[ALL USERS! USB-disabling ("bricking") issue] - Data gathering

Guest afiorillo

Guest afiorillo

OK folks, the so-called "USB brick" issue had reached such a level of concern for both affected and unaffected users that every effort we can spend in order to sort it is worth it.

So, I'm going to start a comprehensive data gathering from all Desire users out there ("bricked" and not "bricked") in order to build a database big enough to be used for some statistical find-outs; the resulting data will be shared with Paul and the folks that are trying to sort this out, obviously.

To send data in, please follow this link: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?fo...4a0J0QVdJRHc6MQ (thanks to Shawe)

Please, use the two-letter country code for the appropriate fields (IT, UK, NL, etc).

I ask you to not post data in this thread as it contains sensitive informations (serial numbers, etc.). Once complete, we'll discuss the best way to analyze the data.

Incomplete forms will not be considered at all in the subsequent data evaluation phase.

Please feel free to suggest more questions and/or to criticize this initiative if you feel so. This is an initiative of mine, is not (yet) endorsed by Paul or the forum in any way. I'm not "bricked", I'm just trying to help the developers find out a solution for the "bricked" guys (and to make others more confident in using the recovery console).

I do hope a solution will eventually emerge before this (tedious) process comes to an end.

Thank you.

Edited by afiorillo

Guest afiorillo

To date we have:

73 records filed

55% of devices purchased on April, 2010 (37% on May)

44% of carrier supplied devices

48% of unbranded devices

78% of v0.75 bootloaders

15% "bricked" devices

16% had problems starting the console

27% had the console exiting by itself

21% had the console flickering

27% had the console freezing

10% did see the unwanted connection type dialog

On "bricked" population:

71% was using a non-stock cable

74% was using an USB hub

14% was on win32, 7% on win64, 3% on linux32, 1% on linux64

11% (way the most) had run 0-10 times the console before bricking, 7% 10-20 times, 3% 21-30 times

Edited by afiorillo

Guest pina
[Reserved for progress report]

thnx for your concern, effort and support since your desire is not broken :rolleyes:

Edited by pina

Guest Loccy

To my mind you are missing two key questions:

Did it boot loop before bricking?

If so, how many times?

I am convinced that this is being caused by that chunk of code that counts failed boots then appears to disable usb and SD. It all fits too well to be anything but.

Guest Snarkasm
To my mind you are missing two key questions:

Did it boot loop before bricking?

If so, how many times?

I am convinced that this is being caused by that chunk of code that counts failed boots then appears to disable usb and SD. It all fits too well to be anything but.

Many of us bootlooped many more than three times and had no issues. On my brick, I didn't even get a chance to boot loop - I failed a nandroid backup, rebooted, and was bricked.

Guest GeoTrail
OK folks, the so-called "USB brick" issue had reached such a level of concern for both affected and unaffected users that every effort we can spend in order to sort it is worth it.

So, I'm going to start a comprehensive data gathering from all Desire users out there ("bricked" and not "bricked") in order to build a database big enough to be used for some statistical find-outs; the resulting data will be shared with Paul and the folks that are trying to sort this out, obviously.

To send data in, please copy/paste the following form in a new email message, complete it and send it to [email protected]

Are you "bricked" (yes/no): 

-- All users section follows

Country of residence: 

Country of origin of the device (if known): 

Date of purchase (mm/yyyy): 

Carrier provided device (yes/no): 

Somewhat branded device (yes/no): 

Bootloader version (0.75/0.80): 

Device model (Settings->Info->Phone identity): HTC Desire _____

Kernel version (Settings->Info->Software info): 

Build number (Settings->Info->Software info): 

Software number (Settings->Info->Software info): 

Device code (find it right before "5VDC===1A Made in Taiwan" under the battery): 

Device serial number (marked as "S/N" under the battery, I'll use it as a primary key for future updates from you): 

Device part number (marked as "P/N" under the battery): 

Two-line device shell string (find it printed at the left of the camera lens, remove cover): 

Have you ever had problems starting the recovery console (i.e.: had to relaunch the batch multiple times before succeeding, please discard 'device not found' issues, yes/no): 

Have you ever seen the recovery console exit back to the black screen w/ triangle (yes/no): 

Have you ever seen the recovery console "flicker" or anything like that (yes/no): 

Have you ever seen the recovery console freezing requiring a new go (yes/no): 

Have you ever seen the "Choose connection type" dialog popup unexpected while leaving the device connected to USB (yes/no): 

-- "Bricked" only section follows

What USB cable were you using at "brick" time (stock/other): 

Were you using an USB hub at "brick" time (powered/unpowered/other/no): 

What operating system your computer was running at "brick" time (win32/win64/linux32/linux64/mac): 

How many times have you ran the recovery console before "bricking" (approx.):

I ask you to not post data in this thread as it contains sensitive informations (serial numbers, etc.). I will put data into an MS Access database and will report the gathering progress on a daily basis in the post just below this one. Once complete, we'll discuss the best way to analyze the data. Please don't ask questions through this email address, I'll use it for data gathering purposes only.

Incomplete forms will not be added to the database.

Please feel free to suggest more questions and/or to criticize this initiative if you feel so. This is an initiative of mine, is not (yet) endorsed by Paul or the forum in any way. I'm not "bricked", I'm just trying to help the developers find out a solution for the "bricked" guys (and to make others more confident in using the recovery console).

I do hope a solution will eventually emerge before this (tedious) process comes to an end.

Thank you.

I cannot see any reason why the devices SN should be provided to you, or that it would matter in anyway to solve this! Same goes for the PN.

Guest potter97
I cannot see any reason why the devices SN should be provided to you, or that it would matter in anyway to solve this! Same goes for the PN.

I suspect its because he can more easily narrow down to where it was made, in what batch it was made and what parts were used.

So i would say its pretty revelant!!

And if it were anything untoward, i would know who the send the police too afiorillo!!! lol.... but im guessing he is actually trying to HELP you bricked guys :rolleyes:

Edited by potter97

Guest GeoTrail
I suspect its because he can more easily narrow down to where it was made, in what batch it was made and what parts were used.

So i would say its pretty revelant!!

And if it were anything untoward, i would know who the send the police too afiorillo!!! lol.... but im guessing he is actually trying to HELP you bricked guys :rolleyes:

Don't need the whole SN for that. An example: HT[year][month][day]

Guest potter97
Don't need the whole SN for that. An example: HT[year][month][day]

Well whatever you not really helping, Just moaning!!.

EDIT: Have linked on XDA also, to reach more users.

Edited by potter97

Guest PaulW21781

Noticed the Google docs page doesn't ask for hboot version like the original post did... Submitted my info anyways, Paul Wollaston :rolleyes:

Guest afiorillo

The reason is the suspect that there's a point in time when HTC has updated something in the Desire hardware/firmware that prevents the suspected recovery console crash to mess up the data area responsible for the "brick".

Guest Shawe
Noticed the Google docs page doesn't ask for hboot version like the original post did... Submitted my info anyways, Paul Wollaston :rolleyes:

Added, we need mail first in do it for reply to this.

Guest PaulW21781
Added, we need mail first in do it for reply to this.

As I can't edit my entry, can you? Saves populating it more than necessary It's HBOOT 0.75.0000

And just incase it didn't record my email, [email protected]. I did write it under my name in the entry box.

Guest afiorillo
Just submitted my info, not usb-"bricked", but hope this will help.

Not "bricked" people count as "bricked" ones in this investigation: we need to estabilish a "population", so everyone counts. :rolleyes:

Guest potter97
Your poll should include Computer's USB chipset as well.

I read someware that the guide had an issue with ICH7 chipset.

But all of my computers are ICH7 based, My desktop mobo= G31M-ES2L.(Win 7 + Ubuntu 10.04) Netbook = ICH7 Dell mini 10v (Win 7 Utlimate) On a netbook crazy i know :rolleyes:) And older pentium 4 comp used as media player for Tv.

And i am NOT bricked, have had the disconnects from the recovery tho.

Edited by potter97

Guest sruon

Yes, god knows how many guides over the net relies on -not- using a specific chipset for doing anything. (Remembering VIA and USB DSL models back in the day.)

Doesn't have to be very specific, something like Nvidia, VIA, Intel etc...

Guest biebiep

I'm gonna go out on a limb here.

Everyone who's bricked might have unstable computer. (due to OC, RAM, general ignorance)

You could also run a 10hour orthos or LinX-run and see if you passed (yes, even when you don't OC, you're system might be unstable on stock settings.)