[CLOSED] USB Bricked Desire or Legends, let's get a count. [55+ and counting]

Guest eViL D:

Guest betalaga
Sorry to butt in (I don't have a desire or legend) but what do you mean by 'bricked'?

I understand bricked to mean completely dead, not turning on, nothing there, leaving you an expensive 'brick'.

Is this what you mean? I only ask as I understood it was nearly impossible to Brick an android phone apart from pulling the battery mid rom flash?

Not trolling, just curious.

my desire is true brick after radio update.. no charge, no turning on .. nothing :rolleyes: :D

Guest terminal 7

curious?

i have not yet rooted my desire, i was about to untill i saw this threat..

could do with getting more acurate detail like if the bricked-usb devices are all branded or unbranded, orange or t-mobile for instance..

and which bootloader and original rom and radio ...

and which root method was used ...

Guest i6bazar
my desire is true brick after radio update.. no charge, no turning on .. nothing :rolleyes: :D

You've done just the radio update ?

your phone was rooted ?

You were using USB or SDCard ?

Guest Dr_Ash

Ok, question. Has anyone bricked their desire using a Mac? All references I have seen are with people using windows/linux.....

Guest PaulW21781
Ok, question. Has anyone bricked their desire using a Mac? All references I have seen are with people using windows/linux.....

I used the r1 method, so used Windows for running testruu.exe only, and then Ubuntu for the final pushfiles method.

On my laptop I'm dual booting:

*Windows 7 Pro x64

*Ubuntu 9.10 x64

No issues, worked fine, and still does (with all the radio updates and so-forth) And any other updates I do, I copy the update.zip to my SDCard, and flash from Recovery console (via #sudo ./recovery-linux.sh)

Even with A2SD installed, and the SDCard partitioned, I've never had any issues doing so (SDCard corruption, etc etc). I use only the one SDCard (original 4Gb one which came with the Desire), and its all fine...

I'd be interested to know what USB chipset is in the PC of those with bricked Desire's. Mine is Intel ICH8 Family controller.

And yeah, those with bricked Desire's, did you flash via a USB hub? Or if not, front or rear ports on your computer?

Edited by PaulW21781

Guest pina

I used a mac and it bricked, but before bricking, I sometimes had problems with glitches in the recovery menu. And the last time I went into recovery, the glitch went back, so I turned the phone off and restarted it again and wanted to go into recovery but it failed. Occured a few times, those glitches but the last time was fatal.

Guest impazzito

if you brick your phone and it reboot for more time.. just push out your memorycard.. using a card reader put on linux machine.. open gparted.. format your ext3 partition.. than remount your sdcard on your phone and enjoy!

Guest i6bazar
if you brick your phone and it reboot for more time.. just push out your memorycard.. using a card reader put on linux machine.. open gparted.. format your ext3 partition.. than remount your sdcard on your phone and enjoy!

you mean it would fix the brick and put the usb back alive ??

Guest impazzito
you mean it would fix the brick and put the usb back alive ??

for me it works.. try and give your feed!!

:rolleyes:

Guest pina

are you sure you bricked your phone like we did...? Did you test your usb connection after you bricked your phone? I already tried to insert another SD-card that has been formatted entirely, uncluding deleting all partitions and convert the crd to FAT32.

Edited by pina

Guest jamlam

I'd be interested to know what USB chipset is in the PC of those with bricked Desire's. Mine is Intel ICH8 Family controller.

I originally rooted on a Windows 7 32bit machine with an ICH8 using the backplate USB ports and was fine, did 3 or 4 flashes this way. I then applied the kernel update using an Ubuntu Lucid machine from the front USB ports and was bricked. That machine had an ICH7 controller.

Guest afiorillo

Wait, let's call things the right way. You're speaking of a bootloop, not of the USB damage that is called "brick" here.

Guest eViL D:
Wait, let's call things the right way. You're speaking of a bootloop, not of the USB damage that is called "brick" here.

Exactly, we know how to resolve general bootloops. Bootloops just seem to be the starting point for the brickage. And, to be honest, when mine started bootlooping, I didn't think anything of it until I actually booted and saw no sd card mounted.

Guest betalaga
You've done just the radio update ?

your phone was rooted ?

You were using USB or SDCard ?

yes

yes

usb

today i've sent it to htc

Guest Snarkasm

Well, I just couldn't resist, and it bit me today.

Brick.png

Of note for this run:

I used nohup in the recovery script, but I used it successfully before as well.

When I got into recovery, it dropped back to the red triangle; had to re-run the bat file. Again, this has happened before as well.

When I went to create a nandroid backup (nand only), it failed with the "run nandroid-mobile.sh from adb" message.

I haven't bootlooped in a long time.

I hadn't flashed yet; I was backing up in preparation. This fairly clearly points to the recovery method.

Powered off the phone and restarted it into recovery and got the dreaded Qualcomm CDMA device driver pings.

Add another potential tester to the group. I'll give it a bit before I unroot and return it. Now I'm left wondering if I could have avoided it by rebooting before running the nandroid. Ah well.

Guest scotch whisky

As has been said many times "USB bricking" clearly points to the recovery method. I think we can discount loose cables, windows,linux,macs etc.

Although I have flashed my Desire 30+ times I think it is time to stop until Paul or someone else comes up with a safer method. I am pretty happy with MCRr3 with A2SD+ so I shall leave well alone.

Some people have suggested unrooting. I don't think this is necessary, just stay away from recovery for the time being.

This thread shows that the number of "USB bricks" is significant and is happening to some quite experienced users not just those who haven't a clue what they are doing.

There currently isn't any way to guarantee not "USB bricking" your Desire if you use recovery.

Edited by scotch whisky

Guest Snarkasm

That's the crappy part. I'm pretty happy with my ROM, I just wanted to try Richard Trip's UV/OC, and now here we are. It at least leaves me with a ROM I don't feel "stuck" with, though.

Guest ilos
Well, I just couldn't resist, and it bit me today.

Brick.png

Of note for this run:

I used nohup in the recovery script, but I used it successfully before as well.

When I got into recovery, it dropped back to the red triangle; had to re-run the bat file. Again, this has happened before as well.

When I went to create a nandroid backup (nand only), it failed with the "run nandroid-mobile.sh from adb" message.

I haven't bootlooped in a long time.

I hadn't flashed yet; I was backing up in preparation. This fairly clearly points to the recovery method.

Powered off the phone and restarted it into recovery and got the dreaded Qualcomm CDMA device driver pings.

Add another potential tester to the group. I'll give it a bit before I unroot and return it. Now I'm left wondering if I could have avoided it by rebooting before running the nandroid. Ah well.

exactly the same screen with my legend lol

Guest jdouce

thing is we narrowed it to "recovery method" ppl have scoured the code and every time we think we have something we hit a brick wall

Guest afiorillo
[...]

[...]

Again, that's the only constant I see so far. Recovery console occasional instability leds to USB "bricking".

I wonder if there's somebody out there that ended to a USB-disabled device without a "warning" like that.