theory, flashing the SOIL3 CSC would give you a later version. Do take note that flashing the CSC will format all contents of your phone. If I recall correctly, the difference between the old SOIK1 and SOIL3 CSC is just that there are more widgets if you are using the Samsung TouchWiz interface. I personally don't like it much, so there's no issue for me. :rolleyes:

I think what the CSC file does is to provide custom widgets for different countries, maybe some optimisations for phone companies, and most importantly, the CSC contains the correct keyboard mapping for your phone. :D Having a new CSC doesn't make your phone faster or provide additional features. That should be the PDA part of flashing the phone firmware...

But I must say, if your phone works fine, you may want to keep the SOIK5 CSC and not flash the SOIL3 CSC. The IK5 CSC is only one version before IL3.

I also say this for the following reasons:

1) The file I have posted is an untested backup. I haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it will affect your phone negatively.

2) I'm sharing this file for users of XSO B7610s to use in an emergency, meaning that they really need to use this CSC because of an incorrect flashing procedure or they used the wrong CSC file for flashing like me.

3) I love the B7610, so I hope that you won't have any trouble with yours if you use my CSC file.

So if you think you'd still like to try flashing the SOIL3 CSC, my friend, please let us know if your phone is OK after flashing.

I hope things go smoothly for you!

-PY

wow, nice reply :-)

my CSC is SOIK5, i buy it @kaskus forum.. i presume its Singapore's too.. so, i think its ok to flash it.. but, im just curious, what does it do? do you feel any changes after you flash it?

Edited by pytan77

Guest asbud
Hello again, Asbud!

Yes, SOIK5 is definitely a Singapore CSC, so in theory, flashing the SOIL3 CSC would give you a later version. Do take note that flashing the CSC will format all contents of your phone. If I recall correctly, the difference between the old SOIK1 and SOIL3 CSC is just that there are more widgets if you are using the Samsung TouchWiz interface. I personally don't like it much, so there's no issue for me. :(

I think what the CSC file does is to provide custom widgets for different countries, maybe some optimisations for phone companies, and most importantly, the CSC contains the correct keyboard mapping for your phone. :( Having a new CSC doesn't make your phone faster or provide additional features. That should be the PDA part of flashing the phone firmware...

But I must say, if your phone works fine, you may want to keep the SOIK5 CSC and not flash the SOIL3 CSC. The IK5 CSC is only one version before IL3.

I also say this for the following reasons:

1) The file I have posted is an untested backup. I haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it will affect your phone negatively.

2) I'm sharing this file for users of XSO B7610s to use in an emergency, meaning that they really need to use this CSC because of an incorrect flashing procedure or they used the wrong CSC file for flashing like me.

3) I love the B7610, so I hope that you won't have any trouble with yours if you use my CSC file.

So if you think you'd still like to try flashing the SOIL3 CSC, my friend, please let us know if your phone is OK after flashing.

I hope things go smoothly for you!

-PY

i think i'm going to flash it.. :-) i have a problem with the keys.. i dont know if it is the csc problems or the pda.. but when i use the standard WM slide lock key, if i press volume down keys several times in standby mode, i get a volume zero when i wake up the phone.. also if i press up key for several time in sleep mode, i get max volume when i wake the phone.. just like the keys are still working while standby.. because of this i use S2U2 for lock screen.. much2 better..

Guest pytan77

Good morning, Asbud!

I've never noticed this problem with my phone, but I just tried and you're right about it.

But I'm not sure if this problem is related to the PDA part instead of the CSC. From what little I know about S2U2, it doesn't lock all hardware keys also. But there may already be a fix for that... :(

-PY

i think i'm going to flash it.. :-) i have a problem with the keys.. i dont know if it is the csc problems or the pda.. but when i use the standard WM slide lock key, if i press volume down keys several times in standby mode, i get a volume zero when i wake up the phone.. also if i press up key for several time in sleep mode, i get max volume when i wake the phone.. just like the keys are still working while standby.. because of this i use S2U2 for lock screen.. much2 better..