29/May r7 WIP pre-release - MoDaCo Custom ROM for T-Mobile Pulse with online kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

I'm pleased to present a WIP (work in progress) pre-release of my next Android 2.1 based MoDaCo Custom ROM for the T-Mobile Pulse! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. :(

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM on your device, you must have a custom recovery image installed. You can read more about how to install a CRI on your device in this topic.

Your device MUST have had the Hungarian 2.1 update applied already OR already have the larger partition layout this update brings!

Features Included

• Based on the Hungarian 2.1 released
  • Rooted with Superuser 2.1 by ChainsDD
  • Built with the MCR build process which reduces the size and boosts the speed of the ROM
  • STOCK KERNEL
  • Rooted boot image with 'adb remount' permissions
  • busybox with Droid Explorer support
  • terminfo and settings in boot.img to allow nano etc. use
  • System dalvik-cache moved to /cache partition
  • Updated Google Maps, moved to /data/app to avoid wasted space when version updating
  • Voice Search including voice support for Google Maps Navigation
  • Gallery 3D
  • TouchPal languages moved to /data/app (easily updatable)
  • MCR version displayed in 'About' screen
  • Coming soon - optional dropbear (SSH server, username 'root, port 2222, password displayed in 'About' screen)
  • Optional A2SD and A2SD+ (old style) via the online kitchen
  • Optional baked in Wavesecure via the online kitchen (installed to system partition for maximum security)
  • Optional WiFi Status indicator
  • App odex'd, framework un-odex'd (for theming!). Odexing is particular important on this ROM due to the lack of space available!
    • Enhanced Live Wallpapers
    • Additional testing
    • Additional compression

Changelog

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM:

[*]Ensure you have a custom recovery image installed (see 'requirements' above)

[*]Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card

[*]Restart your device in recovery mode (power on with the end and menu buttons pressed)

[*]PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU

[*]Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card

Upgrading

No wipe is explicitly required in order to use this ROM, however if you do encounter issues of any kind, it is recommended that you wipe your device and reproduce the issue before raising it here.

Downloads

This release will be available via prebakes and the online kitchen, both of which are uploading now, please be patient! Bear in mind this is a 'Work In Progress', and so hasn't yet been extensively tested and is also subject to rapid changes / updates.

r7 without additions - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: c03ab5eea84b64b77dcea195b4d65d30

r7 without additions with A2SD+ - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) - MD5: 6cb276f4aba5ee02c0edf9e054955b1f

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta ROM releases and access to the the online kitchens.

Enjoy! :(

P

Guest Paul

Important note - if you bake in the kitchen and get errors while flashing, it's more than possible you've overfilled the system partition... you'll need to remove a /system residing component or two to make it fit (shouldn't generally be an issue tho...)

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Guest Cheadle

Can I also suggest whilst we are on page one that we put instructions for everyone on how to upgrade from 1.7MCR/1.8MCR to the T-Mob Rom.

Im just thinking that we will prob get loads of newbies who will be all confused, so shouldnt we be trying to make this nice and easy for everyone. I know when I first got involved, I liked how people had made it all nice and simple without having to search though pages and pages.

Guest Spooke
Can I also suggest whilst we are on page one that we put instructions for everyone on how to upgrade from 1.7MCR/1.8MCR to the T-Mob Rom.

Im just thinking that we will prob get loads of newbies who will be all confused, so shouldnt we be trying to make this nice and easy for everyone. I know when I first got involved, I liked how people had made it all nice and simple without having to search though pages and pages.

I agree :(, I'm currently in the process of doing this, I can write up a guide but I dont know how to apply the stock 2.1 tmobile rom? Is it like the december update, where u place it on ur SD, go to settings and update device? Or do u do it another way?

Guest MarcusHenrique

Hey, I own an U8220-6 with some chinese update. Since I can't do the official T-Mo update, I'll have to try this.

How is that command to see partitions layout? I'll post it here and maybe you guys can tell me if I have enought space for this.

Thank's"

Guest zerosignull

Already Exists:

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...-upgrade-guide/

Guest makmondeja
Hey, I own an U8220-6 with some chinese update. Since I can't do the official T-Mo update, I'll have to try this.

How is that command to see partitions layout? I'll post it here and maybe you guys can tell me if I have enought space for this.

Thank's"

You can do the RBM U8230 firmware update. I did that one and everything it's working just fine. It's the other official release.

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile.../2-1-for-u8230/

Guest Paul

Added to first post - App odex'd, framework un-odex'd (for theming!). Odexing is particular important on this ROM due to the lack of space available!

P

Guest Simon O

Thanks for this, Paul. I much prefer the look of the Red Bull rom myself. Will it be possible to get an MCR based on this rom please, or would it be possible for me to add a2sd+ and root to my current rom?

Guest Paul

Thank's"

'adb shell df'

My system line reads:

/system: 112640K total, 108468K used, 4172K available (block size 4096)

If yours is smaller than that, it ain't gonna fit. :(

P

Guest Paul
Thanks for this, Paul. I much prefer the look of the Red Bull rom myself. Will it be possible to get an MCR based on this rom please, or would it be possible for me to add a2sd+ and root to my current rom?

I've not used the Red Bull ROM... what's it like? Any screenies?

P

Guest Spooke
I've not used the Red Bull ROM... what's it like? Any screenies?

P

Heres some pics, it looks pretty cool, I love the dialer,

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-mobile...k-root-upgrade/

Would it be possible to take the framework theme from that and put it on this?

Also Im currently on the Red bull ROM so would the T-Mobile Pulse 2.1 update work from this??

Guest Paul

Important note - if you bake in the kitchen and get errors while flashing, it's more than possible you've overfilled the system partition... you'll need to remove a /system residing component or two to make it fit (shouldn't generally be an issue tho...)

P

Guest zerosignull

This is a RBM + Vanilla launcher ROM:

I also fixed this ROM to stop the sd card not mounting bug in windows

Guest Paul
Heres some pics, it looks pretty cool, I love the dialer,

Would it be possible to take the framework theme from that and put it on this?

Also Im currently on the Red bull ROM so would the T-Mobile Pulse 2.1 update work from this??

Ah yeah, nice, i'll look into that. Unfortunately i'm working on other (non Android) projects from tomorrow until Friday, but i'll but the RBM look as an option in the kitchen when I get back! :(

P