Pulse 2.1 Lite ROM

Guest tgomas
Try going to this link in your phone's browser: m.google.com/youtube

Failing that, download a ROM that has the app (I think most do), unzip it, and then either install it directly through adb or copy YouTube.apk to your phone and then browse to it in your file manager of choice.

Unfortunately this does not work. The site is just a website with no options for download. I tried installing the apk from the MCR and it failed to install.

Its a shame because for me this ROM is perfect other than the lack of youtube.

Edited by tgomas

Guest Simon O
Unfortunately this does not work. The site is just a website with no options for download. I tried installing the apk from the MCR and it failed to install.

Its a shame because for me this ROM is perfect other than the lack of youtube.

You need to push the apk to your phone rather than installing it.

adb push youtube.apk /system/app/

or stick it into the data/app

Either should work.

Guest Epic-Emodude

Hi,

If the majority agree, would it be possible to remove Google Talk for v3, as its not not particularly useful as I don't think many people use it, and it has about 3 .apks that are ascosiated with it and take up alot of space.

Guest goce.nakov
Hi,

If the majority agree, would it be possible to remove Google Talk for v3, as its not not particularly useful as I don't think many people use it, and it has about 3 .apks that are ascosiated with it and take up alot of space.

Then remove it buy your self...don't speak for others,some of us do use it.

Guest Epic-Emodude

Fair enough. It was only a suggestion.

Guest flip360

is it not that google talk must be login to be able o use the market?

Edited by flip360

Guest Jankov

It would be good if you put back the youtube application in v3.0 because you cannot download it from the market or youtube.com or somewhere else and everyone is using it.

Guest twrock
It would be good if you put back the youtube application in v3.0 because you cannot download it from the market or youtube.com or somewhere else and everyone is using it.

Only true for "everyone-1"; I have never used the Youtube app on my phone. :)

Seriously though, it's a question of the purpose of this project. So in the end, although people can delete it themselves, having it there implies it is "necessary", even though it's not. And if it's not in the ROM, people can push it back if they want it (assuming there is a source at which someone can get the file). I'd lean toward not having it, because I'd like to see this ROM to be as minimalistic as possible, while still reasonably functional. Then anyone who wants to build on it can just add to their hearts content, knowing that they really did start with the bare minimum.

Guest Jankov

Yeah but 1 hour ago i pushed the Youtube.apk to /data/app and i f***ed up the rom. And btw somehow every F**king file on my sd card is deleted.

And all that for what?

I'm just saying that Almost everyone is using the app and should be on next release. So the few people that aren't using it can delete it.

Guest Epic-Emodude
Yeah but 1 hour ago i pushed the Youtube.apk to /data/app and i f***ed up the rom. And btw somehow every F**king file on my sd card is deleted.

And all that for what?

I'm just saying that Almost everyone is using the app and should be on next release. So the few people that aren't using it can delete it.

Surely this goes for anything in this ROM. If the majority want it, it can be put in, and the minority will have to delete it, but if its the other way round, those who want it will have to add it themseleves...

Guest whackster

What if we provide deodexed apks from the /system/app, that way keeping the system to a bare minimum, so that who ever wants/needs one of the removed apps can easily install them (or push them to /data/app/)?

All the original and updated apps can be kept on a dropbox account for easy access.

And all that for what?

You probably had youtube.apk pushed as /data/app, similar thing happened to me, the system renamed the apk as /data/app that way destroying the /app/ folder.

Maybe a good tutorial on how to use adb is needed here, also one on how to move the apps from /system/app to /data/app and still have them installed correctly (I made a topic for this, but no one has answered my question yet...).

Guest tgomas

I successfully added Youtube by taking the apk and odex file from the MCR and putting them in the system apps folder of this rom and resigning.

Guest whackster
I successfully added Youtube by taking the apk and odex file from the MCR and putting them in the system apps folder of this rom and resigning.

How did you resign the app? What exactly does it do, because the app is the same, and simlpy adding it does the trick.

Guest Basher52

Amazing work Dave :)

while iam reading about your lite Rom since your first post i didnt flashed it yet, the stock rom is running sooo great instead of the pre official roms. Maybe the next days, but keep on working :)

Guest tgomas

I followed the guide posted 3rdish post on this thread. You can extract the rom and do what you want with it then rezip it. Apprently then you have to sign it in order to flash it.

I also removed all the wallpapers but one from system/media to save some more space. So far so good. I also added TouchPal keyboard from the MCR. In total the zip went up by around 1mb.

Guest whackster
I followed the guide posted 3rdish post on this thread. You can extract the rom and do what you want with it then rezip it. Apprently then you have to sign it in order to flash it.

I also removed all the wallpapers but one from system/media to save some more space. So far so good. I also added TouchPal keyboard from the MCR. In total the zip went up by around 1mb.

Oh, I see you re-flashed the whole rom, ok :)

Guest Epic-Emodude

Hi,

Just looking through the wiki that was posted. Do you think its worth removing tts.apk (the text-to-speech thing)?

Aaron

Guest whackster
Hi,

Just looking through the wiki that was posted. Do you think its worth removing tts.apk (the text-to-speech thing)?

Aaron

If you don't use text to speech then yes, anyway if you don't install Voice Data its useless..

Guest tgomas

I take it we can remove all of the Huawei apps from the rom?

HuaweiSyncClient, HWDrmApp, HWTheme_Work

I tried it and it seems all right so far. Also subbed in the Nexus music player, seems to be slower and not as good as the stock Huawei one.

Guest Simon O
If you don't use text to speech then yes, anyway if you don't install Voice Data its useless..

There isn't any point removing things for the sake of removing them. A lot of people use google maps navigation and it requires text to speech for the directions.

Removing this also means that Google Translate (if installed) will not work also. I use both apps.

TTS does not use any resources whilst idle and unless you download the voices, it's tiny.

Guest Epic-Emodude
There isn't any point removing things for the sake of removing them. A lot of people use google maps navigation and it requires text to speech for the directions.

Removing this also means that Google Translate (if installed) will not work also. I use both apps.

TTS does not use any resources whilst idle and unless you download the voices, it's tiny.

Oh rite... I didnt realise it was used for google navigation. I just thought it was like a highlight text and make it say it feature...

Guest Simon O
Oh rite... I didnt realise it was used for google navigation. I just thought it was like a highlight text and make it say it feature...

Yeah. It's pretty handy.

By the way the Music.apk I gave a link to earlier is infact a port of the 2.1 player to 2.0 which might be why it's a little slow for some people. The proper 2.1 player is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?i00zi5wjzjz