Creating a link for a file on desktop

Guest coercri

Guest coercri

I have a .xls file that I read with the Documents To Go app, but to load it I have to load the app first then find the .xls file on my SD card.

Is there anyway to create a shortcut to the .xls file on the desktop so I don't have to load the app first, as you can in Windows?

Many thanks.

Edited by coercri

Guest craigcrawford1988
I have a .xls file that I read with the Documents To Go app, but to load it I have to load the app first then find the .xls file on my SD card.

Is there anyway to create a shortcut to the .xls file on the desktop so I don't have to load the app first, as you can in Windows?

Many thanks.

I believe the apps usually make this request. Like when you click the home button with multiple launchers installed.

Guest coercri
I believe the apps usually make this request. Like when you click the home button with multiple launchers installed.

But this doesn't help getting the .xls datafile icon on the homescreen - I can put the app's icon on there but I still have to load the datafile when the app's loaded.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest mickey megabyte
The "File Jump" app on the market provides this functionality directly.

i'm trying to do a similar thing to the OP.

there's a file i access a lot on my blade, and i would like to have a shortcut on my desktop (or homescreen whatever it's called) straight to that file, rather than having to use a file explorer and navigating a few folders deep to find it - i just want to see a shortcut there on my desktop, that i can 'click' to quickly open up my file, just like with windows.

i tried the 'file jump' app, buying it off the market, but couldn't work out how to make a 'desktop' shortcut in my trial fifteen minutes, so uninstalled it and emailed the developer for help. so far, i've had no reply from him.

i've also tried the 'any cut' app, but again couldn't work out which activity i was meant to be using for this shortcut creation.

i'm not dumb (honest!) - i like to consider myself a pretty experienced computer user, but i'm quite new to android, and this has got me stumped. ;)

i find it hard to believe that there is not a simple way of doing this!

can anyone please help? preferably using some free software :P

i'm using launcherpro with cm7, if that makes any difference. thanks in advance.

Guest mickey megabyte

okay, in case anybody finds this thread wondering how to do the same seemingly simple thing, i eventually found out how to do it, using astro file manager.

long click on the homescreen >> add shortcut >> astro >> navigate to desired file >> click 'OK', optionally giving the shortcut a new label.

• 7 months later...