Random reboots on stock/official carrier ROM(s) - symptoms exactly like with BETA 2.1 ROMs!!!

Guest Koo-san

Guest ZeBadger

Question for you guys that have the 2.1 rom rebooting problems... did you install Superboot 1.5 at anytime afterwards?

I've just re-installed the Hungarian Stock 2.1 ROM (without the extra update).

Then only installed AmonRa Recovery.

Then I installed one of the other ROMs.

I had a few FCs and 1 reboot last night, but nothing since.

I installed Just the Hungarian Stock 2.1 ROM, but then didn't put anything else on and she's had no reboots since.

I think my (and her) problems have been caused by flashing Superboot 1.5

Edit:

Maybe I spoke to soon. I've just installed Pulse 2.1: Oscillation ROM R7, Vanilla ROM - RMB/Switz/T-Mob/Sunrise 2.1 but it's rebooting a lot. I wiped the lot and it came up to the "Tap me to begin" screen and then rebooted before I even had chance to type anything :)

Edit2:

Okay... I rebooted into the AmonRa recovery, went into Wipe and wiped 1) Rotate settings 2) battery stats, 3) Dalvik Cache 4) Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

Rebooted and it's not crashed yet... just synced my mail and my 5 calendars. Fingers crossed! Crazy how it can be so temperamental... also crazy how other people do not have these problems at all :)

Edited by ZeBadger

Guest Koo-san

Edit2:

Okay... I rebooted into the AmonRa recovery, went into Wipe and wiped 1) Rotate settings 2) battery stats, 3) Dalvik Cache 4) Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

Rebooted and it's not crashed yet... just synced my mail and my 5 calendars. Fingers crossed! Crazy how it can be so temperamental... also crazy how other people do not have these problems at all :)

Thanks for the continual feedback ZeBadger. I've never run any 2.1 ROM (official, leak or otherwise) - but originally I started this thread because I was experiencing very similar reboot problems as people who used the 2.1 beta leak custom ROMs, as well as latterly the "official" Hungarian 2.1 update. So I think the issue is we should distinguish between:

a) unstable ROMs - either Hungarian or Swiss 2.1 update or any other custom ROMs derived from them (due to even the "official" Hungarian update being possibly a Beta release - hence "test keys" in the signature of that ROM, nevermind all the custom ROMs built upon this and/or from the leak that BigBearMDC kindly shared)

b ) official ROMs (even stock T-Mobile phones which have never had any other ROM, custom or otherwise) whereby we are getting the reboot problem

In my case (I know I reiterate), it was case B (never had any custom ROMs - only Dec update) when I started getting the reboots and then FCs on what is supposed to be official rock-solid ROM. So I started this topic to see if the reboots is indeed a hardware issue - which I still believe. However case A does confuses matters - as you never know if it's the ROM or hardware if you are running such ROMs. But in my case, as I am running the Dec update only then I can isolate it to some hardware rather then software problem (I think!).

Anyway - how do you wipe "1) Rotate settings" (not even sure what those setttings are tbh) and "2) battery stats" in AmonRA Recovery - I don't see those options (I do see wipe dalvik-cache option [but never works for me], as well as seeing wipe data/factory reset option). I'm particularly interested in wiping battery stats - as myself and Accounts are looking at a power management issue or temperature sensor issue related to the battery (causing the reboots) - so maybe resetting the battery somehow might help my case!!!

Edited by Koo-san

Guest axino
Be very very interested to see (if you do get back your ORIGINAL Pulse - i.e. not a replacement) whether the "Connector Resoldering" finally resolves this reboot problem.

My repair status is now 'ready for shipping', so I should get my phone back soon.

Except it's not my original phone - the in/out imei and serial numbers are different. So I'm getting a new or reconditioned phone.

Does this mean that the 'connector resoldering' repair failed? I don't know.

All I can say is that I was convinced my phone had a hardware problem, and by replacing it, T-Mobile seem to agree.

Guest Swiftes
My repair status is now 'ready for shipping', so I should get my phone back soon.

Except it's not my original phone - the in/out imei and serial numbers are different. So I'm getting a new or reconditioned phone.

All I can say is that I was convinced my phone had a hardware problem, and by replacing it, T-Mobile seem to agree.

Exactly the same for me, sent my phone in for calling/texting issues, getting a whole new phone backs by the look of it, I had it last time when the phone refused to boot!

Guest ZeBadger
Anyway - how do you wipe "1) Rotate settings" (not even sure what those setttings are tbh) and "2) battery stats" in AmonRA Recovery - I don't see those options (I do see wipe dalvik-cache option [but never works for me], as well as seeing wipe data/factory reset option). I'm particularly interested in wiping battery stats - as myself and Accounts are looking at a power management issue or temperature sensor issue related to the battery (causing the reboots) - so maybe resetting the battery somehow might help my case!!!

Do you have the latest version? Check out the options in the feature list under Wipe on the link for Amon RA 1.5.2

Guest cagster
So I think the issue is we should distinguish between:

a) unstable ROMs - either Hungarian or Swiss 2.1 update or any other custom ROMs derived from them (due to even the "official" Hungarian update being possibly a Beta release - hence "test keys" in the signature of that ROM, nevermind all the custom ROMs built upon this and/or from the leak that BigBearMDC kindly shared)

b ) official ROMs (even stock T-Mobile phones which have never had any other ROM, custom or otherwise) whereby we are getting the reboot problem

Agree with you about difference between unstable 2.1 roms vs stable roms - and I entirely take your point. However i think many people would say that 1.5 dec stock rom is not at all rock solid as you get to the point where it eventually it will not reboot (and thats nothing to do with too many apps - low memory etc) and get stuck in non-reboot cycle which is a reason why some and I suspect many (like me) moved to Pauls custom 1.5 version ROMS - v1.7 being much more reliable and quicker than the stock rom.

Edited by cagster

Guest Manson666

I had my U8220 with T-Mobile Hungary 2.1 update and flash the Pulse 2.1 Lite ROM V2, no reboots.

After I enabled JIT with mcr_jit.zip, I got reboots frequently.

By changing two values in /system/build.prop and reboot the phone, everything works perfectly, no more reboots.

ro.config.hw_lowbattery_charge=1 to 0

ro.config.hw_temperature_warn=true to false

It works for me and my friend.

Guest ZeBadger
By changing two values in /system/build.prop and reboot the phone, everything works perfectly, no more reboots.

ro.config.hw_lowbattery_charge=1 to 0

ro.config.hw_temperature_warn=true to false

It works for me and my friend.

How do you edit the file? I've tried with Astro but I don't have permissions to save. Is there a way of running Astro as root?

Guest ZeBadger
How do you edit the file? I've tried with Astro but I don't have permissions to save. Is there a way of running Astro as root?

Okay worked it out. Need USB debugging on... usb cable and 'adb-????? shell'

Merci... will see if it helps!

Guest psionandy

If they replaced the main board, but kept the screen, panel etc then the IMEI and serial number will be different. Thats what they did with mine anyway.

Guest Koo-san
If they replaced the main board, but kept the screen, panel etc then the IMEI and serial number will be different. Thats what they did with mine anyway.

Hey psionandy so is it now fixed (I know this is the 2nd time you sent it in for repair) with the new motherboard? Be interested to see more feedback from you. :)

Guest psionandy
Hey psionandy so is it now fixed (I know this is the 2nd time you sent it in for repair) with the new motherboard? Be interested to see more feedback from you. :)

I think it is... the first time it came back from repair it rebooted within the first 5 minutes, so it went straight back.

Its now survived 24 hours but i really haven't used it much. I'm 90% sure its fixed and will confirm it after i've given it a decent work out.

Guest axino

Well, that would explain the component they were waiting for. I guess I'll find out on the return form.

Guest psionandy
Well, that would explain the component they were waiting for. I guess I'll find out on the return form.

Having given my pulse a fair workout for the last week I think the problem is fixed... there must be 'something' on the mainboard that fails. I have no idea what it is, what causes it, or what can be done to mitigate against it.

Guest Koo-san
Having given my pulse a fair workout for the last week I think the problem is fixed... there must be 'something' on the mainboard that fails. I have no idea what it is, what causes it, or what can be done to mitigate against it.

Thanks for the update psionandy. In this case, guess I'll have to start looking for a replacement phone (most likely HTC Desire or Nexus One now i have the Android bug!) - because I don't think I can get Huawei to fix it without T-Mobile (UK) being my middleman...

...but still waiting to hear from Accounts and whether a new battery helps either alleviate or resolve the problem too!

Guest axino

It's probably cheaper to replace the entire mainboard than to diagnose and replace the problem part.

Got my pulse back, with a replacement mainboard. I was going to keep it on 1.5 for a few weeks, but in the end I couldn't resist the lure of 2.1.

No problems whatsoever.

Guest cagster

Hi I am going to send mine off as its getting worse. I have couple of questions:-

1. Is it still ok - have you had any reboots ?

2. When you sent the phone in for repair the first time did they replace the motherboard or just reflash it ?

3. Do you know if the new motherboard means the phone is unlocked (i paid to get a code to unlock and am not sure if i will have to do so again - is it still tied to T-MOBILE) ?

4. What is the process to get it sent off - do I it back to t-mobile or do I send it off in the post myself with a letter explaining the problem?

5. How long did it take ?

Appreciate anyone who has had this repair done who can helping me with the above.

Thanks

Edited by cagster

Guest axino
Hi I am going to send mine off as its getting worse. I have couple of questions:-

1. Is it still ok - have you had any reboots ?

2. When you sent the phone in for repair the first time did they replace the motherboard or just reflash it ?

3. Do you know if the new motherboard means the phone is unlocked (i paid to get a code to unlock and am not sure if i will have to do so again - is it still tied to T-MOBILE) ?

4. What is the process to get it sent off - do I it back to t-mobile or do I send it off in the post myself with a letter explaining the problem?

5. How long did it take ?

Appreciate anyone who has had this repair done who can helping me with the above.

Thanks

1. Not one reboot. Current total time since boot 75 hours ;)

2. First time was reflash only.

3. Mine was locked before, and is still locked. I wouldn't draw attention to it being unlocked, they might say that invalidates the warranty.

4. I'd take it into your nearest store. They will ask for a description of the problem.

I think they also need the phone number of the sim that came with the phone for their records.

I didn't have it with me, so they had to phone head office with the IMEI number to get it.

5. Three weeks for the first 'repair', a month for the second. This may depend on availability of spare motherboards.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peter2009

Had the same problems like you all. I went to a t-mob store and explained my problems and they told me, that it could be a Ram-issue. By the way it was not problem to change my broken Pulse to a, I think, refurbished one...Hope i can fetch it today...and I willl see if it is ok.

Edited by peter2009

Guest Koo-san
Had the same problems like you all. I went to a t-mob store and explained my problems and they told me, that it could be a Ram-issue. By the way it was not problem to change my broken Pulse to a, I think, refurbished one...Hope i can fetch it today...and I willl see if it is ok.

Haha - a RAM issue? ...to be honest I dont see how that could be the case - as I had a rock solid phone for the first 3/4mths of usage on the original (not even Dec T-Mobile UK update ROM). I then put the Dec update on and started getting these problems - and ever since then it's been a vicious cycle which gets worse (many users with same problem report this downward spiral of the phone getting worse)...maybe coincidence I don't know, but all I know is ever since it started EVERY ROM I have tried I cannot get anything stable anymore (and is getting worse and worse as time goes by - practically unusable now as always reboots so often!)

...so either the official December Update released by Huawei/T-Mobile corrupted my phone and/or (as you were told by T-Mobile) T-Mobile/Huawei are selling goods "unfit for purpose" - i.e. dodgy or dying RAM in the phone. If this is the case I'm sure we have a good case of getting it fixed and/or a replacement - as under UK consumer law a mobile phone would surely be expected to last over a year (and mine is just over 6mths old!).

...thinking about it - the two users here who had their "main board" replaced does reconcile with the view that phones experiencing these reboot problems have dodgy RAM - as I would think it be pretty hard to extract and put in new RAM onto the phone, so replacing the whole main board with the RAM is so much easier (and hence they had new IMEI and Serial numbers on their fixed phones)!!! Hmm, also explains the INCONSISTENCY of the patterns of the reboots and also the FORCE CLOSEs I get on the phone too!!!

Anyway, thanks for your info - I might go to Huawei service centre over here with this info and see what they say (as not in UK now to take the phone back to T-Mobile).

P.S. If I were you, I'd demand a full replacement phone, or the "main board" replacement fix (esp. if only a couple months old, as even flashing ROMs shouldn't damage the RAM, or even ROM, memory - at least permanently anyway!!!). Good Luck!!! :lol:

Edit: Mis-read your post - so you say you're getting a replacement phone? Let me know how you get on [please :D ]. Thanks.

Edited by Koo-san

Guest makmo1

Mine now suffers with this. Constant reboots. Normally when using 3g, or 'heavy load'. I guess it is overheating. When it was in the sun over the weekend it kept rebooting, sometimes half way through the boot sequence. After I let it cool down, it stayed on for a longer period, until it started rebooting again.

I was in 2.1, then reinstalled 1.5 and december update, same problems, so must be hardware.

T-mobile are sending me a bag to return it in. Quite annoyed at it really, but hopefully they will do a proper fix and not just tape over the problem.

Guest Koo-san
Mine now suffers with this. Constant reboots. Normally when using 3g, or 'heavy load'. I guess it is overheating. When it was in the sun over the weekend it kept rebooting, sometimes half way through the boot sequence. After I let it cool down, it stayed on for a longer period, until it started rebooting again.

I was in 2.1, then reinstalled 1.5 and december update, same problems, so must be hardware.

T-mobile are sending me a bag to return it in. Quite annoyed at it really, but hopefully they will do a proper fix and not just tape over the problem.

I agree- i find when it's really hot outside in the sunshine my phone reboots more often too. For me at the moment, I have to pull battery out amd let everything cool down for at least 10minutes and only then will the phone start at all. But as soon as I use any app which needs data it reboots instantly, and on long calls when phone gets hot it will reboot too. If I leave phone then it doesnt reboot.

I have been reading even Nexus One had similar problems after peter2009 kindly told us T-Mobile think it's RAM problem (I thought it's hardware not software failure in our case). HTC in Nexus One case quickly replace the phones. Basically from what I read, Android OS is designed/configured to run on a certain amount of RAM (usually not all of what is available on the phone, as uses some for swap memory). If we run apps (or a lot of apps) which use data then we are overloading the RAM until the limit is reached - so the phone then crashes. Android is designed so that when phone reboots after crash it tries to recover all the apps running as well as the OS - so causing the phone to crash again - and so we get a reboot loop! Usually only way to solve is pull out battery and wait until all the power is drained out so the bootloader then resets and only runs the OS (so doesnt crash/reboot). So if we have bad RAM we have less RAM available to use then what the phone and the OS was designed for - so the reboots!

...so yeah maybe Pulse like Nexus One suffers from bad RAM hardware!!! ...at least, I [think I] know the hardware fault now!!! :lol:

Guest ZeBadger

Did the problems start when you installed 2.1? Mine did. I've returned to 1.5 and I'm still getting reboots. I think it's to do with me having a SmartSim in when I flashed it. My girlfriend's phone is fine and she doesn't use a SmartSIM :lol:

Guest craigb244

hi guys. had my pulse a couple of weeks and mine started rebooting within a week. it happens when its warm. running satnav makes in reboot within seconds in the car.

i put my phone in the fridge with satnav running and it worked perfectly. rebooted after about 3 mins once out the fridge.

t-mobile have sent me a bag to send it back. i asked for a replacement and they said no(i argued and they even asked the manager if they could swap it)...but they did say that it was a hardware fault (must be recognised now)

it could easily be a ram issue. had similar problems on pcs with faulty ram stick.

it would run fine until you open enough programs to reach the dodgy ram space.