29/May r7 WIP pre-release - MoDaCo Custom ROM for T-Mobile Pulse with online kitchen - Android 2.1

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest naniteboy
Easiest way maybe is get a root prompt (su+enter) in a terminal emulator like better terminal em., and type:

echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop

Another way if you prefer editing on your PC is to adb pull the file, edit it and then adb push it back.

Ah and you need a reboot after that to get it working, iirc.

You can check the actual value by issueing getprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ in the terminal.

Seems to be working :( Thank you very much!

Guest bounty123
One question, if it is so easy, why is this not the default?

I guess on phones with more memory than our dear Pulse this is not an issue, because home app can stay easily in memory during normal use. Still I think this should be default, couldn't hurt in any situation - home app reload is the most annoying thing ever :(

Edited by bounty123

Guest gusthy
I guess on phones with more memory than our dear Pulse this is not an issue, because home app can stay easily in memory during normal use. Still I think this should be default, couldn't hurt in any situation - home app reload is the most annoying thing ever :(

:-) :-) You are right, but someone pliiiiz tell it to Huawei or T-Mobile? :-) :-)

Just because when TMob UK talks about unusability of 2.1, it is 99% this issue...

Guest ogiogi
I doesn't have this line in data/local/local.prop but I aded it in the end of local.prop ...and man..I LOVE YOU....my phone becomes more responsive when exiting app and going back to home screen.......CHEERS

Added the line. Rebooted. Aaaaaaand :}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

ADW Launcher performance is 100% now. THX. This should be default on every build.

Edited by ogiogi

Guest twrock
Try setting "ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1" at the end of /data/local.prop. For me it helps a lot, launcherpro almost never gets kicked out of the memory. I used it way back in 1.5 times as well, still works, I don't even see why isn't it default instead of 4. Setting it to 0 is not good though, because then it _never_ gets kicked out of the mem, even if the device would need it to run something - so you end up like not being able to run iGO or something.

Hmm, on the Taiwan CHT8000 (Huawei U8220), using ASTRO file browser, I can't find local.prop anywhere. The /data directory is empty.

There is a /default.prop and a /system/build.prop, but no local.prop.

Any suggestions?

Guest naniteboy
Hmm, on the Taiwan CHT8000 (Huawei U8220), using ASTRO file browser, I can't find local.prop anywhere. The /data directory is empty.

There is a /default.prop and a /system/build.prop, but no local.prop.

Any suggestions?

Like good people helped me, I'll try to help you ... (assuming you're using Windows and have ADB installed):

1) connect your Pulse with USB to the computer

2) run "cmd" to open command prompt

3) in command prompt type: adb shell

4) type in: cat /data/local.prop ... this will show you the content of that file

5) if you don't have the line "ro.HOME_APP_ADJ" in that file, type: echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop ... this will add new line with correct setting

(if you already have the line with value set to 4 then type in the shell: setprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ 1 and hit Enter ... this should change the value of existing line)

6) type: exit ... this will close the adb shell connection

7) disconnect USB cable

8) shutdown and reboot your phone

To check if all is OK (after reboot):

1) connect with USB

2) run adb shell again from command propmt

3) type: getprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ ... you should get 1 returned - if so, that's it, you're done :(

Edited by naniteboy

Guest twrock
Like good people helped me, I'll try to help you ... (assuming you're using Windows and have ADB installed):

1) connect your Pulse with USB to the computer

2) run "cmd" to open command prompt

3) in command prompt type: adb shell

4) type in: cat /data/local.prop ... this will show you the content of that file

<snip>

Thanks for trying to help. :(

At step four, this error message is returned: "/data/local.prop: No such file or directory"

So it looks like the file really doesn't exist. Please note, this is not a T-Mobile Pulse. I have no idea how much difference there is in ROM between these different devices.

But just for kicks, I did go ahead and "cat" the /default.prop and /system/build.prop files. The /system/build.prop is way too long to bother reproducing here (and even had some warning in it).

However, the /default.prop is this:

#

#ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES

#

ro.secure=1

ro.allow.mock.location=0

ro.debuggable=0

persist.service.adb.enable=0

Does that look at all like what is in your /data/local.prop file? Do you have a /default.prop file on your device? If so, what does it look like?

I'm pretty sure I can follow the rest of the instructions, but it looks like I have to figure out which file to do the editing in.

Thanks again.

Guest bounty123

You can set it there as well, just / is probably mounted as r/o, so you'd need to remount it r/w.

But probably you can just create local.prop and it should work also, it's not Pulse but Android specific. In the 1.5 Pulse softwre there was no local.prop on my Pulse either, I created it.

So just write the echo line and the file should be created. You can check after reboot if it had worked with the getprop command as it was stated above.

Edited by bounty123

Guest le_lutin
You can set it there as well, just / is probably mounted as r/o, so you'd need to remount it r/w.

But probably you can just create local.prop and it should work also, it's not Pulse but Android specific. In the 1.5 Pulse softwre there was no local.prop on my Pulse either, I created it.

So just write the echo line and the file should be created. You can check after reboot if it had worked with the getprop command as it was stated above.

To edit the local.prop, I used estrongs file explorer. While the app wouldn't let me edit the file directly (got a "error occurred when getting file content" error), it would let me copy the local.prop file to the sd card. I could then edit this file by hooking the phone up to a pc. Then I copied the edited file back from the sd card to the data folder.

Guest twrock

Ah, yes, thank you. I realize I never stated clearly that I was still using 1.5. So that would explain why I didn't have it as well.

I'll give this a try.

Edit: Yep, it worked to create the file on my PC and then push it onto the device. Thanks all.

Edited by twrock

Guest Franky1927

Deleting Files...

E:Can't chown/mod /data/dropbear/.ssh

(No such file or directory)

E: Failure at line 363:

set_perm 0 0 0700 DATA:dropbear/.shh

Installation aborted

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you.

Guest giryan
Deleting Files...

Installation aborted

Thank you.

What're you doing?

ssh isn't installed on this ROM.

Guest Simon O
Deleting Files...

Installation aborted[/code]

Thank you.

Is this a rom you made from the kitchen or a rom you downloaded? Did you make any changes to the rom?

Guest brack

I have a problem with memory on device - it says I have only 23mb out 80 left A2SD+ is supposedly there but internal memory is eaten by something maybe A2SD is not properly working/setup on this ROM? I have A2SD+ rom installen

Guest Delta1292

ok so after a few tries with shadow's 2.1 rom and some FC issues i decided to go back to pauls rom, only problem is that now i dont have adb - i wiped then installed as it says to but now my pc wont recognise my pulse in adb - i can access the sd card etc but just no adb. tried adb devices but dosnt turn up any devices and adb logcat doesnt show any info either.

anyone got any ideas?

Guest goce.nakov
ok so after a few tries with shadow's 2.1 rom and some FC issues i decided to go back to pauls rom, only problem is that now i dont have adb - i wiped then installed as it says to but now my pc wont recognise my pulse in adb - i can access the sd card etc but just no adb. tried adb devices but dosnt turn up any devices and adb logcat doesnt show any info either.

anyone got any ideas?

reinstall the windows drivers you can find. Them in program files/pc suite/driverd

Guest ogiogi

Just had a reboot :(.

Something that i have noticed. Whenever i run an app that requires more memory, or when the phone runs out of free memory, some background apps and services are being closed. For example weather widget (clock stops), switch pro widget (battery indicator stops) flip silent app (doesn't flip silent :( )

Edited by ogiogi

Guest giryan
Just had a reboot :(.

Something that i have noticed. Whenever i run an app that requires more memory, or when the phone runs out of free memory, some background apps and services are being closed. For example weather widget (clock stops), switch pro widget (battery indicator stops) flip silent app (doesn't flip silent :( )

Yeah, that's how multithreading on Android works :

they should come back as they're being used and the large apps go

Guest ogiogi
Yeah, that's how multithreading on Android works :

they should come back as they're being used and the large apps go

That's the problem. They never restart.

Guest Simon O
That's the problem. They never restart.

They should do. Could you please provide an example of an application you have run which causes services to stop and not restart, or better still rebooted your phone? It will help.

Guest ogiogi
They should do. Could you please provide an example of an application you have run which causes services to stop and not restart, or better still rebooted your phone? It will help.

Longtime use of Dolphin or internal internet browser, Live Wallpapers, Camera, 3D gallery...

Guest MaToNeo

Just wonder so few people complain to increasing volume when phone is ringing. For me taht is the most annoying issue in this ROM. Or did you find any solution?