Android 2.2 update

Guest webjames

Guest webjames

Dear All,

Had an iphone for the last couple of years, but now i've got a Pulse Mini, my first try with android. looking at 2.2 it seems to be generally considered more effective with resources than 2.1.

So when can we expect the update?

I know Android updates are applied differently than with the iPhone and are released when the provider wants to.

James

Guest webjames

looking at this the update would have to come from T-Mobile and be an over the air update. i'm not sure if historically T-Mobile has updated their devices?

If you've rooted your device the OVA update wont work and will need to be applied manually, or so i've heard.

T-Mobile have updated their Nexus One with 2.2. however the G1 seems to be without so i'm not sure what that means for the Pulse Mini

Guest JohnPorter

It may be a while if they do. T-Mobile UK are denying knowledge of an update to 2.1 for the Mini's brother, the Pulse, although T-Mobile Hungary has released the update.

Guest Azurren

If we take the Pulse for example then no, the mini won't get an update to 2.2

However it may get a 3.1 update :(

(although the pulse minis hardware probably won't be able to support it seeing as it is outdated now)

Oh and you can't compair your iphone to a pulse mini.. You have to compair like to like. The nexus one and the htc desire (cheaper than the 3gs), both beat the iphone in every comparison test.

Edited by Azurren

• 1 month later...
Guest Epic-Emodude
looking at this the update would have to come from T-Mobile and be an over the air update. i'm not sure if historically T-Mobile has updated their devices?

If you've rooted your device the OVA update wont work and will need to be applied manually, or so i've heard.

T-Mobile have updated their Nexus One with 2.2. however the G1 seems to be without so i'm not sure what that means for the Pulse Mini

T-mobile didnt update the Nexus One, Google did, and will continue to do so untill they bring out the next google phone.

Guest Azurren
If we take the Pulse for example then no, the mini won't get an update to 2.2

However it may get a 3.1 update :(

(although the pulse minis hardware probably won't be able to support it seeing as it is outdated now)

Oh and you can't compair your iphone to a pulse mini.. You have to compair like to like. The nexus one and the htc desire (cheaper than the 3gs), both beat the iphone in every comparison test.

Actually 3.x.x will never come to the pulse mini.

2.2 is the end of the road for any budget android smartphone :(

The pulse was only updated when the mini was launched with 2.1, probably just ported it over (Badly) If Huawei release a 2.2 device on T-Mobile then chances are it will be ported to the mini

Guest Gjole86
got an email off t-mobile today saying 2.2 should be released end of august

where are u from? if ur mail is from t-mo uk then .....

m

Guest damnsmalldan

Yes!

Athough i'm not going to get my hopes up too much. :(

2.2 is better on resources, which is great news for the Pulse Mini.

Hopefully TMob wil let us use wifi tethering, as i'mnot sure they will.

Guest mikeygb69

I just want the option of installing apps to SD. more control of wifi / 3G would be nice. i'd like the 3G to automatically turn off when im using wifi and be able to control which apps can use 3G as its not unlimited. apart from them I think the pulse mini is an excellent phone and a bargain at £99 (although ive seen it cheaper!)

Guest damnsmalldan

I asked TmobileUKhelp on Twitter if they said the update would come at the end of august, and they replied with this:

'we have not had any communications about this yet but if we do we will put out a public tweet'

So its a possibility. :(

Guest damnsmalldan

I asked TmobileUKhelp on Twitter if they said the update would come at the end of august, and they replied with this:

'we have not had any communications about this yet but if we do we will put out a public tweet'

Guest mikeygb69

this is the email i got from them:

Thanks for your email Michael, asking me about the update on Android 2.2.

I understand how important it is for you to know about the latest update on Android and I'll certainly advice you.

I'd like to tell you that Android 2.2 is probably expected to be released in this month.

However, I'd advice you to look for the Android updates on our website by clicking here.

(http://support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=home&cat=SOFTWAREDOWNLOADS)

Thanks again for contacting me Michael and I'm sure the information provided by me is useful to check the updates on Android.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to email me or visit our help and advice section by clicking here.

Kind regards

Syed Mahdi

Customer Services Email Team

T-Mobile

Im guessing that he thinks its now august, otherwise hes suggesting it could be released TODAY (doubtful)

we just need to keep checking the t-mobile and huawei downloads sections

Guest DanWilson

I have high hopes for this (big Pulse porting will be a fun thing to test!), although I think T-Mobile UK said things like Q1 2010, then Q2 2010, then the end of April etc, and we still don't have the update from T-Mobile UK :( (from Hungary though! :( )

You should really email T-Mobile Hungary and ask them.

Guest Simon O
I have high hopes for this (big Pulse porting will be a fun thing to test!), although I think T-Mobile UK said things like Q1 2010, then Q2 2010, then the end of April etc, and we still don't have the update from T-Mobile UK :D (from Hungary though! :) )

You should really email T-Mobile Hungary and ask them.

I'm confident there will be an official 2.2 for the Pulse Mini and it'll be quite simple to port to the big Pulse. Actually even if another Huawei device gets the 2.2 update, if it's specs are similar to the Pulse/Pulse Mini then it could be flashed on our devices or easily ported.

Huawei do tend to use a lot of unified code. One of the devices should get 2.2 soon :D

Guest noobnoob

I saw this posted on the link.

Android Updates

June 2010: T-Mobile Pulse Mini Open Source Code

The "Open Source" code for the T-Mobile Pulse Mini is now available for you to download. This source code is available for the T-Mobile Pulse Mini only and is not compatible with any other Android handset.

Please only download this code if you have a high level of technical experience - it is for development use only and is NOT a necessary software upgrade.

To download, right-click here and select the "Save target as.." option - it should take about 2 minutes to download depending on your internet connection speed.

Please note the source code:

is contained in compressed archives in .rar and .tar formats, so please ensure you have software capable of extracting these formats

can only be successfully extracted on a system which supports case sensitive filenames

DOES THIS MEAN ANDRIOD 2.2 HAS BEEN RELEASED ?

Will it allow sd card storage, rather than to phone memory.

Guest damnsmalldan

Android 2.1has been released onto the Pulse - The Minis bigger brother- in the UK.

This update is 3 months later than when TMob Hungary released it.

So we should get 2.2. We might have to wait a while.