bright blotches on screen

Guest thesufi

Guest thesufi

anybody got permanent blotches like these on their HD2 screen? they only show up on white or light-coloured backgrounds.

i just bought the phone on ebay so don't know its history.

blotch2.jpg

Edited by thesufi

Guest Mysterious Stranger
anybody got permanent blotches like these on their HD2 screen? they only show up on white or light-coloured backgrounds.

i just bought the phone on ebay so don't know its history.

The backlight is diffused through translucent plastic. Any warping / melting, pressure, or moisture underneath this plastic will cause the effect pictured.

Are the moisture tabs tripped ( red / pink instead of white?)

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thesufi
The backlight is diffused through translucent plastic. Any warping / melting, pressure, or moisture underneath this plastic will cause the effect pictured.

Are the moisture tabs tripped ( red / pink instead of white?)

M.S

where do i find the moisture tabs?

quick update: i sent back the original phone with the pressure marks and acquired another ... which annoyingly also has a pressure mark! not as blatant as the first ones were but there nonetheless. is this a common feature of hd2 screens?

i think i'll be sending this one back to HTC for a warranty evaluation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thesufi

final update:

hats off to HTC!

i sent my hd2 back to them under the warranty (2yrs for the unbranded phone) and they replaced the screen despite a/ my having no invoice having bought the phone off ebay, and b/ the moisture indicator being tripped, which they also replaced.

they also arranged for free shipping both ways and turned it around in 11 calendar days.

great service.

Guest thesufi

i know i said that my previous post was the last update but there is a postscript.

i noticed camera images were coming out blurry/ lacking contrast and taking a magnifying glass to the lens, was dismayed to find that there was dirt-- possibly grease or a fingerprint on the *inside* of the lens cover glass. i expect this might have happened when the phone was taken apart at htc.

now i had a dilemma. send the phone back to htc again and be without it for another 11 days or try to fix it myself. i opted for the latter course and armed with a torx screwdriver and a youtube hd2 disassembly video as a guide (see link below), i set out to get the back off.

you have to remove 4 screws, 2 of which are covered, one with the moisture tab and the other with a small "void" sticker. luckily both came off with a pin (and i have put those away somewhere dry for the duration for safekeeping).

removing the screws was easy but releasing the chassis housing was nothing like as easy as the video suggests, probably because i was lacking the plastic hooked stick tool thingy and had to fall back on my fingernails. i almost gave up after about 15 minutes of trying before it finally unclipped.

after that, it was all plain sailing, except that getting the volume rocker switch back in on reassembly was a little tricky. i got access to the back side of the lens cover and cleaned it (and the lens) using a pecpad with a drop of isoropyl alcohol on it and a microfibre cloth.

now all is well with my hd2 (fingers crossed)

youtube hd2 disassembly video:

Edited by thesufi