JIT on 2.1

Guest gusthy

Guest gusthy

Did anyone (I mean, anyone else) try JIT with the official release?

I installed it now, we shall see... currently no problem, LinPack 3.6.

Guest Rizzly
Did anyone (I mean, anyone else) try JIT with the official release?

I installed it now, we shall see... currently no problem, LinPack 3.6.

Is it faster or more sluggish, do you notice any real improvement?

Guest Gonçalo Silva

Care to point me to some link where I can learn how to try it as well?

Also, noticed any performance improvements?

Guest gusthy
Is it faster or more sluggish, do you notice any real improvement?

Good question, one should always eliminate placebo-effect... definitle not sluggish.

Guest Gonçalo Silva
Ooops, a reboot....

So I dont recommend it

One reboot in the second day seems pretty acceptable to me... as long as it actually makes the phone faster :-)

Thanks for the link!

Guest m1a1

Running 2.1 + A2SD (class 2 micro SD, dalvik-cache on /data) experience:

Definitely faster. App reinstall solved all app instability problems so far. Had to reinstall quite some apps (remove and restore from pre-JIT backup), including Wefi and Advance Task Killer. Just clearing dalvik cache was not enough.

Maybe one or more crashes (reboots) at the beginning but that could also be related to the fact that I had dalvik cache on class 2 micro SD at the time. Now running 3 days with no problem.

Guest igor_anta

Definitely faster. App reinstall solved all app instability problems so far. Had to reinstall quite some apps (remove and restore from pre-JIT backup), including Wefi and Advance Task Killer. Just clearing dalvik cache was not enough.

Maybe one or more crashes (reboots) at the beginning but that could also be related to the fact that I had dalvik cache on class 2 micro SD at the time. Now running 3 days with no problem.

Maybe give a nudge to Paul to try to include JIT in his next MCR? Can anyone confirm there is actual speed gain in apps, games and overall phone usage? Cheers!

Guest gusthy
What is this JiT, and can it be installed in U8230?

JIT=Just In Time compiler, a technology that compiles java bytecode to ARM native code and then cacheing it, thus being faster in some cases (not always, since compilation takes time).

It is included in Android 2.2, but optionally exists for 2.1. Opinions are ambigous, because it can cause some instability or slowdown. For example, Zeam home screen replacement does not like it.

On Pulse it can result around 50% performance improvement when running CPU intensive applications.

It runs on all versions like Pulse/8220, 8230 and 8220-6 as well.

Guest Richard_Arkless

How do I implement it into a rom

Ive edited the build.prop

ive copied the libdvm.so and libnativehelper.so to lib then copied the bin folder to the system folder

What do I need to do then, I suspect I need to give it permissions which need to be put into the update-script but the commands look different inside the file so I suspect it will be different from the ones given in the tutorial

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest Spooke
Ooops, a reboot....

So I dont recommend it

My Pulse reboots anyway without Jit on 2.1 MCR R7, so Jit isnt causing the reboot :(

Guest Azurren
My Pulse reboots anyway without Jit on 2.1 MCR R7, so Jit isnt causing the reboot :(

I've had 3 freezes on stock 2.1..

I would really like to try out jit :(

Guest gusthy

mime doesnt reboot :( that might be for lack of wipe, lack of ext repair etc.

wll, I made a clean flash, added jit, we shall see....

Guest gusthy
How do I implement it into a rom

Ive edited the build.prop

ive copied the libdvm.so and libnativehelper.so to lib then copied the bin folder to the system folder

What do I need to do then, I suspect I need to give it permissions which need to be put into the update-script but the commands look different inside the file so I suspect it will be different from the ones given in the tutorial

You should replace the files in the rom, edit build.prop and thats all.

Guest Epic-Emodude

Could you perhaps give us a step by step tutorial on how to put this into a ROM so we dont have to wait for paul to do it.

Thanx

Aaron

Guest gusthy

Do you use AutoKiller?

Guest Richard_Arkless

I did that but im not noticing any speed ups of any kind, guess ill wait a couple of days to see for sure

Could you perhaps give us a step by step tutorial on how to put this into a ROM so we dont have to wait for paul to do it.

Thanx

Aaron

1.Download this http://sholes.id.au/download.php?id=4

2.goto the system folder and edit the build.prop, add dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit to the end and save it

3. copy the bin folder in the system folder

4. copy libdvm.so and libnativehelper.so to lib and create and sign the rom

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest gusthy
I did that but im not noticing any speed ups of any kind, guess ill wait a couple of days to see for sure

2.goto the system folder and edit the build.prop, add dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit to the end and save it

you can chek if it is okay by running Linpack from market.

run it 5-6 times.

if it results around 3.4-3.65, it is JIT.

if it is around 2.4-2.6, it is not jit.

Guest Epic-Emodude

Thanx I will put this in my ROM in the morning. I will let you know the results when I get round to flashing it (this may be a while as I am making some other mods as well such as framework and boot screen as well as clearing out everything that isn't necessary to save space for apps =) )

Guest Richard_Arkless
you can chek if it is okay by running Linpack from market.

run it 5-6 times.

if it results around 3.4-3.65, it is JIT.

if it is around 2.4-2.6, it is not jit.

3.36, so I guess it has JIT then

Guest zerosignull

Easy JIT for MCR Attached. its an update.zip style file that you install via recovery. Install it like you would install a ROM update but do NOT wipe your phone. Just clear the dalvik cache. Also nandroid before you do this. As I do not run MCR I cannot guarantee this will work (though it works fine for my ROM)

mcr_jit.zip

Guest goce.nakov
Easy JIT for MCR Attached. its an update.zip style file that you install via recovery. Install it like you would install a ROM update but do NOT wipe your phone. Just clear the dalvik cache. Also nandroid before you do this. As I do not run MCR I cannot guarantee this will work (though it works fine for my ROM)

It is all over the NET that installing JiT in 2.1 cause some applications not running as they should and produce instability......

I'm just saying what I read....don't kill the masanger :(