COMPLETE UN-ROOTING NEXUS.....in order to get OTA

Guest fuzio1963

Guest fuzio1963

I have read many posts, and did many tries.........we all know that Froyo ver that is out, is not a official one. In order to get Official OTA update, our phones must be in complete factory stage. Unlocked boot-loader is not an issue. Trust me, i tried many different ways to "unroot" my N1. Following many "how to's" unroot your N1, in order to get OTA (Froyo), all tries have failed. I was flashing original roms (ERD79), replaced recovery image, and then i GOT an OTA with 2.1-update1, no sweat! Then, when it tried to install, there was an error every time. I was able to install that (ER27) update manually, but it was NOT the thing i wanted to accomplish. I knew that i will be able to receive next OTA with ver 2.2 (Froyo), but i also knew that this update will NOT install either. The problem is a recovery image! After been running many different custom roms, i have decide to try again to go back to the state from the beginning, so i can be sure i can be able to install official Froyo, when it is out. I was afraid to do this, but i did it anyway.............and it was successful. I restored my Nexus to the original state (except boot-loader of course), and after i got back to ERD79, momentarily i got OTA with ver 2.1-1. But this time, it has installed with no problem!!! I am running it right now, waiting for next (2.2) OTA update.

Guest Batkoto
I have read many posts, and did many tries.........we all know that Froyo ver that is out, is not a official one. In order to get Official OTA update, our phones must be in complete factory stage. Unlocked boot-loader is not an issue. Trust me, i tried many different ways to "unroot" my N1. Following many "how to's" unroot your N1, in order to get OTA (Froyo), all tries have failed. I was flashing original roms (ERD79), replaced recovery image, and then i GOT an OTA with 2.1-update1, no sweat! Then, when it tried to install, there was an error every time. I was able to install that (ER27) update manually, but it was NOT the thing i wanted to accomplish. I knew that i will be able to receive next OTA with ver 2.2 (Froyo), but i also knew that this update will NOT install either. The problem is a recovery image! After been running many different custom roms, i have decide to try again to go back to the state from the beginning, so i can be sure i can be able to install official Froyo, when it is out. I was afraid to do this, but i did it anyway.............and it was successful. I restored my Nexus to the original state (except boot-loader of course), and after i got back to ERD79, momentarily i got OTA with ver 2.1-1. But this time, it has installed with no problem!!! I am running it right now, waiting for next (2.2) OTA update.

Nothing new....

However, all people updated manually with 2.2 will still receive OTA when official update is released. (check here: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/andr...0d13&hl=en)

So I reccon, you did a bit of waste of time restoring to stock ROM, then installing update1. (well..its your call anyway)

So you are stuck now with 2.1 update1 and waiting for official 2.2?

Edited by Batkoto

Guest fuzio1963
Nothing new....

However, all people updated manually with 2.2 will still receive OTA when official update is released.

So i reccon, you did a bit of waste of time restoring to stock ROM, then installing update1. (well..its your call anyway)

So you are stuck now with 2.1 update1 and waiting for official 2.2?

You will get the OTA all right, but you will NOT be able to install it! :rolleyes:

Edited by fuzio1963

Guest Batkoto
You will get the OTA all right, but you will NOT be able to install it! :D

Wrong: If you have the unofficial/official leaked OTA update 2.2 last weekend installed you will still be able to install the official once released.

If you have custom recovery, then this is different story.

Put 2.2 as of now and enjoy it, once the update is out you will get a link for manual update earlier than waiting for OTA notification :rolleyes:

Edited by Batkoto

Guest crimz

Would you like to share with us which method you used to achieve this ?

Edited by crimz

Guest fuzio1963

Just go there and grab Google OEM file (PASSIMG.zip). Put it on your SD card (root dir).

Then restart your phone into boot-loader (trackball+power button).

Once there, top power button again. It will look for passimg file as always. It will load the passimg file. Note the blue status bar at right-upper corner of your screen.

Then, it will check that file, and finally you will see "do you want to start update?"

Press Volume UP, for YES............and wait.

After phone reboots - you are done! Completely back to stock!

Then you can go to "menu-settings-about-system updates" and you should see that your phone is already downloading update 2.1-1.

That is it.

If for some reason you end up with android screen with triangle and exclamation mark, just press VOL up and Power, at the same time, you will get into recovery screen, and reboot your phone from there.

Guest fuzio1963

One more thing...........i did that in my own risk :(

So, please do not blame me, if something would happen to you Nexus (phone just exploded, or something.... :( )

Guest Deathwish238

I don't think I get what you're trying to achieve. Great, you want to get OTA. But why?

Just download whatever rooted release you want to your phone and flash it...

Guest AndrewTan

Yalo, so funny why people doing back to stock just for the OTA? Why?

It is waste your time, no point doing this, if you plan doing this, then don't root and try custom rom at 1st stage.

Weird thinking.

Edited by AndrewTan

Guest Raviff

well, he does get to wait a lot more to try Froyo though, so he did achieve something lol

and once is out, he'll be able to install it... wait a couple hours for Paul to do his version with cool features, and install it over! lol :(

Guest fuzio1963
well, he does get to wait a lot more to try Froyo though, so he did achieve something lol

and once is out, he'll be able to install it... wait a couple hours for Paul to do his version with cool features, and install it over! lol :(

yeah, true! I really appreciate Paul's hard work, (respect-Paul), but didn't you noticed that all custom roms have alot of issues?? People are getting problems with this and that - look at the forum - there is always something "not working" the way it should. :(

And then, after few weeks, roms are left not finished. Desire Rom for example - kernel was out couple weeks ago, but BT and few other things, have never been fixed!

And this, unofficial Froyo; way too many issues. So i decided to get back to stock, and wait till i get OTA with Froyo, or maybe some cooks will come up with really working staff.

Yet, i found many posts with question how to get back to stock, so i just wrote what i did. There is no reason to make fun of it.

Edited by fuzio1963

Guest bobmaniac
yeah, true! I really appreciate Paul's hard work, (respect-Paul), but didn't you noticed that all custom roms have alot of issues?? People are getting problems with this and that - look at the forum - there is always something "not working" the way it should. :(

And then, after few weeks, roms are left not finished. Desire Rom for example - kernel was out couple weeks ago, but BT and few other things, have never been fixed!

And this, unofficial Froyo; way too many issues. So i decided to get back to stock, and wait till i get OTA with Froyo, or maybe some cooks will come up with really working staff.

Yet, i found many posts with question how to get back to stock, so i just wrote what i did. There is no reason to make fun of it.

i got froyo on mines and like i haven't had like ANY issues...fastest rom ever...best battery life...well okay i had those app issues but most of the apps have been updated to work now...just sayin...ya missin out...