Before trying a Custom ROM, an Application or Tweak for B7610...Read here first

Guest daskalos

Guest daskalos

First and foremost, it is Important to BACKUP data (backup your stock ROM, personal files, application/system files etc.) before modifying your B7610.

We must remember that each of our B7610 came with different PDA,Phone,Eboot and CSC versions, depending in our country or network providers. Omnia Chefs just cook the PDA part, and so most of us will logically flash the PDA part only. That's where the problem may start; since we only flash PDA parts, we might have different experience using the ROM because of our different Phone,Eboot and CSC parts.

It is quite true that some PDA,Phone,Eboot and CSC are better than others and some, maybe full of bugs. But how can we know? There's not much documentations included when firmware versions are released, so the only way to test them is by using them. But after dealing with what firmware to choose, we may face some issues with using custom ROMs because we're mixing different PDA,Phone,Eboot and CSCs. Of course,a bug might be the custom ROM's fault, but please don't assume that all bugs are because of the the modified ROM, 'cause there are other factors to consider, like end user customizations, third party apps, faulty hardware, base firmware etc.

With that fact, starts a number of issues that some may experience and some may not. There's no really much of a recommended combination, it's just that, some setups might be better than others.

If you are experiencing serious bugs, it is recommended to flash back to your Original Stock Roms, though different threads are available that may help fix it or post concerns with.

Then there are tweaks and applications. Please be noted that not all tweaks and applications for WinMo can be beneficial to your B7610. Some may work, some may work with bugs and some may make your device not work. Don't apply/install them just because they say backlight fix, increase sensitivity, camera improvement, best keyboard etc. It is important to read about what a tweak/ application does, possible issues and compatibility with devices. After gathering much info, you can safely install them without any worries.

Custom ROMs, stable or not, will always be experimental. For the reason that Chefs will try to port different things to a ROM hoping that result will be, not a perfect ROM, but a ROM that can be a little better than stock ones. Many people are trying their best to port this and that and luckily, we end with results, however stable or buggier the results would be.

The point is, those people are trying their best, to give all of us reachable results...

For those who can't do better but whine and are starting to hate their B7610

I remember,back then, when I still have an Acer M900, I was painstakingly looking for a forum that will give some device support (like XDA and Modaco does) and found http://www.smartphonegurus.com/forums/inde...n-acer-support/. Though there were a substantial number of M900 users, the forum was quite bare. It seems a little disappointing at first,but little by little, though I'm not really an expert on things, I posted some topics that may be helpful and interesting to do with the device. And so, little by little, the forum became alive with discussions and developments shared not only by me but all the members. We had Manilla 2D, TF3D and some Xperia Panels working on M900, Lite ROMs, successfully requested Chainfire's OpenGles Compatibility driver and HTC sensor to be compatible with the device,FPUEnabler (was developed from M900), driver fixes, 3D games, the first Overclock tool for SC3 processors (which i8000 and B7610 are now enjoying too) and more. The once bare forum was filled with ideas and positive outlook for M900.

But as they say, some good things never last.

Due to some reasons, I had to let go off my Acer M900, and also, leave the forum. Sadly, little by little, discussions dwindled, hope for a stable 6.5 ROM faded and somewhat, there's nothing new to discuss in the forums anymore but bugs. It's really quite sad to see that a once bare forum, came to life, just to see it fall sleep again.

So what's the point the of story above?

The point is, it may happen to our Beloved B7610 Forum too. The above happened not because I left that forum; it happened because nobody has taken the initiative to keep the fire burning.

We have many ideas, no matter how great or small, that we can share in this forum. We can whine all we want, and hate B7610 for things it is not or things it cannot do, but sure to balance it with productive things like sharing helpful posts. From those productive post, we are now enjoying things from bug fixes to Custom ROMs.

Because we are now enjoying these "ideas", it is quite appropriate to give those who shared them with respect and a simple appreciation like a simple little thank you or if you're willing enough, a small donation. Their works might not be perfect, but still, they made it using some effort and take note, distributed for free. And it doesn't end there. They will be still answering all your concerns and questions, even if how many times the question had already been answered or how late the time is. In essence, they're like the Samsung Support you never had :rolleyes:

So feel free to try ROMs, applications and tweaks you may find in this forum, but be aware of the points above. If you feel like sharing things to make B7610 a better device, you are very welcome to do so :D

Edited by daskalos

Guest Freezy1982

You are absolutely right daskalos!

I started in this community nearly from the beginning of the B7610 era.

Since this date there are so much tweaks / bug fixes and very good customRoms designed/found!

@ All developers and posters: Keep on this good upgroth and get our B7610 more perfect as it today is by sharing our knowledge!

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

I really appreciate your attitude Daskalos and I share the same feelings. Before my B7610, I use to have a HTC P3400i a.k.a HTC Gene. It was a very budget smartphone and quiet popular in my country. When I got into XDA forums' Gene section, there was not a single ROM available. Everyone was just going crazy to have 6.1 on their device and since HTC devices also have SPL, you can't imagine how many people were bricking their phones, 100s of them. It was then that I found a person, just like you, very helping :rolleyes: He shared with me some info about patching the SPL and some cooking info and based on that I created a guide to patch the SPL safely and with help of another buddy, put together a kitchen for the phone. Right from then, with experiments and trials (and errors :D ), after about 8 months, the forum became super charged. Later, while working with some other people, we ported Manilla 2D, WM 6.5 (right from the early builds that use to look like 6.1 ) and what not to our phone with just 200 Mhz processor and 64 MB of RAM. We took it to a level where with a fully loaded rom, we use to get 28-30 MB of free ram, while the stock one has only 12 MB.

It was so much fun, and after I ported the Bepe's Platformrebuilder kitchen and then Ervius Visual Kitchen, it got wild. Almost everybody on the forum began cooking their own custom roms and sharing them for those who can't. It became the most vibrant community I have ever seen.

But since I have left, It has become so dull, not many chefs there are actively building roms now and its like the "Fire" is gone and only "Ashes" left. It feels quiet bad now to see the state of things there.

So I encourage more and more people to get equipped with as much knowledge as possible and not to forget the "mantra" that makes/keeps any forum vibrant and makes it alive :

Sharing!

That's the only way things will move forward. Once again, a great bow from me to Daskalos, RodrigoFD, Wes85 and countless others who are working so hard to make better things possible for our phones!

Cheers Guys!

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest indivx
First and foremost, it is Important to BACKUP data (backup your stock ROM, personal files, application/system files etc.) before modifying your B7610.

We must remember that each of our B7610 came with different PDA,Phone,Eboot and CSC versions, depending in our country or network providers. Omnia Chefs just cook the PDA part, and so most of us will logically flash the PDA part only. That's where the problem may start; since we only flash PDA parts, we might have different experience using the ROM because of our different Phone,Eboot and CSC parts.

It is quite true that some PDA,Phone,Eboot and CSC are better than others and some, maybe full of bugs. But how can we know? There's not much documentations included when firmware versions are released, so the only way to test them is by using them. But after dealing with what firmware to choose, we may face some issues with using custom ROMs because we're mixing different PDA,Phone,Eboot and CSCs. Of course,a bug might be the custom ROM's fault, but please don't assume that all bugs are because of the the modified ROM, 'cause there are other factors to consider, like end user customizations, third party apps, faulty hardware, base firmware etc.

With that fact, starts a number of issues that some may experience and some may not. There's no really much of a recommended combination, it's just that, some setups might be better than others.

If you are experiencing serious bugs, it is recommended to flash back to your Original Stock Roms, though different threads are available that may help fix it or post concerns with.

Then there are tweaks and applications. Please be noted that not all tweaks and applications for WinMo can be beneficial to your B7610. Some may work, some may work with bugs and some may make your device not work. Don't apply/install them just because they say backlight fix, increase sensitivity, camera improvement, best keyboard etc. It is important to read about what a tweak/ application does, possible issues and compatibility with devices. After gathering much info, you can safely install them without any worries.

Custom ROMs, stable or not, will always be experimental. For the reason that Chefs will try to port different things to a ROM hoping that result will be, not a perfect ROM, but a ROM that can be a little better than stock ones. Many people are trying their best to port this and that and luckily, we end with results, however stable or buggier the results would be.

The point is, those people are trying their best, to give all of us reachable results...

For those who can't do better but whine and are starting to hate their B7610

I remember,back then, when I still have an Acer M900, I was painstakingly looking for a forum that will give some device support (like XDA and Modaco does) and found http://www.smartphonegurus.com/forums/inde...n-acer-support/. Though there were a substantial number of M900 users, the forum was quite bare. It seems a little disappointing at first,but little by little, though I'm not really an expert on things, I posted some topics that may be helpful and interesting to do with the device. And so, little by little, the forum became alive with discussions and developments shared not only by me but all the members. We had Manilla 2D, TF3D and some Xperia Panels working on M900, Lite ROMs, successfully requested Chainfire's OpenGles Compatibility driver and HTC sensor to be compatible with the device,FPUEnabler (was developed from M900), driver fixes, 3D games, the first Overclock tool for SC3 processors (which i8000 and B7610 are now enjoying too) and more. The once bare forum was filled with ideas and positive outlook for M900.

But as they say, some good things never last.

Due to some reasons, I had to let go off my Acer M900, and also, leave the forum. Sadly, little by little, discussions dwindled, hope for a stable 6.5 ROM faded and somewhat, there's nothing new to discuss in the forums anymore but bugs. It's really quite sad to see that a once bare forum, came to life, just to see it fall sleep again.

So what's the point the of story above?

The point is, it may happen to our Beloved B7610 Forum too. The above happened not because I left that forum; it happened because nobody has taken the initiative to keep the fire burning.

We have many ideas, no matter how great or small, that we can share in this forum. We can whine all we want, and hate B7610 for things it is not or things it cannot do, but sure to balance it with productive things like sharing helpful posts. From those productive post, we are now enjoying things from bug fixes to Custom ROMs.

Because we are now enjoying these "ideas", it is quite appropriate to give those who shared them with respect and a simple appreciation like a simple little thank you or if you're willing enough, a small donation. Their works might not be perfect, but still, they made it using some effort and take note, distributed for free. And it doesn't end there. They will be still answering all your concerns and questions, even if how many times the question had already been answered or how late the time is. In essence, they're like the Samsung Support you never had :rolleyes:

So feel free to try ROMs, applications and tweaks you may find in this forum, but be aware of the points above. If you feel like sharing things to make B7610 a better device, you are very welcome to do so :D

We appreciate your work daskalos, and I believe if we keep this forum alive then it will be most favorite place for many, I wish whenever anybody search anything which require customization, googles shows only our forums on the top, this can be done by supporting each other's work. I am reading lot of articles and tutorials to know how to cook, which is the best kitchen, etc etc.... which we can use for our b7610, but whenever I see anything new it either comes for HTC or omnia 8000 and somewhere it might be written that this mod can be applied to b7610 but not sure. Like Rod ported HD2 to Omnia II, I wish I can get a good tutorial so that I can get in depth knowledge about cooking. I am willing to put every effort to make something like that, but then I see people like you daskalos and sumit bhardwaj who are doing their best so that people like us can make their wishes fulfilled and that too........................free. You guys are doing a great job.....hoping that I will learn asap and join this team.

I really respect your work and appreciate your hardwork, no matter what some losers say.......

All the best

Guest freq437

It is not easy to understand winmo. Well, maybe to the first timer like me. But we should learn how to appreciate the hard work of all people involve here to make our B7610 be more user friendly. At first, i am a little bit disappointed with this unit. However, due to the help of daskalos and others, little by little i am starting to learn the capabilities and cons of this unit. Guys, come on please try to understand that there is no perfect in this world.

Thanks you for all your efforts and hardwork.

Guest ABUBAKR

hi daskalos..

I am trying to back up my b7610 before flashing.. so far i got

.eb0 file (Eboot)

.nb0 file (PDA)

.CSC file

How do i get MoviNAND(.mst), Contents(.mct), Phone(.bin) and Integrated image(.img) of my phone??? (shown in OCTANS Downloader v2.11)

Using Sorg's tool a .bin file was generated.. is this Phone(.bin)???

Are these files necessary for a beginner like me?

Thanks for all your help.. :rolleyes:

Guest daskalos
hi daskalos..

I am trying to back up my b7610 before flashing.. so far i got

.eb0 file (Eboot)

.nb0 file (PDA)

.CSC file

How do i get MoviNAND(.mst), Contents(.mct), Phone(.bin) and Integrated image(.img) of my phone??? (shown in OCTANS Downloader v2.11)

Using Sorg's tool a .bin file was generated.. is this Phone(.bin)???

Are these files necessary for a beginner like me?

Thanks for all your help.. :rolleyes:

if you got

.eb0 file (Eboot)

.nb0 file (PDA)

.CSC file

It's enough...Since flashing phone. bin is not recommended

Guest ABUBAKR

wow.. thts gr8..!

So now if i flash with any of the custom roms (b7610) available here in Modaco..

Can i go back to my original ROM using just these files (.eb0, .nb0, .CSC)?

P.S.

This might be a stupid question i know.. sorry for my little knowledge..!

I just don't want to mess things up..!

Edited by ABUBAKR

Guest daskalos
wow.. thts gr8..!

So now if i flash with any of the custom roms (b7610) available here in Modaco..

Can i go back to my original ROM using just these files (.eb0, .nb0, .CSC)?

P.S.

This might be a stupid question i know.. sorry for my little knowledge..!

I just don't want to mess things up..!

it's recommended to only flash .nb0...you can go back to your original stock rom by flashing your backup .nb0

Guest ABUBAKR
it's recommended to only flash .nb0...you can go back to your original stock rom by flashing your backup .nb0

Thanks a lot Daskalos.. really appreciate your help and your works..! :rolleyes:

Guest fense

It is really hard to get support in B7610, even using google also hard..

anyon eofund the solution for sms sent notofication without adffect the mms?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asbud
It is really hard to get support in B7610, even using google also hard..

anyon eofund the solution for sms sent notofication without adffect the mms?

Yeah!!! why the hell is this problem going on??

how come my previous HP hw6965, an dinosaur age PDA phone with WM5 can do mms while in WM standard messaging. But, in the new millennium age like B7610 with a WM6.1, WM6.5, WM6.5.3, even a WM6.5.5 cannot do MMS in standard WM messaging composer.. this sucks! i have to switch to samsung's heavy & slow messaging composer to do MMS?? why bother to have a beautiful interface if its slow as slug..?

secondly.. the free RAM.. the autoclosing problems.. its soo annoying.. my previous HP hw6965 only have 5 MB RAM left and can still going & going.. and never closes auto close programs..

i love my samsung B7610.. i really do.. but this bugs sucks big time!

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
Yeah!!! why the hell is this problem going on??

how come my previous HP hw6965, an dinosaur age PDA phone with WM5 can do mms while in WM standard messaging. But, in the new millennium age like B7610 with a WM6.1, WM6.5, WM6.5.3, even a WM6.5.5 cannot do MMS in standard WM messaging composer.. this sucks! i have to switch to samsung's heavy & slow messaging composer to do MMS?? why bother to have a beautiful interface if its slow as slug..?

secondly.. the free RAM.. the autoclosing problems.. its soo annoying.. my previous HP hw6965 only have 5 MB RAM left and can still going & going.. and never closes auto close programs..

i love my samsung B7610.. i really do.. but this bugs sucks big time!

Those phones you are talking about use to use a different MMS software which works as a plug in to the default messaging system. Arcsoft's MMS system is one such software. I think it can be installed on B7610 if you get the cab from XDA forum etc. The thing is, Samsung has tried to keep a consistent look-n-feel across all areas of the phone and the MMS app is a result of that. In some areas, their customizations are working good and providing some added functionality, like the blacklist feature and more finger friendliness in Phonebook, but it made things slow unnecessarily in others, like in messaging. So i have mixed feeling for the Samsung UI. Your HP performs better coz it doesn't have any finger friendliness whatsoever, it runs plain-jane Windows Mobile UI. If you want to use that, try using one of the Daskalos's lite roms.

The auto closing bug can be rectified to good extent by using the Autoclose patch 1.1. The only side effect of it that I have seen is abrupt closing of Opera 9, that comes with the phone (or any other app that tries to allocate a lot of memory in one go). I use Opera 10 so I don't really care about it.

Appreciable effort daskalos. I hope all would agree and abide by it.

I well understood you even before writing this post, remember I pmed you not to sell your b7610 :)

Guest asbud
Those phones you are talking about use to use a different MMS software which works as a plug in to the default messaging system. Arcsoft's MMS system is one such software. I think it can be installed on B7610 if you get the cab from XDA forum etc. The thing is, Samsung has tried to keep a consistent look-n-feel across all areas of the phone and the MMS app is a result of that. In some areas, their customizations are working good and providing some added functionality, like the blacklist feature and more finger friendliness in Phonebook, but it made things slow unnecessarily in others, like in messaging. So i have mixed feeling for the Samsung UI. Your HP performs better coz it doesn't have any finger friendliness whatsoever, it runs plain-jane Windows Mobile UI. If you want to use that, try using one of the Daskalos's lite roms.

The auto closing bug can be rectified to good extent by using the Autoclose patch 1.1. The only side effect of it that I have seen is abrupt closing of Opera 9, that comes with the phone (or any other app that tries to allocate a lot of memory in one go). I use Opera 10 so I don't really care about it.

so the standard HP6965 mms software also is a plugin and not a standar WM5 software? a thought the MMS is built in with the messaging feature.. i've tried the arcsoft's mms, but i dont know whats the problem, but it crash on my phone & wont send any sms, mms, or email.. just hang when i try to compose new message.. i haven't tried it with daskalos's ROM tough..

about the autoclose patch from chainfire.. i've installed it, with the ultra too.. but, still got th?e autoclose bug with opera 9.. i presume the opera 9 is a very high memory consuming program.. so the opera 10 is less??

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
so the standard HP6965 mms software also is a plugin and not a standar WM5 software? a thought the MMS is built in with the messaging feature.. i've tried the arcsoft's mms, but i dont know whats the problem, but it crash on my phone & wont send any sms, mms, or email.. just hang when i try to compose new message.. i haven't tried it with daskalos's ROM tough..

about the autoclose patch from chainfire.. i've installed it, with the ultra too.. but, still got th?e autoclose bug with opera 9.. i presume the opera 9 is a very high memory consuming program.. so the opera 10 is less??

Yes, Arcsoft MMS is a standard software which works by plugging into the standard WM5/6/6.5 messaging system and adding MMS capabilities into it. try the attached Arcsoft MMS cab, it works fine on the original JC2 ROM. On custom roms, I haven't tested.

Yes, the chainfire's patch has problem with Opera 9. Actually Opera 9 allocates a lot of memory in one go, which causes the problem as far as i know. Opera 10 is very very memory friendly. It uses 1-3 MB of RAM at most with two open tabs and full websites rendered into them. It never auto closes, unless you start up something like opera 9. And the best part is, Opera 10's final release (the RTM version) runs flash videos and animations too :) Its just a little slow in starting up, but I can manage with that.

Arcsoft_5_2_8_45_WVGA.cab

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest asbud
Yes, Arcsoft MMS is a standard software which works by plugging into the standard WM5/6/6.5 messaging system and adding MMS capabilities into it. try the attached Arcsoft MMS cab, it works fine on the original JC2 ROM. On custom roms, I haven't tested.

Yes, the chainfire's patch has problem with Opera 9. Actually Opera 9 allocates a lot of memory in one go, which causes the problem as far as i know. Opera 10 is very very memory friendly. It uses 1-3 MB of RAM at most with two open tabs and full websites rendered into them. It never auto closes, unless you start up something like opera 9. And the best part is, Opera 10's final release (the RTM version) runs flash videos and animations too :) Its just a little slow in starting up, but I can manage with that.

wow, thanks so much bro..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kaspy

hi all friends .. iam a new bie for today wm . i used them quite a long time before . i had no ideas of any thing of todays wm .

but i have seen the counity is so loving nad helping . all are doing the best of them self.

may GOD BLESS U ALL MY FRIENDS.

lu u all . thanks for making such beauityful and loving community ....

Guest sakisds

Well said daskalos, well said. Its up to us to make this phone better, its a great device with a lot of capabilities and we can make it even better. I am kinda new here, but with the help of the people here I found out how to flash and how to tailor the device to my needs. When my programming skills get better I hope to be proven useful to this community too, so I can help people make the most out of the device and of course, have fun with it. Keep up the good job everyone!