Random reboots on stock/official carrier ROM(s) - symptoms exactly like with BETA 2.1 ROMs!!!

Guest Koo-san

Guest Sl4yer
Interesting feedback there zerosignull. I did try the MCR 1.7 (both Vanilla and Pulse versions) but I still got the same problem (so which 1.7 did you use Sl4yer?) :( ...

Vanilla. No problems at all with it in several months. :(

Guest cagster

I have had the same random re-boot issues.

I have had the pulse for 3 months. Worked fine for 6 weeks on stock dec rom. Then had 'couldnt boot up at all problems' - so after trying factory rests and nand backups moved to use custom rom 1.7 with A2SD+. This worked fine was rock solid for 4 weeks.

Then for the first time last week I started to get this random reboot problem. I have not installed any new apps recently (i have worked out what i like and have all the apps i want installed and working for now) also there is plenty of internal storage free 76MB).

I have had the reboot issue 4 or 5 times and I cannot see any pattern with regards to the applications being run. First time this happened I had just pressed the red button having finished a call. Second time I was run a sat nav app in the car and after about about 30 mins it rebooted. Today I was using the TV guide app and it rebooted - i tried the app again after reboot and it did the same - went back to work and tried it an hour later and its been fine.

What I have noticed is that the phone has been very warm on a couple of occasions - so I suspose it could be a hardware problem.

I am wondering whether this will now be a semi permanent problem (and if so I will have to go through several rounds and months of returning it to tmobile) or whether there is a solution to fix this.

I have just now done a repair to the ext partion using the RA recovery module (as well as doing the package UID repair (sorry I forget the correct name for it) as I couldnt do a market update.

I suppose next i can try a wipe and nand restore.

To try and see if we can get to the bottom of this I wonder if we could perharps ask everyone who has had this problem on a stable rom a set of questions to see if there is anything information we can gleam - such as

1. What country was your phone purchased from ?

2. How old is it/was it when you first started getting the problem ?

3. What rom version was you using ?

4. What app(s) were running (that you know of) when it crashed ?

5. Was the device abnormally warm/hot ?

6. How often do these reboots occur ?

7. Has anyone found that the problem has been solved or disappeared (who still has the same phone :-) ?

Edited by cagster

Guest axino

been lurking for a while, first post :(

My Pulse also has this problem, it's currently in for repair for the second time.

I told them when I sent it in for the first repair, that it was probably a hardware problem, as i had re-applied the Dec update and it didn't fix it.

It took them three weeks to reflash the Dec update again. The phone rebooted the first time I started it up. :(

I'm still waiting for the second repair to come back. They've had it nearly 4 weeks. The repair status is 'awaiting component'. I'm hoping that means I'm getting a replacement phone.

---

1. What country was your phone purchased from

UK

Bought early DEC, problems started in March

1.7 Pulse (I kept it on stock until I had a boot loop). It crashes on all roms I've tried

Reboots in android market, video player, robo defense etc etc.

Not especially

It's got worse - from once or twice a day at the start, to every few minutes now.

Guest Accounts

Hey there, an update. I just got my new battery finally and now in the process of testing it. No reboots so far, fingers crossed :(

Guest cagster
been lurking for a while, first post :(

My Pulse also has this problem, it's currently in for repair for the second time.

I told them when I sent it in for the first repair, that it was probably a hardware problem, as i had re-applied the Dec update and it didn't fix it.

It took them three weeks to reflash the Dec update again. The phone rebooted the first time I started it up. :(

I'm still waiting for the second repair to come back. They've had it nearly 4 weeks. The repair status is 'awaiting component'. I'm hoping that means I'm getting a replacement phone.

---

1. What country was your phone purchased from

UK

Bought early DEC, problems started in March

1.7 Pulse (I kept it on stock until I had a boot loop). It crashes on all roms I've tried

Reboots in android market, video player, robo defense etc etc.

Not especially

It's got worse - from once or twice a day at the start, to every few minutes now.

I wish you the best of luck - please keep us posted.

Guest cagster
Hey there, an update. I just got my new battery finally and now in the process of testing it. No reboots so far, fingers crossed :(

Hope it is just the battery - please let us know

Also how often were the reboots occuring ? and also - where did you get the replacement from and what was the cost ?

Guest Koo-san
1. What country was your phone purchased from ?

7. Has anyone found that the problem has been solved or disappeared (who still has the same phone :-) ?

1. UK

2. Bought in January, problems started in May

3. Stock T-Mobile UK December update (never run any Custom ROM)

4. YouTube, Market, eBuddy, BBC News, Facebook, Weather Widget, answering/ending calls

5. I have noticed the phone is warm when it occurs, and the warmer it is the more vigorous/frequent the reboots

6. No set frequency of how often reboots occur

7. From when I started this topic, from what I read and have gathered, once you start getting this problem it only remains or gets worse (even for people who have sent theirs in for repairs have never got the problem solved)

I like Accounts also believe it could be a battery related problem too (in that the battery due to "wear and tear" is giving inconsistent power loads to the phone - especially under 3G data usage (when the radio is probably sucking more juice) and causes the phone to reboot - as I find it is common that most people state it is much more stable when using WiFi). However, I must admit I have experienced a reboot even running off AC Mains power WITHOUT any battery in the phone.

May I also add that when the phone starts to get warm and then when I get a reboot I will pull the battery out and let everything cool down (until the battery is no longer warm to touch), before then booting the phone back up. Otherwise if I let the phone reboot and then try to perform ANY action (e.g. even just bring up the dialler or call log) the phone instantly reboots (I get into a constant reboot cycle!). So there's definitely a link between the battery being warm and the occurrence of the reboots.

Let's hope Accounts new battery tests prove to be a real solution - as I'm pretty sure it's some hardware problem (given it happens on ANY ROM, and never really goes away).

...and yeah, I'd also like to know the details of pricing/sources for a genuine (not 3rd party/OEM replacement) Huawei HB4F1 replacment (I know the well known auction site does have listings...but wondering if any other outlets stock it).

Edited by Koo-san

Guest Genesis^

My first post.

1. UK

2. I have no clue, bought it second hand :/ Problem started as soon as i installed the custom ROM.

3. 2.1 ROM r6 Update 8.

4. Literally Anything. nothing Specific.

5. I dont think so :/

6. My Reboots are VERY violent... constantly. Like in the past 5 mins, it must have rebooted at least 3 times.

7. For some reason it is just a little less often when i am outside.

Please, if anyone has a fix for this problem it would be VERY appreciated. Its not too nice having your phone reboot during a phone call or when you are replying to a text. :/

Guest ZeBadger

I've just gone back to the stock Hungarian 2.1 rom and I'm still getting reboots.

1. UK

2. 2 Months

3. 2.1

4. I think it was when connecting to internet. I didn't get any reboots the first night I used the R6 vanilla, when I hadn't set up the 3 apn

5. Don't think so.

6. Usually when connecting to internet (but not when using wifi)

7. Dunno.

Not 100% on when it crashes really... could just be random :/

Edited by ZeBadger

Guest keithface

got my pulse on tuesday past, immediately updated to 2.1 stock hungarian and have constant hangs and reboots. main problem is the boilling hot back of phoen, and a constant for me is using the google navigation program.

1. UK

2. less than 1 week / installed 2.1. straight away

3. 2.1

4. google navigation

5. boiling hot

6. hangs all the time - have to remove battery if it doesn't reboot

7. no

Guest cagster
got my pulse on tuesday past, immediately updated to 2.1 stock hungarian and have constant hangs and reboots. main problem is the boilling hot back of phoen, and a constant for me is using the google navigation program.

1. UK

2. less than 1 week / installed 2.1. straight away

3. 2.1

4. google navigation

5. boiling hot

6. hangs all the time - have to remove battery if it doesn't reboot

7. no

I am not an expert - but I would suspect that 2.1 is still not rock solid stable. I agree with others in that i dont think that the problem some people get is anything to do with the rom - i suspsect that there is a problem with the phone or battery.

In the case of people runnning 2.1 with constant rboots - maybe try the 1.7 ROM which is very reliable and see if the reboots decrease. I would also use the RA recovery and do a EXT repair is you are storing programs on the SD card. Best of luck and keep us all updated.

Guest ZeBadger
I am not an expert - but I would suspect that 2.1 is still not rock solid stable. I agree with others in that i dont think that the problem some people get is anything to do with the rom - i suspsect that there is a problem with the phone or battery.

Why would the problems only start happening when we upgrade to 2.1?

In the case of people runnning 2.1 with constant rboots - maybe try the 1.7 ROM which is very reliable and see if the reboots decrease. I would also use the RA recovery and do a EXT repair is you are storing programs on the SD card. Best of luck and keep us all updated.

Can we go from 2.1 to 1.7? I'm willing to give it a whirl!

Guest cagster
Why would the problems only start happening when we upgrade to 2.1.

REPLY - The general opinion seems to be that as yet the low memory available with the Pulse is a problem when using 2.1 roms.

Can we go from 2.1 to 1.7? I'm willing to give it a whirl!

REPLY - Please see

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...ere-a-way-back/. Also if you use A2SD (as I do) - i recommemd that you use the option to repair the EXT partion on the SD card - as problems with the SD card will cause reboots

Edited by cagster

Guest Koo-san
REPLY - The general opinion seems to be that as yet the low memory available with the Pulse is a problem when using 2.1 roms.

REPLY - Please see

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...ere-a-way-back/. Also if you use A2SD (as I do) - i recommemd that you use the option to repair the EXT partion on the SD card - as problems with the SD card will cause reboots

...correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought if you were on the actual OFFICIAL 2.1 ROM (either Hungarian or the Swiss one), then you CANNOT go back to 1.5, as the update changes the partitioning & kernel of the phone (or can it be done by manually changing the kernel images in the old 1.5 custom ROMs - which is the URL you refer to Cagster. If so, have you done this yourself - just wondering how the partitioning affects the running of even a 1.5 ROM - as obviously 1.5 is running under different conditions to what it would have been designed to originally)?

Of course, if you are only on a 2.1 ROM based on the Beta "leak" then it's a simple thing (either nandroid restore of flash the 1.5 ROM of your choice), as your phone's partition and kernel are still the same as before. :)

Edited by Koo-san

Guest ZeBadger
...anyway, just to be sure, I've now put my Pulse on both the MCR 1.7 (not 1.8 beta - just to be sure I'm testing a ROM we know is 100% stable) Pulse and Vanilla ROMs posted by Paul back in February. The results are not surprisingly the same as the psionandy - still randomly reboots as I described...

...SO: I definitely think it's a HARDWARE not a SOFTWARE problem now!!!

I'm pretty sure that the firmware has been updated at some point, which I haven't found a way of rolling back. See my post. So I'm guessing a firmware problem, not hardware.

Guest cagster
...correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought if you were on the actual OFFICIAL 2.1 ROM (either Hungarian or the Swiss one), then you CANNOT go back to 1.5, as the update changes the partitioning & kernel of the phone (or can it be done by manually changing the kernel images in the old 1.5 custom ROMs - which is the URL you refer to Cagster. If so, have you done this yourself - just wondering how the partitioning affects the running of even a 1.5 ROM - as obviously 1.5 is running under different conditions to what it would have been designed to originally)?

Of course, if you are only on a 2.1 ROM based on the Beta "leak" then it's a simple thing (either nandroid restore of flash the 1.5 ROM of your choice), as your phone's partition and kernel are still the same as before. :)

Sorry I have not done this before - so Im not sure.

Guest cagster
5. I have noticed the phone is warm when it occurs, and the warmer it is the more vigorous/frequent the reboots

I like Accounts also believe it could be a battery related problem too (in that the battery due to "wear and tear" is giving inconsistent power loads to the phone - especially under 3G data usage (when the radio is probably sucking more juice) and causes the phone to reboot - as I find it is common that most people state it is much more stable when using WiFi). However, I must admit I have experienced a reboot even running off AC Mains power WITHOUT any battery in the phone.

May I also add that when the phone starts to get warm and then when I get a reboot I will pull the battery out and let everything cool down (until the battery is no longer warm to touch), before then booting the phone back up. Otherwise if I let the phone reboot and then try to perform ANY action (e.g. even just bring up the dialler or call log) the phone instantly reboots (I get into a constant reboot cycle!). So there's definitely a link between the battery being warm and the occurrence of the reboots.

I found the same - the back of the phone gets very warm - warmmer than it should. Trying to use it whilst this warm/hot results in instant reboots. Id be suprised if any firmware could cause this.

All I can say is that when I ran the repair SD EXT that it did indeed find errors and correct them - now I dont know if these were present and was the cause of the problems OR whether the forced reboot caused the errors on the EXT partion.

All i can say is that I havent had a reboot since doing the EXT repair - I am not saying this has fixed the problem - if i was to guess i would say it wont have. I havent used the phone a great deal the last few days so I will have to see how things go over the next week so so. Will post up my findings.

Interested to know if Accounts new battery has helped ? Also if its an original where did you purchase it from and what was the cost ? :)

Edited by cagster

Guest Koo-san
Update:

My repair has changed status to 'connector resoldering'.

This means it is a hardware issue.

Thanks for the kind update axino. So I notice your 2ND repair of your Pulse went from status "Awaiting Component" to "Connector Resoldering" - I wonder if this means they are doing some sort of hardware modification (i.e. they waited for a part, and are now adding this to the phone).

Be very very interested to see (if you do get back your ORIGINAL Pulse - i.e. not a replacement) whether the "Connector Resoldering" finally resolves this reboot problem. Anyway, it definitely seems to indicate a HARDWARE problem - and going back to Accounts and my thinking, maybe this "Connector Resoldering" is either to stop the phone drawing too much current from the battery or to allow it to handle too much current without rebooting. If so then this hardware modification would surely make sense (and you could continue using a "dying" battery without any reboots - rather than if you bought a new battery which would solve the problem until that battery begins to "die" - so this would be a proper solution)!.

axino, please let us all know what happens when you get your phone back - this development is definitely interesting, and I'm sure others here would require the same "fix" if yours is successful! :)

Guest psionandy
I found the same - the back of the phone gets very warm - warmmer than it should. Trying to use it whilst this warm/hot results in instant reboots. Id be suprised if any firmware could cause this.

All I can say is that when I ran the repair SD EXT that it did indeed find errors and correct them - now I dont know if these were present and was the cause of the problems OR whether the forced reboot caused the errors on the EXT partion.

All i can say is that I havent had a reboot since doing the EXT repair - I am not saying this has fixed the problem - if i was to guess i would say it wont have. I havent used the phone a great deal the last few days so I will have to see how things go over the next week so so. Will post up my findings.

Interested to know if Accounts new battery has helped ? Also if its an original where did you purchase it from and what was the cost ? :)

Just as a further piece of information.. in an attempt to get to the bottom of the problem before i sent mine in for warranty I was runing stock 1.5 (december) with NO sd card inserted in the phone. Still had the problem of resets

Guest cagster
Just as a further piece of information.. in an attempt to get to the bottom of the problem before i sent mine in for warranty I was runing stock 1.5 (december) with NO sd card inserted in the phone. Still had the problem of resets

Thanks - the more info we get the better. If we share this info - then hopefully in the future when phones are returned we can print or refer to info on here and try and direct the "repairs" to fix the problem - rather than merely reflashing the phone.

Guest shran

1. UK

2. since moving to any 2.1 rom

3. had stock t-mob with dec update, all was ok before updates

4. any data apps, maps, market

5. yes, and like other users the hotter the more frequent the reboot until it just locked in a reboot loop

6. yesterday, after first one i couldn;t use the phone for an hour. pulled out battery in end

7. still not working for me

i'm a first time poster too guys

agree that the battery is causing the reboots but still unsure why its getting so hot

i was gonna send my back to t-mob but i live in dublin so i'd have to head across the border to do it

i will if its a fixable problem but i feel its software related as when i was using the orig t-mob android ver it was all ok

its still a test phone for me as i want to replace my windows phone but i can't trust it yet for work use

i don;t want to go down the iphone route, hoping this can be fixed as its a great device when it works!!

Guest ZeBadger

My reboots are less frequent when I use the Hungarian T-mobile stock 2.1 rom.

My reboots are very frequent on the MCR r7 WIP 2.1 rom.

I'm really not thinking it's hardware related.

Edited by ZeBadger

Guest DanWilson
My reboots are less frequent when I use the Hungarian T-mobile stock 2.1 rom.

My reboots are very frequent on the MCR r7 WIP 2.1 rom.

I'm really not thinking it's hardware related.

Very quickly, cos I need to go, I think maybe the thing is the temperature sensor is being tripped by the heat of the battery, which maybe could be caused by bad power management? Like 100% CPU usage, GPS, mobile network, bluetooth, wifi - they'll all heat the phone up is their always on.

I'm really thinking it's the softwares fault, but its also hardware related.

:)

(Although I've had 0 reboots since the official ROM and the Oscillation ROM..)

Edited by DanWilson

Guest ZeBadger
Very quickly, cos I need to go, I think maybe the thing is the temperature sensor is being tripped by the heat of the battery, which maybe could be caused by bad power management? Like 100% CPU usage, GPS, mobile network, bluetooth, wifi - they'll all heat the phone up is their always on.

I'm really thinking it's the softwares fault, but its also hardware related.

:)

(Although I've had 0 reboots since the official ROM and the Oscillation ROM..)

Is there a way running a "top" type command and dumping to a log every second? I'm pretty sure I could reproduce the fault quickly (c:geo is perfect for this, although it never rebooted on 1.5)