HTC desire on ad-hoc network

Guest darmwand

Guest darmwand

Hi there

Maybe I was being stupid but it took me quite a while to figure out how to connect my phone to an ad-hoc wifi network, thus a wrote a little guide that explains the obvious: http://www.ott.net/knowledge/htc-desire-adhoc/

Basically, for other slow-minded people: root the phone, install iwconfig from the wifi-tether application, disable wifi, reload the kernel module, set parameters with iwconfig and ifconfig / dhcp and enjoy.

cheers

Guest Seth McPoodle

Works wonderful mate.

Although it seems I need to enable mobile network for a split second with the ad-hoc connection enabled for the DNS lookups to work.

Another issue that I ran into was the fact that I don't seem to be able to download apps from the market with a ad-hoc network.

Thanks a lot, have been looking for this.

Another issue I found was that browser downloads does not work because the browser doesn't think I have a connection and therefor waits for a "proper" one.

Edited by Seth McPoodle

Guest darmwand
Another issue I found was that browser downloads does not work because the browser doesn't think I have a connection and therefor waits for a "proper" one.

Sounds interesting, since my ad-hoc network is not routed I didn't notice that. I'll look into it some time, but right now I'm trying to write an app that does the basic adhoc magic :(

Guest pampyre

I tried, and failed, setting up my Desire to connect to an ad-hoc network (a week or so ago).

To be fair, I say failed but in fact whilst googling for solutions to the ad-hoc issue I discovered 'hostap' for my Arch Linux install (allowing me to setup an 'ap' network on my linux box), and 'connectify' which allows the same for Windows 7, thus allowing my Desire to connect to my network without having to fiddle with it.

Props on the guide though, more choice and options for people ftw.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...