USB brick/rickrolled/b0rked -> FIXED!

Guest IEFtm

Guest western
Yes i read that guide but i dont understand where insert command like "/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img" or chmod u+x /data/flash_image

Also i find a misc.img that have my cid (HTC_001), i must rename to mtd0.img?

Also i need to unzip flash_image or leave it zipped?

U need "Android Terminal Emulator" from the market.

The you must unzip the flash_image"

If the phone is still rooted, you can also use Estrongs File Explorer in RootExplorer mode for copying the Files "flash_image" and "mtd0.img" to /data/data/usbfix.

In this case you only need to type the following commands into your "Android Terminal Emulator":

1.cd /data/data/usbfix

2.chmod 775 flash_image

3.flash_image misc mtd0.img

Reboot

Guest Dashie84
U need "Android Terminal Emulator" from the market.

The you must unzip the flash_image"

If the phone is still rooted, you can also use Estrongs File Explorer in RootExplorer mode for copying the Files "flash_image" and "mtd0.img" to /data/data/usbfix.

In this case you only need to type the following commands into your "Android Terminal Emulator":

1.cd /data/data/usbfix

2.chmod 775 flash_image

3.flash_image misc mtd0.img

Reboot

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH

$.cd /data/data/usbfix

.cd: permission denied

$ cd /data

$ dir

dir: permission denied

$ cd /data/data/usbfix

$chmod 775 flash_image

Unable to chmod flash_image: Operation not permitted

$ chmod 775 flash_image

$flash_image misc mtd0.img

flash_image: permission denied

$chmod 775 flash_image

$chmod u+x /data/flash_image

Bad mode

$ cd

cd: HOME not set

$ cd..

cd..: permission denied

$ cd/

cd/: not found

$ chmod 775 /data/flash_image

Unable to chmod /data/flash_image: Operation not permitted

$

I haven't used data2sd yet but it gives you way more internal storage and it moves all the data.

a2sd only moves data and leaves data/data alone so it still uses some internal storage.

I think that data2sd is the way to go but I don't tinker with my phone a lot so I don't know how it works on Modaco custom rom which I use.

And I don't know how we would implement it on a new Sense rom when they eventually come out.

Edit: I'm using a modified a2sd+ which also moves the data/data dir to my SD. It's useful only on fast SD cards (class 6 or more) but it works nicely. I have 230+ apps and 170mb of free internal memory.

Edited by bpivk

Hi Guys!

I am trying to fix my phone from the usb brick but i have an issue:

My sdcard mounts in recovery but when i boot in to my ROM, it keeps on giving me the message that "Its safe to remove SD card". I have tried to mount it via settings a number of times but it still gives me the same message, how can i transfer the mtd0.img to /data partition to fix the USB brick without the SD card? anyone? please help ?

I am using the rooted leedroid 2.2f ROM.

Hi!

Thanks for the fix!

I was stuck because my mtd0 got completely zeroed after a reboot (don't know how...)

I flashed an edited mtd0 with my CID and everything is back to normal!

big thanks!

Guest papabol

ok heres my first problem.. my phone cant recognize my sd card but it can boot. i thought i just need to reformat my sd card to solved the problem so thats what i did.. i reformat it using a card reader. but when i inserted it on my phone it wont boot anymore.. just the HTC logo will appear then restarts and the HTC logo again..

this is what happens..

but if i removed my memory card it will boot..

when i connect the phone to my pc via usb it doesnt recognize it.

my radio doesnt work also..

i think my bluetooth isn't functioning too..

is this what you call usb brick?

- - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2nd problem

one thing i observed is that when i connect my charger to the phone it does not charge immediately.. it takes a moment before the battrey icon starts to move..

has somebody here experienced it before and found the solution?

BTW, my phone is rooted using unrEVOked3 and currently using Amon RA recovery 2.0

and heres my phones specs.. its S-LCD

image136g.jpg

thanks

Edited by papabol

Hi, Im new to this stuff but after a few hours of intense searching ive discovered that my phone is most likely bricked. I say most likely cus compared to whats described of a bricked phone mine is worse. The reason im writing here is that the method described here isnt working for a few reasons, ill describe below.

The setup im using:

HTC Desire, among the first batch with AMOLED etc, euro version not locked to anny carrier etc.

Rooted and S-off and been that way for ages, flashed alot of ROMs, have had 0 problems, its always been stable.

N1table related to S-off. Running Oxygen 1.0 rom (dont think this matters but sure, lets post it).

This started after a simple reboot, Nothing fancy.

The problems im experiencing:

Computor does not recognice phone through USB.

Phone does not recognice the SD card. ---- 'fastboot oem enableqxdm 0' does NOT solve the problem.

Phone does not recognice the SIM card and gets no service. HOWEVER, at bootup it asks for my PIN and i have to enter the right one, and the notification bar still displays the right Service provider, I cannot edit anny settings related to the SIM or similar - EVEN if it asks for the PIN.

I cant boot directly to the bootloader/fastboot/recovery like i usualy can by downvolume + power but the reboot to bootloader/recovery still works from the ROM, thankfully.

So the problem is here, i would love to follow the guide, but since the SD Card cant be activated even with the fancy script i have no clue what to do. I tried installing the newest RUU but that was a failiure ofc. PLEASE help me. Im getting pretty damn desperate :):(

Edited by TSBL

Guest aidfarh
Hi, Im new to this stuff but after a few hours of intense searching ive discovered that my phone is most likely bricked. I say most likely cus compared to whats described of a bricked phone mine is worse. The reason im writing here is that the method described here isnt working for a few reasons, ill describe below.

The setup im using:

HTC Desire, among the first batch with AMOLED etc, euro version not locked to anny carrier etc.

Rooted and S-off and been that way for ages, flashed alot of ROMs, have had 0 problems, its always been stable.

N1table related to S-off. Running Oxygen 1.0 rom (dont think this matters but sure, lets post it).

This started after a simple reboot, Nothing fancy.

The problems im experiencing:

Computor does not recognice phone through USB.

Phone does not recognice the SD card. ---- 'fastboot oem enableqxdm 0' does NOT solve the problem.

Phone does not recognice the SIM card and gets no service. HOWEVER, at bootup it asks for my PIN and i have to enter the right one, and the notification bar still displays the right Service provider, I cannot edit anny settings related to the SIM or similar - EVEN if it asks for the PIN.

I cant boot directly to the bootloader/fastboot/recovery like i usualy can by downvolume + power but the reboot to bootloader/recovery still works from the ROM, thankfully.

So the problem is here, i would love to follow the guide, but since the SD Card cant be activated even with the fancy script i have no clue what to do. I tried installing the newest RUU but that was a failiure ofc. PLEASE help me. Im getting pretty damn desperate :):(

Try connecting your SD Card to your PC using a card reader, backing up and repartitioning your SD Card. I had the same problem after flashing a ROM and it turns out the SD Card was the problem. I was able to access the data using a card reader, but not from the phone. Repartitioning fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Spiders
As most of you know, people have been hard at work to fix the USB issues we've been seeing due to recovery setting us into USB debugmode.

After unsuccessful attempts to change the kernel commandline , eg. to:

board_bravo.disable_uart3=0

board_bravo.usb_h2w_sw=0

we've been successful in discovering (with the help of XDA-developers) that these switches are stored in the first NAND partition, mtd0, or 'misc'.

Step-by-step guide

1. Follow this r5 rooting guide to do Step 1 of the rooting.

That will give you a basic ROM to work with, with root capability.

2. Enable the SD Card functionality. Boot your phone in FASTBOOT mode (back + power), and enter this command: 'fastboot oem enableqxdm 0' . This will re-enable your SD card.

3. Put THIS update.zip on your sdcard.

4. Power off your phone. Hold Volume-Down + Power to turn it on, and select Recovery.

5. When in the screen with the big red exclamation mark, Hold Volume-Up + press Power, and select apply sdcard:update.zip.

6. This will automatically fix your MISC partition with the correct CID. Reboot, and your done!

Credits:

-kubino @ XDA for providing us with the 'misc' information

-TheProfessor @ irc.freenode.net #modaco for being the first test subject + debugging

-adam235 @ irc.freenode.net #modaco for being a test subject as well + debugging

-SgtDavePwnage @ irc.freenode.net #modaco -> moral support + debugging :)

-DrMon @ irc.freenode.net #modaco -> being brave enough to test on his non-bricked device!

Click here to DONATE ;)

Hi,

when I try to start the update.zip, this error comes:

The loading bar started:

Install from sdcard

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted

Where is the problem?

please help :-)

her are my fasttboot oem boot infos:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot oem boot

... INFOsetup_tag addr=0xA0000100 cmdline add=0x8E

07F9F0

INFOTAG:Ramdisk OK

INFOTAG:smi ok, size = 0

INFOTAG:hwid 0x0

INFOTAG:skuid 0x21F04

INFOTAG:hero panel = 0x0

INFOTAG:engineerid = 0x0

INFOMCP dual-die

INFOMCP dual-die

INFOTAG:mono-die = 0x0

INFODevice CID is not super CID

INFOCID is HTC__E11

INFOsetting->cid::HTC__E11

INFOserial number: HT03YPL00603

INFOcommandline from head: no_console_suspend=1

INFOcommand line length =423

INFOactive commandline: board_bravo.disable_uart3=0 board_bravo.

INFOusb_h2w_sw=0 board_bravo.disable_sdcard=0 diag.enabled=0 boa

INFOrd_bravo.debug_uart=0 smisize=0 userdata_sel=0 androidboot.e

INFOmmc=false androidboot.baseband=5.11.05.27 androidboot.cid=H

INFOTC__E11 androidboot.carrier=HTC-Dutch androidboot.mid=PB9920

INFO000 androidboot.keycaps=qwerty androidboot.mode=normal andro

INFOidboot.serialno=HT03YPL00603 androidboot.bootloader=0.93.000

INFO1 no_console_suspend=1

INFOaARM_Partion[0].name=misc

INFOaARM_Partion[1].name=recovery

INFOaARM_Partion[2].name=boot

INFOaARM_Partion[3].name=system

INFOaARM_Partion[4].name=cache

INFOaARM_Partion[5].name=userdata

INFOpartition number=6

INFOValid partition num=6

INFOmpu_nand_acpu_rw A1E 1000

INFOjump_to_kernel: machine_id(2457), tags_addr(0x20000100), ker

INFOnel_addr(0x20008000)

INFO-------------------hboot boot time:215113 msec

FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

finished. total time: 7.564s

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot oem enableqxdm 0

... OKAY [ 0.090s]

finished. total time: 0.090s

Edited by Spiders

Did you use the su command and then the other commands?

Hi, my desire is working in general, but i dont have bt, fm radio or usb, even charging doesnt start imidiately i plug in the device (i messed something up and now im stuck with stock unrooted rom). I tried fixing it by rageagainstthe cage exploid (followed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=15 guide), however i cant even do the first command as it gives me premission denied. Cant su either. I know my phone is not rooted, but some guys with unrooted roms managed to fix their device. How can i do that? I have enabled usb debugging followed the guide but no go, premission denied keeps popping :(

halp? enyone?

Well, got the same problem as above and....i've got a super cid. At least, log says that.

When i try to apply the update.zip mentioned, i get this:

Install from sdcard

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted

My fastboot log:

C:\SDK\tools>fastboot oem boot

... INFOsetup_tag addr=0xA0000100 cmdline add=0x8E

07F9F0

INFOTAG:Ramdisk OK

INFOTAG:smi ok, size = 0

INFOTAG:hwid 0x0

INFOTAG:skuid 0x26A0D

INFOTAG:hero panel = 0x3

INFOTAG:engineerid = 0x0

INFOMCP dual-die

INFOMCP dual-die

INFOTAG:mono-die = 0x0

INFODevice CID is super CID

INFOCID is super CID

INFOBackup CID is empty

INFOsetting->cid::11111111

INFOserial number: SH0A5PL04789

INFOcommandline from head: no_console_suspend=1

INFOcommand line length =419

INFOactive commandline: board_bravo.disable_uart3=0 board_bravo.

INFOusb_h2w_sw=0 board_bravo.disable_sdcard=0 diag.enabled=0 boa

INFOrd_bravo.debug_uart=0 smisize=0 userdata_sel=0 androidboot.e

INFOmmc=false androidboot.baseband=5.09.05.30_2 androidboot.cid

INFO=11111111 androidboot.carrier=ALL androidboot.mid=PB992****

INFOandroidboot.keycaps=qwerty androidboot.mode=normal androidbo

INFOot.serialno=SH0A5PL04789 androidboot.bootloader=0.93.0001 no

INFO_console_suspend=1

INFOaARM_Partion[0].name=misc

INFOaARM_Partion[1].name=recovery

INFOaARM_Partion[2].name=boot

INFOaARM_Partion[3].name=system

INFOaARM_Partion[4].name=cache

INFOaARM_Partion[5].name=userdata

INFOpartition number=6

INFOValid partition num=6

INFOjump_to_kernel: machine_id(2457), tags_addr(0x20000100), ker

INFOnel_addr(0x20008000)

INFO-------------------hboot boot time:210347 msec

FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

finished. total time: 16.891s

My model:

HTC DESIRE SLCD

BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-OFF

HBOOT 0.93.0001

MICROP-051d

RADIO 5.09.05.30_2

Aug 10, 2010, 17:52:18

Well, got the same problem as above and....i've got a super cid. At least, log says that.

When i try to apply the update.zip mentioned, i get this:

My fastboot log:

My model:

Yep same happens to me alltghou I dont have super CID. I just get signature verification err. What now?

Ok an idea...can I get root rom from the first step even if I have 0.93 hboot? Will I be then able to enter su and other commands in Terminal Emultor without premission err? Or could this resolve signature verification err? Or is there any other way to enable usb on usb bircked devices? Or should i try downgrading to 2.1 stock?

Edited by godina

can anyone tell me how can I find out my CID now that my usb is bricked?? Or what can I do to fix this problem. I tried flashing the update.zip but didn't work for me. I am on defrost 6.1.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Elsparkio

Having trouble with

2. Enable the SD Card functionality. Boot your phone in FASTBOOT mode (back + power), and enter this command: 'fastboot oem enableqxdm 0' . This will re-enable your SD card.

Can anyone explain how this is done bearing in mind im not a developer. But i'm not simple either.

You use the command line.

Windows: Start/Run and type cmd then go to androidSDK/tools folder and issue the command.

You know that's not possible if you are usb bricked . . . so is there another way to find out the CID??? sd card is ok

Guest Lvnatic

By the 1st step of that root tutorial you mean this?

Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!).

I don't understand how can that give me a fully functionale ROM, but I already have leedroid 2.3d which is working fine, except that all my app2sd files are gone cause SD is not detected. This USB-brick happened to me after I did a nandroid restore.

And I have another question, how do I run that command in fastboot? When I boot my phone through back button+power I only have the 4 following options:

BOOTLOADER

REBOOT

REBOOT BOOTLOADER

POWER DOWN

There isn't any option in that I can run that command from, so how do I do it, how do I enable my sd card?