TelstraMod1 - Revision 5

Guest Muskie

Guest mitrix

For anyone wishing to return to stock you can find the official Telstra RUU recovery exe over at the xda desire forums.

The apks might still be useful though. I wonder if they can work on froyo at all?

Guest Vicelord

Hello I am new too rooting these phones but I just did your Rom and was hoping my userstring was right it is Your User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-au; HTC Desire Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

Guest vidler

Yep same same. Download the app called Handcent sms, you'll be able to send and receive good quality picture msg's then. I've just downloaded it and its now my primary msg app

Guest h0mer_
In Zipped for the apk's are about 35meg.

Telstra HTC Desire Builtin apps

I have no idea if these are of any use to anyone but I am genuinely trying to help in this forum and thought they were worth mentioning.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll grab these, they may be handy like you say :)

Cheers. :D

Guest Silvarbullit
Yep same same. Download the app called Handcent sms, you'll be able to send and receive good quality picture msg's then. I've just downloaded it and its now my primary msg app

Handsent doesn't make any difference to the quality/size of the MMS I receive with telstra. (all came through max 49kb)

Only thing that did work was using the Telstra r3 or 3.5 rom with the correct user-agent.

I've tried the r21 Froyo ROM which worked beautifully on my Desire but beacuse the user-agent was getting set to Android 2.2 it kept breaking MMS with telstra so I had to go back to Muskies r3.

I haven't tried r3... what are the big differences between r3 and r3.5 ?

Guest Muskie

On my end, nothing at all, really.

I'm currently working on TelstraMod2, and have a release based on DJDroid 1.0 at the Whirlpool Forums.

As Soon as Paul releases some prebakes for MCfRoyo r4, I'll shift all my mod code to Paul's ROM.

Guest Cerebral

Just got a Desire recently and this is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks heaps for the work.

Do you reckon I should wait until you release your new version or should I go ahead an use the current one?

EDIT: Nevermind I just saw your post on whirlpool, I guess I'll go ahead and install the current version with 2.1. Will watch this for a stable version of TelstraMod2

Edited by Cerebral

Guest Thomo73

I have a very n00b question.

I got the HTC Desire from Telstra late last week, and have r00ted and installed the 3.5 ROM no problem.

My query is - I did this before even looking at the Bigpond stuff that was on it before (usage/foxtel/whatever), and now the icons are gone I am curious if any of these features are actually worthwhile?

If not, is there any advantage to using this ROM over other custom (Froyo) HTC roms?

cheers

Thomo

Guest Cerebral
I have a very n00b question.

I got the HTC Desire from Telstra late last week, and have r00ted and installed the 3.5 ROM no problem.

My query is - I did this before even looking at the Bigpond stuff that was on it before (usage/foxtel/whatever), and now the icons are gone I am curious if any of these features are actually worthwhile?

If not, is there any advantage to using this ROM over other custom (Froyo) HTC roms?

cheers

Thomo

I found that most of them are not actually apps but just links to web pages, but none of them even work for me.

Guest Thomo73
yes they are just bookmarks, i can still look at my usage and stuff on this ROM :)

still havn't worked out how to check my usage.. lol

Guest callum_88

a little confused, have been trying to research the information.

but is it possible to use the useragent information etc with this with another rom i found on xda?

EDIT:

ok found on the front page, all ok

Edited by callum_88

Guest Muskie

Updated! I've basically started afresh and redone all the edits from scratch, so this should be quick, and clean, and most importantly, work. :angry:

Guest Cerebral
still havn't worked out how to check my usage.. lol

Me niether.

Just wondering if the mediafire link is working for anyone else, my DL rate for the new version is extremely slow.

EDIT: Now it's saying that the file is no longer hosted on mediafire.

I may be able to give you a hand with future hosting on rapidshare, but won't know if I can for a few more days.

Edited by Cerebral

Yay I finally got rooted :angry:

I've flashed this latest ROM, pretty awesome except that the google maps performance is terrible compared to the stock Telstra ROM.

Before the flash maps would load as fast as they do on my PC, but now I move or zoom in and it takes 3-5 seconds before it loads the new tiles. Tried 3G and Wifi, makes no difference.

Guest h0mer_
Yay I finally got rooted :D

I've flashed this latest ROM, pretty awesome except that the google maps performance is terrible compared to the stock Telstra ROM.

Before the flash maps would load as fast as they do on my PC, but now I move or zoom in and it takes 3-5 seconds before it loads the new tiles. Tried 3G and Wifi, makes no difference.

Congrats on rooting :angry:

Is it maybe a caching thing? That is the map tiles are downloading for the first time again, and once on the handset the maps programme will pull them out of the cache, perhaps like was happening before you rooted??

There's a caching option in the menu iirc.

Congrats on rooting :angry:

Is it maybe a caching thing? That is the map tiles are downloading for the first time again, and once on the handset the maps programme will pull them out of the cache, perhaps like was happening before you rooted??

There's a caching option in the menu iirc.

Nah it wasn't a caching issue, but it wasn't the ROM either. Turns out that if you have the GPS enabled but have a really poor GPS signal (like in a fully steel frame and foil lined room), that it slows down the map loading. I have two desires and one has the default firmware so I was able to compare them side by side and I was browsing areas I had never looked at before. As soon as I disabled the GPS or went outside they were as responsive as ever :D

Guest callum_88

tried to install the telstra mod via recovery mode but says it cannot find the update script and it aborts, what stupid mistake am i making?

i tried to install the kitchen files one and a different one

Guest ozmale

Guys,

I have "rooted" my Telstra HTC desire as per instructions in post #1 of this thread. All seems to work fine.

There is a link to "Kitchen files" What do I do with these and what are they for ?

If there is a link to a post explaining these that would be good.

Chris

Guest Muskie

Kitchen Files are for those creating a custom ROM using the online kitchen or for those with non Modaco 2.1 ROMs to get the benefits of the Mod.