Android 2.2 Development

Guest eckengucker1

Guest Richard_Arkless
Do we get mini sausage rolls and party sausages+cheese on cocktail sticks?

dont forget the welcome back cake and some refreshments :lol: lol

Guest Tom G

Ok, so a quick update one what I've been doing.

I mentioned earlier in the week that I was putting together some device/vendor config stuff. Unfortunitely the documentation around all of this is very poor so it has taken longer than expected and is still a long way from complete. I now have a base that builds properly and creates a system image that boots.

So far there is no extra functionality from the previous rom (except brightness controls work), and a few things that worked before are now broken.

The boot image that the build process is making won't boot so I need to look into why that is happening. I think wifi is very close to working and problems stopping it at the moment appears to be from the boot image (the wpa service is not in init.rc from the boot image I am currently using). Bluetooth and a few other things might also just need changes to the boot image.

RIL is still not working (although the driver is now in the build) but there are no error messages generated so I don't know why it is failing. I haven't looked into it much yet, but I'm sure there will be a way to get more debugging messages from it. Sound is also not working which is a major problem.

I will try to fix what looks like easy problems first, and then move onto the RIL and sound issues. I'm hoping to get at least wifi running today.

If I get things to actually work I will release a new rom and make all the device/vendor source available, but at the moment it needs more work.

Edited by Tom G

Guest Richard_Arkless
Ok, so a quick update one what I've been doing.

I mentioned earlier in the week that I was putting together some device/vendor config stuff. Unfortunitely the documentation around all of this is very poor so it has taken longer than expected and is still a long way from complete. I now have a base that builds properly and creates a system image that boots.

So far there is no extra functionality from the previous rom (except brightness controls work), and a few things that worked before are now broken.

The boot image that the build process is making won't boot so I need to look into why that is happening. I think wifi is very close to working and problems stopping it at the moment appears to be from the boot image (the wpa service is not in init.rc from the boot image I am currently using). Bluetooth and a few other things might also just need changes to the boot image.

RIL is still not working (although the driver is now in the build) but there are no error messages generated so I don't know why it is failing. I haven't looked into it much yet, but I'm sure there will be a way to get more debugging messages from it. Sound is also not working which is a major problem.

I will try to fix what looks like easy problems first, and then move onto the RIL and sound issues. I'm hoping to get at least wifi running today.

If I get things to actually work I will release a new rom and make all the device/vendor source available, but at the moment it needs more work.

Maybe you can install some collaboration tool where people can look at the work you have done so far, this way more and more people can find errors in the rom and such

Its just a suggestion

Guest DanWilson
Do we get mini sausage rolls and party sausages+cheese on cocktail sticks?

dont forget the welcome back cake and some refreshments :lol: lol

If I must... Any music preferences? JKJK

I must say, well in to Tom G! By the looks of it, he's the only guy trying to get us some Froyo! We might just get this before any other big manufacture phone (Evo 4G, Galaxy S - What, you say they have a locked NAND or something? Meh, we will get it before them (I payed HTC!))

I really want to know what we know we will never get working (if anything!)

Guest il_cholo

Tom G do you know how to manipulate radio frequencies for 3G? is a driver appart of GSM and it loads during the boot?

Edited by il_cholo

Guest Tom G
Maybe you can install some collaboration tool where people can look at the work you have done so far, this way more and more people can find errors in the rom and such

Its just a suggestion

I know, I need a git repository or something. I don't know anything about git, so I won't do anything about it until I have something worth sharing.

Tom G do you know how to manipulate radio frequencies for 3G? is a driver appart of GSM and it loads during the boot?

I'm not sure what you mean. Radio is controlled by rild which is started by init. The driver used on our devices by rild (libril-qc-1.so) is closed source. Hopefully the eclair driver will work, but probably not. I haven't played with it much, but at the moment I get.

dlopen failed: Cannot load library: link_image[1995]: failed to link libril-qc-1.so

Guest phildrip
I know, I need a git repository or something. I don't know anything about git, so I won't do anything about it until I have something worth sharing.

I'm not sure what you mean. Radio is controlled by rild which is started by init. The driver used on our devices by rild (libril-qc-1.so) is closed source. Hopefully the eclair driver will work, but probably not. I haven't played with it much, but at the moment I get.

dlopen failed: Cannot load library: link_image[1995]: failed to link libril-qc-1.so

I've had the same error when trying to use the eclair lib on Froyo, even after copying all its dependencies. :lol:

Guest hungary

edit hardware/msm7k/libaudio/Android.mk

at around line 29, add a new line "LOCAL_PRELINK_MODULE := false". Place it right after the CLEAR_VARS. Rebuild libaudio with "mmm -B hardware/msm7k/libaudio", push the new libaudio.so to /system/lib/, and you should be up and running.

Guest Simon O
Hmm, interesting. But that's for rebuilding the lib, and we don't have the source to build.

Most of the source should be on CodeAurora.

Guest phildrip
Most of the source should be on CodeAurora.

That's interesting... How so? Is there some Huawei stuff you've seen there, or do you know if they've re-used some stuff from it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Speckles

Tom, if your struggling, don't just drop the project, let other people help. We don't care if it looks like a mess. We all want 2.2 :angry:

Guest screwface

anyone consulted paul, even windows mobile phones are getting froyo running left right and centre i'm sure he could give a hand.

Guest Tom G
Tom, if your struggling, don't just drop the project, let other people help. We don't care if it looks like a mess. We all want 2.2 :angry:

Work has been crazy the last couple of weeks so I haven't had much time for this. I bought an Xperia X10 last week, so once that arrives the Pulse will be 100% a dev phone.

I'm hoping to spend some time on this over the weekend, but I also have a few other things to work on. I haven't given up yet. :D

Guest david_dawkins
Work has been crazy the last couple of weeks so I haven't had much time for this. I bought an Xperia X10 last week, so once that arrives the Pulse will be 100% a dev phone.

I'm hoping to spend some time on this over the weekend, but I also have a few other things to work on. I haven't given up yet. :angry:

Is there really no way the talented community here can help with this? Are you saying that those that could help would know already how you got where you are? (You're a genius in my eyes, by the way).

Dave

Guest Tom G
Is there really no way the talented community here can help with this? Are you saying that those that could help would know already how you got where you are? (You're a genius in my eyes, by the way).

Dave

I'm not a genius and I haven't got very far (which is why I haven't released what I have). I wouldn't be surprised if there are other people watching this thread that have more working than me but just aren't saying anything.

The stable image I released which had nothing working but was stable honestly only has one line changed from the AOSP code (and I mentioned a few pages back what it was that I changed). Since then the only changes I have made are to try and get a vendor config working and while what I have now does compile, the resulting image is unstable and nothing extra works so it really is no better than what I have already released. When (if) there is some progress I will make available what I have changed. What I have now really isn't going to help people, if others want to have a go all they need do is get the AOSP code and start playing.

The X10 arrived today, so now I have another toy to play with. The screen makes the Pulse look fairly ordinar. I don't know how people get by with QVGA.

Guest david_dawkins
I'm not a genius and I haven't got very far (which is why I haven't released what I have). I wouldn't be surprised if there are other people watching this thread that have more working than me but just aren't saying anything.

The stable image I released which had nothing working but was stable honestly only has one line changed from the AOSP code (and I mentioned a few pages back what it was that I changed). Since then the only changes I have made are to try and get a vendor config working and while what I have now does compile, the resulting image is unstable and nothing extra works so it really is no better than what I have already released. When (if) there is some progress I will make available what I have changed. What I have now really isn't going to help people, if others want to have a go all they need do is get the AOSP code and start playing.

The X10 arrived today, so now I have another toy to play with. The screen makes the Pulse look fairly ordinar. I don't know how people get by with QVGA.

OK, my mistake. I've taken you off the Genius list. Thanks for the pointers on what you've done so far.

Guest Speckles
I don't how people use QVGA either. After using the Pulse, I don't think I could go back to a lesser resolution such as that.

Guest Tom G

Time for a brief update.

First of all. Rild now works :angry: , which I'm really surprised about. I expected it to be much harder to get working.

I haven't done much testing but 2G is certainly working for both making and receiving calls, audio still doesn't work so obviously this is of limited use. I haven't tested 3G yet, I will try when I get an apns.xml on it.

I gave up on the mess I had and started over from the AOSP source yesterday. The vold problem I was having is now fixed, so SD works. It still has a bit of a problem in that it always tries to mount the last partition instead of the first (even if you set the partition number in vold.fstab) so it only works if the last partition is FAT. I'm not too concerned at the moment, at least it is working. If the card only has 1 partition it works properly. Getting it to mount the right partition isn't a priority but I expect will be fairly easy to fix.

I've written a new device config. I now have a much better idea of how the build system works, so its a lot tidier than the one I had before and appears to have fixed the bug I had with EGL which was making my last rom unstable.

Known Problems

The system rom builds correctly, but the boot rom is still unbootable. Repacking it seems to fix the problem, but really shouldn't be necessary.

Rild fails at boot due to a permissions problem so I need to add a chmod to init.rc to fix that, but otherwise rild looks good so far.

I need to get some sleep now (1AM here and work in the morning) but I'll try to get a rom up tomorrow for anyone that wants to take a look. I guess the next thing to get working will be audio.

I will look into setting up a code repository now that I think I have something worth sharing. There are no changes to the AOSP code, so its only the device config that is needed.

Edit.

3G = Fail.

D/DHCP ( 1581): failed to set ip addr for rmnet0 to 0.0.0.0: Permission denied

E/QC-DSS-LIB( 1538): Could not start udhcpc

Hopefully just need to figure out what it needs permission to. I will look at it tomorrow.

Edited by Tom G

Guest Fusion0306
Time for a brief update.

First of all. Rild now works ;) , which I'm really surprised about. I expected it to be much harder to get working.

I haven't done much testing but 2G is certainly working for both making and receiving calls, audio still doesn't work so obviously this is of limited use. I haven't tested 3G yet, I will try when I get an apns.xml on it.

I gave up on the mess I had and started over from the AOSP source yesterday. The vold problem I was having is now fixed, so SD works. It still has a bit of a problem in that it always tries to mount the last partition instead of the first (even if you set the partition number in vold.fstab) so it only works if the last partition is FAT. I'm not too concerned at the moment, at least it is working. If the card only has 1 partition it works properly. Getting it to mount the right partition isn't a priority but I expect will be fairly easy to fix.

I've written a new device config. I now have a much better idea of how the build system works, so its a lot tidier than the one I had before and appears to have fixed the bug I had with EGL which was making my last rom unstable.

Known Problems

The system rom builds correctly, but the boot rom is still unbootable. Repacking it seems to fix the problem, but really shouldn't be necessary.

Rild fails at boot due to a permissions problem so I need to add a chmod to init.rc to fix that, but otherwise rild looks good so far.

I need to get some sleep now (1AM here and work in the morning) but I'll try to get a rom up tomorrow for anyone that wants to take a look. I guess the next thing to get working will be audio.

I will look into setting up a code repository now that I think I have something worth sharing. There are no changes to the AOSP code, so its only the device config that is needed.

Edit.

3G = Fail.

D/DHCP ( 1581): failed to set ip addr for rmnet0 to 0.0.0.0: Permission denied

E/QC-DSS-LIB( 1538): Could not start udhcpc

Hopefully just need to figure out what it needs permission to. I will look at it tomorrow.

I can't understand half of what you just said, but keep up the good work! :angry: Froyo, here we come (slowly, but that's not important) :D

Guest Simon O
I can't understand half of what you just said, but keep up the good work! :D Froyo, here we come (slowly, but that's not important) ;)

Basically it now allows the phone to work as a phone :angry:

Excellent work, Tom! Hope you get a github online for this soon :D

Guest tantalus

Hi guys.

Let me introduce myself.

My Name ist Alex. I got my Pulse since a month now and tried every ROM flying around in Modaco and then built my own.

I also came to the conclusion that we HAVE to get Froyo with its according kernel (v2.6.32.6).

As i am a somewhat experienced Linux user, i yesterday began to experiment with the kernel sources.

Most drivers come from Google or HTC, and they fed their input to CodeAurora (eg compas and audio).

But, however, some do come from Huawei, therefore we do only have the drivers from 2.6.26 from Android 1.5, some from 2.6.29 from Android 2.1 from Pulse Mini source.

Bad news: These drivers include (essential) graphics, keyboard and Touchpad.

Good news: All drivers are single files, which dont include much code.

I was able to adapt graphics and keyboard into 2.6.32.6, but the kernel crashes at boot time.

My problem is: I can`t get the boot output. Huaweis cmdline specifies console=ttyUSBCONSOLE0, can get this output via adb?

Luckily the video driver itself works, so i get a screen, but if i specify console=tty0, its too fast to see...

Guest BigBearMDC
Hi guys.

Let me introduce myself.

My Name ist Alex. I got my Pulse since a month now and tried every ROM flying around in Modaco and then built my own.

I also came to the conclusion that we HAVE to get Froyo with its according kernel (v2.6.32.6).

As i am a somewhat experienced Linux user, i yesterday began to experiment with the kernel sources.

Most drivers come from Google or HTC, and they fed their input to CodeAurora (eg compas and audio).

But, however, some do come from Huawei, therefore we do only have the drivers from 2.6.26 from Android 1.5, some from 2.6.29 from Android 2.1 from Pulse Mini source.

Bad news: These drivers include (essential) graphics, keyboard and Touchpad.

Good news: All drivers are single files, which dont include much code.

I was able to adapt graphics and keyboard into 2.6.32.6, but the kernel crashes at boot time.

My problem is: I can`t get the boot output. Huaweis cmdline specifies console=ttyUSBCONSOLE0, can get this output via adb?

Luckily the video driver itself works, so i get a screen, but if i specify console=tty0, its too fast to see...

I think ttyUSBCONSOLE0 is the adb interface. The problem is that adb is a service that runs in Android, and gets started pretty late in the booting process. One thing you could try is editing the init.rc to start adb first, but I don't know if this would be possible becuause it might insist on other funcionalities that are only available when at least parts of Android are loaded/ initialized. Its worth a try anyway. If the kernel panics before the init.rc is processed ther's no other way to view the output than via tty1 (well, you could put the adb service into the kernel :angry: ).

Best regards,

BigBear