[GUIDE] How to get vibrate working on your 2.1 Pulse

Guest -Yaya-

Guest -Yaya-

How to get vibrate on your 2.1 Pulse

img_0535ssrc24.jpg

1) Download Update.app and put it on the root of your sd card

Apply it in the settings of android -> upgrade from sd

2) Then the phone reboots and you're back to 1.5 with a new huawei boot screen

3) After this shut the phone down and enter bootloader mode (turn it on while pressing volume up and red key) and apply the recovery menu and superboot (root)

4) Then you need to wipe everything

I also formatted the SD Card again but I think this is optional

5) Then you apply the 2.1 Vanilla Rom and the updated framework (optional - but you wont see the clock in the bar if you dont apply it) -> rename the updated framework to framework.zip or something like that or it wont work!

6) After this reboot your device (this takes about 3 min... more than I was used to by the older roms) and voila ... you have 2.1 Vanilla with a nice clock in the bar and most important with vibrate working!! :rolleyes:

Edited by -Yaya-

Guest Rizzly

Have you noticed any improvements in performance, like less FCs or reboots so far compared to a fresh 2.1 install without the new Update.app?

Guest Rizzly

Oh, and a word of WARNING to everyone flashing this. You PROBABLY won't be able to use a2sd if you try to go back to 1.5. I can't confim this, but since this (from what I gathered) essentially will turn your device to a U8220-6, it seems you can't go back to the december update, so I'm pretty certain this is the case...

Guest McSpoon

The method suggested is risky so people should be careful. I think it's worth noting the differences between update methods:

• Installing an update.zip - only affects the Android operating system. It's safe - can be undone with a Nandroid backup.
  • Installing an updata.app - reprograms the whole phone, not just the Android part. There isn't any way to undo it. It's a proprietary update system developed by Huawei and we don't know how it works. It has a list of which firmware versions can be upgraded and will only install if your current version is listed.

Generally, it's best to avoid installing updata.app files unless you're certain it's intended for your mobile carrier (T-Mobile or whoever).

To anyone who has flashed this:

Does ALL of your hardware still work?

Does it still make calls? Does you phone reboot after terminating a call?

Does it let you reinstall your previous update (the T-Mobile December Update).

Personally I have no intention of risking it, but each to their own, just be sure you understand the risks.

Guest -Yaya-

Will try that now...

Edit:

-Wifi works

-Can make calls and accept them... does not reboot!

Edited by -Yaya-

Guest Simon Taylor

What about the T-mobile November update? That has an updata.app file... Would that revert the phone back to stock T-mob 1.5?

Edited by Simon Taylor

Guest -Yaya-

I guess you can only update to newer update.app files

(This one is from 14th January 2010)

Edited by -Yaya-

Guest hungary
I guess you can only update to newer update.app files

(This one is from 14th January 2010)

Yeah, only the upgrade works (we dont have newer update.app, only if Huawei release the official 2.1), downgrade not!!! (1.5 original, 1.5 december, 1.5 [1.7] Paul Rom)

Guest hungary
So there is really no newer update.app available?

I guess, BigBear's 2.1 rom (what he never release) have 2010.04 date.

Guest ozren

can you put a mp3 as an ringtone with this... funny thing I can acces my SD, Aldiko is reading ebooks from SD, but ringdroid doesnt see mp3s on my SD? What am I missing here?

P.S. never mind...dont know how but it works now! Really strange... BTW that is the ONLY problem I had so far!

Edited by ozren

Guest McSpoon
ok that sound good :rolleyes:

Each updata.app file has a list of which versions can be upgraded. After installing that updata.app you'll only be able to install new updates that have U8220V100R001C125B249SP01 listed.

BigBear will be able to find out if it's listed in his beta Android 2.1 update. We don't know if the final T-Mobile Android 2.1 Update will list it. But if it isn't listed then your phone will reject the update.

That is also why you can't reinstall the December Update, because your new version U8220V100R001C125B249SP01 isn't listed within the December Update (which isn't surprising since it didn't exist back then).

And we can't edit the list either. Any modifications corrupt the file. Unless we figure out how to decipher the checksum system used.

Guest makmondeja

I've trying to following all the steps and make these work. The first step always says to me UPDATE FAILED. My phone is an U8220-6. It puts a log file in the dload folder. It's attached. Anyone else with these issue?

Can I use that file to flash it from the recovery menu?

Can anyone make a 2.1 Flash ROM that includes all the changes??

Thanks in advance.

sd_update.log.txt

Guest makmondeja

Let me just add that I have installed Bobo's 2.1 ROM right now. Do I have to go back to 1.5 to make these work or can I apply the Update.app directly from BoBo's ROM??

Guest niko1986

Had a force close after going through all of this after setting up my phone after putting 2.1 back on.

EDIT vibrate is working albeit very little feedback but IT IS there

Edited by niko1986

Guest Josh04

Worked for me. Can be simplified though, and no loss of apps/data:

1) Make a nandroid backup.

2) Apply UPDATA.APP

3) Reboot to fastboot

4) Flash Recovery

5) Reboot to recovery

6) Restore nandroid.

Bam, done.

Guest sunnnny

Hello!

I applies the UPDATA.APP, followed by recovery & fastboot as mentioned above, and... no more touchscreen :rolleyes:

Before I was using my Pulse with the 2.1-update7, one day withount reboots, this morning I rebooted 3 times in one hour, so I thought I give this a try... bam.

But luckily, my nandroid backup of the 2.1-update7 brought back the touchscreen. So an advice to everyone: BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! :D

And yes - vibrating is working, thank you very much.

Hopefully 2.1 will be more stable now, time will show...

best,

Sunny

Guest HunteronX

Works well for me using an T-Mobile Pulse (U8220) - but after flashing the updata.app, I had to restore a BART backup to recover all of my apps and settings. You could restore a nandroid backup if you don't use Apps2SD.

Finally i flashed the update 7 vanilla 2.1 rom, and the framework zip to get the green 'hero' effect. But the date is still black, and the operator/carrier name is still greyish too - could anyone edit the services.jar in the framework-res.apk file to change them to white?

Edited by HunteronX

Guest gusthy

2.1 had many reboots with chinese rom, so I simply booted the chinese rom itself.

it is a cute vanilla cupcake with no pink bits. so in any case it is usable if 2.1 falls

Guest goce.nakov
2.1 had many reboots with chinese rom, so I simply booted the chinese rom itself.

it is a cute vanilla cupcake with no pink bits. so in any case it is usable if 2.1 falls

I dont have any reboots or FC so far....sometimes when exiting app the home screen need more time to load up

Guest gusthy
I dont have any reboots or FC so far....sometimes when exiting app the home screen need more time to load up

which rom do u use?