Dell Streak Info??

Guest Konrad Walsh

Guest Konrad Walsh

Does anyone have pricing info yet?

I thought it would be helpful to show the specs we can expect...

* Operating system: Google Android

* Processor: 1GHZ Qualcomm Snapdragon

* 3G, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth

* 5MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash.

* Expandable memory via Micro SD cards, up to 32GB capacity

* 5 inch touch screen

O2 Uk launching first

Dell-Streak.jpg

Edited by Konrad Walsh

Guest Konrad Walsh
Will be getting 2.2 OTA soon.

where did you hear this?

Ya i think 5" is slightly small alright.. but i think if its priced right... then it will win my heart

Guest Inquitus
Looks cool!

I wonder if 5" is 'too big for a phone' and 'too small for a tablet' tho...

P

My thoughts exactly, its just a bigger version of a Nexus One / Desire with a bigger screen, I don't think a market for this exists. Too big for a phone for most people, and certainly too small to be a useable slate.

I am still unsure as to whether the slate market itself exists, let alone the inbetween slate and phone! I do however have a hankering for an iPad, if only to use it, abuse it, and decide for myself if it belongs in this world :rolleyes:

As expected, the Dell Streak will have a 5-inch WVGA touchscreen, Qualcomm's 1-GHz Snapdragon Processor, 2 GB internal storage, maximum 32GB of external SD storage, 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, and a front-facing camera for video chat. The Streak will also have 3G, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity.

At launch, the Streak will be running Android 1.6 (Donut), but the device will receive an over-the-air upgrade to the new Flash-capable Android 2.2 (Froyo) later this year, a Dell spokesperson confirmed. The mini tablet will also come pre-loaded with Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube apps, and Google Maps featuring free turn-by-turn navigation.

Guest La Traviata

There's a video with a brief demonstration here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ski1hOvDbKg

My thoughts exactly, its just a bigger version of a Nexus One / Desire with a bigger screen, I don't think a market for this exists. Too big for a phone for most people, and certainly too small to be a useable slate.

I am still unsure as to whether the slate market itself exists, let alone the inbetween slate and phone! I do however have a hankering for an iPad, if only to use it, abuse it, and decide for myself if it belongs in this world :(

I think in combination with a bluetooth headset this could be awesome. It is basically a large PDA, so it has the media and business capabilities of a laptop or netbook, plus the connectivity, telephony and messaging functionality of a phone. The big screen makes for convenient reading of documents, ebooks, internet, video, gaming, texting and so on, but (unlike iPad or netbook) is not too big to fit into a purse or handbag. For me, that's a winning combination.

Too bad that it will be exclusive to O2. Dell is being just as short-sighted as Apple was with the iPhone and goes for the network with the biggest wallet, not the one with the best coverage or data capability.

Guest Azurren

Yeah not only would it not fit in your pocket but imagine putting this next to your ear to make / recive a phone call. :(

Yes you "could" use a bluetooth headset but then its not really a phone is it.

Guest griff_dai

I'm waiting to see if this price £429 is a sim free price or it's still locked to O2.

I have seen a couple of sites say it's sim-free but other's not mention it at all.

If it's so I think i'll buy one and see what it's like, I don't mind the slightly bigger form factor for what it gives you back.

Dai

Guest goodbrand

I think that is an unlocked price... but I think its overpriced for what it is... a bit useless as either a phone or a tablet :(

I would have thought it should have been priced closer to the archos internet tablet 5, then maybe it would have been a considerable piece of kit!! I shall await the looking glass...

Guest HustlinDaily

Yeah O2 exclusive in the UK. Apparently it will be in the States in July for $500 unlocked. My guess is AT&T bands because the Dell CEO said this phone will be coming to AT&T.

Honestly tho, this phone is perfect for either a woman, a man who carries a purse (lol) or a man who wears cargo pants. One major knock on the iPad is that it is not more portable than a netbook, same cannot be said about this.

Guest griff_dai
Yeah O2 exclusive in the UK. Apparently it will be in the States in July for $500 unlocked. My guess is AT&T bands because the Dell CEO said this phone will be coming to AT&T.

Honestly tho, this phone is perfect for either a woman, a man who carries a purse (lol) or a man who wears cargo pants. One major knock on the iPad is that it is not more portable than a netbook, same cannot be said about this.

Yeah that exclusive is for a network. Is the £429 a unlocked sim-free version that I could wack my Orange sim in?????

Regards

Dave

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

Well i went ahead and bought this today by phone from the CarPhone Warehouse as the couple of stores i went into couldn't confirm when they would have stock and felt for me the best deal was from CPW

I have taken it on their Mobile Broadband deal and this is the deal i got

£25pm on a 24 month contract

Dell Streak free with 16GB SDHC card in the box

300 UK Texts pm

3GB UK Data pm

Before i did this i spoke to 02 to try and find out what the unlimited data actually meant and was unable to get a clear definition of fair use but was able to find out that the Mobile Broadband service does get better speeds then the smart phone unlimited data users allegedly.

Now when i asked CPW what the fair use meant on the unlimited data for the Mobile deal i was told it was 500mb which i know isn't unlimited by any stretch of the imagination but is in line with what the other networks offer.

The reason i went for this deal is I'm not sure if this could be my only device or not and i have 8 months left of my current contract so will cancel the data on that and just use it for voice for now until i decide if the Streak can work as my only device or not.

02 now have full pricing up for both the Mobile Broadband Deal and also on either 18 or 24 month smart phone tariffs if you want to check it out.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest griff_dai
Hi all,

Well i went ahead and bought this today by phone from the CarPhone Warehouse as the couple of stores i went into couldn't confirm when they would have stock and felt for me the best deal was from CPW

I have taken it on their Mobile Broadband deal and this is the deal i got

£25pm on a 24 month contract

Dell Streak free with 16GB SDHC card in the box

300 UK Texts pm

3GB UK Data pm

Before i did this i spoke to 02 to try and find out what the unlimited data actually meant and was unable to get a clear definition of fair use but was able to find out that the Mobile Broadband service does get better speeds then the smart phone unlimited data users allegedly.

Now when i asked CPW what the fair use meant on the unlimited data for the Mobile deal i was told it was 500mb which i know isn't unlimited by any stretch of the imagination but is in line with what the other networks offer.

The reason i went for this deal is I'm not sure if this could be my only device or not and i have 8 months left of my current contract so will cancel the data on that and just use it for voice for now until i decide if the Streak can work as my only device or not.

02 now have full pricing up for both the Mobile Broadband Deal and also on either 18 or 24 month smart phone tariffs if you want to check it out.

Marc

I take it that your Streak is still capable of making calls?

Any chance of you posting some vid's on youtube?

Dai

Guest griff_dai
I take it that your Streak is still capable of making calls?

Any chance of you posting some vid's on youtube?

Dai

Also can you post some thoughts on the device etc..... Have o2 customised the device in any way?

Dai

Guest landwomble
Also can you post some thoughts on the device etc..... Have o2 customised the device in any way?

Dai

I've just been for a play with one at Manchester's O2 shop. Nice device, just within bounds of size for acceptable day to day carry. Feels fast, snappy. The screen isn't any higher res than my Desire, but it *feels* it when using the browser and stuff like Maps. Fairly heavy O2 branding on it by the looks of things.

Guest Paul

Gah, I might have to get one! On the basis I very rarely make calls and the Streak can if needed, it seems a good device for me...

P