Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest Epic-Emodude
We could show the progress like this:

|+++++---------|

and later

|++++++-------|

etc.

We could also show the progress by waiting for the devs to make progress and then tell us so I dont get my hopes up everytime I see someone has comented on this post and think that we might have froyo... :lol:

Guest _melchett

fishing for info i received this from huawai:

At present Huawei R&D don’t have the plan to develop Android 2.2 for U8220

Handset.

Though the Android 2.1 version had been released in other country, it has

not been released by Tmobile-UK.

Edited by _melchett

Guest BigBearMDC
if Huawei provided the resources to make a 2.2 update, what would you need?

Vendor config and kernel source (not necessarily).

Edited by BigBearMDC

Guest tabor56

everyone should bug Huawei to release the required resources to the community, list what you would need then everyone can send a (slightly different) e-mail to support.

Guest screwface
Would like to point out that we can't add stuff like gmail, maps, or whatever apps are google (or any others) copyright products. Hueawai should have some OEM rights so they can use them, we don't :lol:

sure you can. Cyanogen is the only guy that got a c&d because he's so well known.

I doubt google knows anything about anyone on these forums other than paul.

Guest BigBearMDC
everyone should bug Huawei to release the required resources to the community, list what you would need then everyone can send a (slightly different) e-mail to support.

I don't think this would have the desired effect =/

Guest Andy Veliz

or at least comment Bear's post on huawei forums, so they could see how badly we need these things... :lol: :D

i think this is one of your threads Bear?

http://www.huaweidevice.com/community/thre...&orderStr=9

is there another one?

Guest BigBearMDC
what could you do with the .29 kernel? wouldnt you need the newer one for froyo?

FroYo should work with the .29 kernel too.

But I could enable multitouch etc.

Guest Speckles
Would like to point out that we can't add stuff like gmail, maps, or whatever apps are google (or any others) copyright products. Hueawai should have some OEM rights so they can use them, we don't :lol:
I don't think Google would care to be honest, as long as you mentioned they are Google products that belong to Google (ie, you make it obvious who holds the rights to them). Carrier specific apps are more risky, but really, there isn't many of these you would want to keep anyway (The first thing I did was remove all the T-Mobile crap, for instance). Stuff like DocsToGo, which are distributed in trial/free format I don't think the owners would mind either - it's free advertising.

Guest brookergray
I feel like beeing the only active member of the Huawei forum :lol:

Yap, that's my thread (like many others) :D

When did you became Huawei staff? :D

Google uses the standard Linux kernel or they modify it? So if you would to port a newer version you would need to used the one from kernel.org or Google has their own tailored for Android?

Guest Tom G
Vendor config and kernel source (not necessarily).

The vendor config has changed a lot in froyo (its now in /device instead of /vendor), so even if we had the vendor config it would need to be rewritten. It would of course be a lot easier to write a froyo config if we had a working one from an older android version. If they could provide froyo device config that would be great, but I doubt they have it.

I made a quick device config last night. It doesn't build successfully yet, and when it does I expect it will create a lot more problems than it will fix, but hopefully I'm not wasting my time. I think we will probably run into problems with the proprietary libraries. We can copy them off the eclair rom, but if things like bionic have changed between eclair and froyo (and I'm sure they have) we will probably have problems with all the proprietary bits being linked against the wrong libraries.

Guest DanWilson
Yeeeeeeeeeeah :lol:

(CSI music)

MEGA LULZ!!!

(Although I think it was sarcastic...)

Edited by DanWilson

Guest DanWilson

BUMP!

We need attention! And if anyone could help me to help out (knowing how to mount the boot.img / system.img would help me a lot - a bit.)

Guest BigBearMDC
BUMP!

We need attention! And if anyone could help me to help out (knowing how to mount the boot.img / system.img would help me a lot - a bit.)

Wow, mount the "boot" image ... you really need some help :D

(JK :D :lol:)

Guest DanWilson
Wow, mount the "boot" image ... you really need some help :D

(JK :D :lol:)

Dude, I just put things on the phone and hope, I don't try this stuff normally, I've just got nothing to do till the 10th (I go away for 2 weeks - will the Pulse forum survive! (I promise a return party!).