Systematic cleanup of errors in 2.1Vanilla

Guest gusthy

Guest Cheadle

What is interesting is that Big Bear says that his original works fine with no issues, so we need to be looking closer to the transfer of the data in this case.

Im not totally up with how you are making these roms, however if as Big Bear claims that the rom is working fine before we make the custom rom, then something in this process is the issue. Im guessing this is where the actual problem lies.

Guest gusthy

sh4d0w, did you add both sqlite files or only sqlite3?

(yes, they are the same versions. my guess is that there is something wrong with the pulse sqlite3 binary, at least the other seems not to crash the phone. so long run tests are welcome.)

anyways, the market should be fixed.

Guest gusthy
What is interesting is that Big Bear says that his original works fine with no issues, so we need to be looking closer to the transfer of the data in this case.

Im not totally up with how you are making these roms, however if as Big Bear claims that the rom is working fine before we make the custom rom, then something in this process is the issue. Im guessing this is where the actual problem lies.

you are partially right.

Bobo. said that the rim is identical, but his update.app reflashed some hardware. on the other hand, we don't know what else it did.

Guest Simon O

(yes, they are the same versions. my guess is that there is something wrong with the pulse sqlite3 binary, at least the other seems not to crash the phone. so long run tests are welcome.)

Same versions but different file sizes, oddly.

Guest igor_anta

I'm not at home to start testing this (my gf will assassinate me if I mess with the phone at her party:)) so as soon as I'm home it's a go. Also there is a new version of the N1 gallery that fixes the rotation bug (more bypass than fix though, it seems that the app just restarts when you rotate) so you may add it in the next build, even instead of the default one 'caus it kinda sucks:D

Guest thisweb
I'm not at home to start testing this (my gf will assassinate me if I mess with the phone at her party:)) so as soon as I'm home it's a go. Also there is a new version of the N1 gallery that fixes the rotation bug (more bypass than fix though, it seems that the app just restarts when you rotate) so you may add it in the next build, even instead of the default one 'caus it kinda sucks:D

Thanks gusthy/sh4d0w. Trying out rom now. Do you believe this has fixed the reboot issue? That was really the only issue I had with it, (white clock and no vibrate, I can live with for a while.)

Guest Spooke
Thanks gusthy/sh4d0w. Trying out rom now. Do you believe this has fixed the reboot issue? That was really the only issue I had with it, (white clock and no vibrate, I can live with for a while.)

I still have the problem, Its crashed about 3 times, its currently been running for 20 minutes now since last crash :rolleyes:

Guest goce.nakov
I still have the problem, Its crashed about 3 times, its currently been running for 20 minutes now since last crash :rolleyes:

Running 30 minutes now without FC or Reboots and its damn fast.....good work

Guest le_lutin

Do you have a link to the apk?

Guest Simon O

I wonder if it's worth trying the rom without JIT enabled? I've read on other forums that there are some applications which are unstable with JIT enabled.

Guest Sh4d0w940

When Bobo and Paul changed the rom from updata.app to update.zip some changes were gone.

The hardware driver flashing and repartitioning for example won't occur with an update.zip.

I just changed sqlite3, in the next update I will change the other also and have a look at the framework errors.

Running 30 minutes now without FC or Reboots and its damn fast.....good work

Thanks, I thought of removing JIT to improve stability but I left it enabled after all because it improves the speed noticeable.

I wonder if it's worth trying the rom without JIT enabled? I've read on other forums that there are some applications which are unstable with JIT enabled.

You can disable it easily by removing this line from build.prop: "dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit"

Sh4d0w940

Edited by Sh4d0w940

Guest Cheadle
When Bobo and Paul changed the rom from updata.app to update.zip some changes were gone.

The hardware driver flashing and repartitioning for example won't occur with an update.zip.

Just excuse me for being silly if this is the case. But is this not an issue with the software that we are using to flash the rom? Isnt this some string that is missing something out, as surly we are looking for a close to exact copy of the rom as missing bits out cant be good - well it isnt for example if im doing web coding and miss out a string of CSS then the whole site will look different.

Isnt this where we need to be addressing the issue. Lets go back to the start and then move forward.

Guest Josh04

No, it's not like that. We can only flash software, with the software update method. The original update uses the firmware update method, which we don't understand.

Edited by Josh04

Guest igor_anta
Do you have a link to the apk?

Well I'm not sure if it's a pirated app, cause at XDA they link these types of apps all the time:S I think it's just ported from the N1 and so it shouldn't be a paid market app. If I'm not supposed to put this here just warn me and remove it. Cheers.

Gallery_1.1.30682.rar

Guest gusthy

if somebody has time, it would be nice to track down the initial crash of keyboard app.

it has a java stacktrace in the logcat, and it happens regardless of which keyboard you use.

Guest Stevos

This sounds like an excellent idea, hopefully more of these force closes can be tracked down and squashed by replacing faulty components. Perhaps an md5 / diff on all the apk and relevant files from known good ones would be a good idea where possible.

Has anyone had anything show up in logs when the phone reboots itself? I'm unsure if the log would catc anything significant for an entire device reboot (ie. something where presumably the VM and the underlying system fails entirely.)

I would guess the reboots are connected with running out of memory or some kind of system resource (file handles etc) that the system can't recover from gracefully. It's also apparently something which is persisted to the system storage, as reports from various people indicate that after 12 hours or so (probably somewhat dependent on app and system usage), the reboots start at an increasing rate.

If something connected to this were not persisted to phone storage, I would expect somewhat regular reboots (dependent on usage) rather than an apparently increasing rate over time.

Guest Josh04
Well I'm not sure if it's a pirated app, cause at XDA they link these types of apps all the time:S I think it's just ported from the N1 and so it shouldn't be a paid market app. If I'm not supposed to put this here just warn me and remove it. Cheers.

You're probably going to get in trouble for that, pal.

This sounds like an excellent idea, hopefully more of these force closes can be tracked down and squashed by replacing faulty components. Perhaps an md5 / diff on all the apk and relevant files from known good ones would be a good idea where possible.

Has anyone had anything show up in logs when the phone reboots itself? I'm unsure if the log would catc anything significant for an entire device reboot (ie. something where presumably the VM and the underlying system fails entirely.)

I would guess the reboots are connected with running out of memory or some kind of system resource (file handles etc) that the system can't recover from gracefully. It's also apparently something which is persisted to the system storage, as reports from various people indicate that after 12 hours or so (probably somewhat dependent on app and system usage), the reboots start at an increasing rate.

If something connected to this were not persisted to phone storage, I would expect somewhat regular reboots (dependent on usage) rather than an apparently increasing rate over time.

It's very complicated. There are even two kinds of reboot - ones where the phone does a full reboot, and ones where the system thread crashes and it starts back from the spinning T-Mobile screen.

Guest sbadger

It's very complicated. There are even two kinds of reboot - ones where the phone does a full reboot, and ones where the system thread crashes and it starts back from the spinning T-Mobile screen.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that one of these types of reboot is due to a radio problem. Since changing the preferred network type in the engineer/testing menu to GSM only it has eliminated the reboots which occur when the phone is in my pocket/not being used. My uptime was approaching 40 hours until the other kind of reboot occurred (screen froze when in use and rebooted a few seconds later) presumably due to lack of memory.

Guest Josh04
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that one of these types of reboot is due to a radio problem. Since changing the preferred network type in the engineer/testing menu to GSM only it has eliminated the reboots which occur when the phone is in my pocket/not being used. My uptime was approaching 40 hours until the other kind of reboot occurred (screen froze when in use and rebooted a few seconds later) presumably due to lack of memory.

Have you done the sqlite3 fix detailed in this thread? I did yesterday, and my phone has been fine since. I do agree that the problem is linked to the radio somehow though, as previously disabling data connectivity had the same effect for me, with the reboots coming back pretty much as soon as I turned it on.

I haven't been out with my phone since performing the fix, though, so it remains to be seen how well it works outside of my room.

Guest igor_anta

Well I hope not:D This thing is not on the market, the first version was already uploaded on these forums and at XDA they included it on their ROM's. So I guess I'm safe... or am I:)

As for the ROM i didn't give a try to the new one yet, still using the vanillaish, but I noticed something. It's completely fringe but heck:D In the last two days I only got reboots when my battery is low. The whole day I was using the phone, abusing it even, and no problems. But during the nights (the last two nights) I get reboots cause the battery is around 20% or lower?!

Guest Simon O

I'm thinking radio also. When BigBear flashed with the original update, his radio was updated. He doesn't have any of the stability issues that people running the custom rom are experiencing.

Guest gusthy
I'm thinking radio also. When BigBear flashed with the original update, his radio was updated. He doesn't have any of the stability issues that people running the custom rom are experiencing.

That is what is strange.

The radio WASNT updated on BoBo-s phone.

Guest Rizzly

Hmm, I think BigBear discussed the "real" 2.1 update being in and UPDATA.APP file (wich is huaweis native update format). Since there is a script that McSpoon made for unpacking these files (or well, at least there is for 1.5-updates), perhaps we could just take out the radio-updates and in some way upgrade these on our phones? Might be a very risky process, but perhaps it would be worth looking at? What do you think, would it even be possible?

The script for unpacking the files can be found here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...data-app-files/

Edit: Oh well, seems the radio wasn't even updated :rolleyes:

Edited by Rizzly

Guest gusthy
Hmm, I think BigBear discussed the "real" 2.1 update being in and UPDATA.APP file (wich is huaweis native update format). Since there is a script that McSpoon made for unpacking these files (or well, at least there is for 1.5-updates), perhaps we could just take out the radio-updates and in some way upgrade these on our phones? Might be a very risky process, but perhaps it would be worth looking at? What do you think, would it even be possible?

The script for unpacking the files can be found here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...data-app-files/

Edit: Oh well, seems the radio wasn't even updated :(

Yes, this is what I told :rolleyes:

It is not because I am so clever, but BoBo mentioned it :D