"Unsupported phone" error for Rooted Desires on Telstra - Partial Fix

Guest Muskie

Guest Muskie

It seems that Telstra users have been having no end of problems getting their rooted desires to access Telstra BigPond Services Such as their Data usage, Mobile Foxtel, or the BigPond app/game store.

Thanks to about 4 calls and three hours on the phone with Telstra, I finally managed to get a hold of a nice woman in L2 Wireless data support, who managed to give us a set of APN settings that Partially fix the problem.

The New APN Settings are thus:

Name: Telstra Internet

APN: Telstra.internet

Proxy: 10.1.1.181

Port: 80

Username/Password/Server/MMSC/MMS Proxy/MMS Port: <Not Set>

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 505

MNC: 01

Authentication Type: CHAP

APN Type: Default

This will give access to the Mobile Data Usage link on your Rooted desire. Still getting the incompatible phone error trying to access Mobile Foxtel, however, But having MDU access is probably a lot more important to most people.

Can anyone with a Rooted Desire on telstra please try these settings to confirm if they work for more than just me?

EDIT:

Bigpond VOD sites (BigpondTV, AFL, MasterChef,etc) seem to work.

Tones and Pics also.

Only thing that doesn't work now seems to be Mobile Foxtel, and the App/Game Store (which to be honest, really isn't that much of a loss what with the Android Market..)

Edited by Muskie

Guest Muskie

Update: Figured out the problem, finally. Honestly, it was pretty silly that I didn't check earlier about it:

Telstra only allows the A8183 and not the A8181 to connect to BigPond Services, as it reads the Device name form the phone when connecting.

When Rooted, the reported Device name changes to A8181.

In other words, Aussie bigpond users are going to need a custom ROM just for them that corrects this so that the device displays the correct Model number.

If there are any custom ROM developers who'd be able to do this, or give me some tips as to where to look in the MCR as to which files to edit, that'd be awesome :rolleyes: