Better battery life on Desire ROM than froyo/cyanogen?

Guest ksc6000

Guest ksc6000

I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. I came over to the desire ROM (when r21 was released) after having cyanogen, and immediately my battery life was extended easily by 30% or so. When froyo dropped I went back to it, and the first thing I noticed was the battery drain again. Went back to the desire ROM and my battery life was better....and just to make sure (lol, actually just to try out the various fixes released by developers on xda for froyo) I went back to Froyo again today, and my battery is going down like a b1tch.

My friend also has a nexus one and he's noticing the same thing. Anyone else?

Guest DarkJedi
I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. I came over to the desire ROM (when r21 was released) after having cyanogen, and immediately my battery life was extended easily by 30% or so. When froyo dropped I went back to it, and the first thing I noticed was the battery drain again. Went back to the desire ROM and my battery life was better....and just to make sure (lol, actually just to try out the various fixes released by developers on xda for froyo) I went back to Froyo again today, and my battery is going down like a b1tch.

Could be the kernel used, as the Desire ROM uses a straight 2.6.33 kernel, where as Froyo uses 2.6.32.9. Who knows. I haven't kept the Desire ROM on long enough to know...I missed the features of Froyo :(

strange, I find my battery life aweful under the Desire ROM

are you using freindstream, peep, etc? Were they baked in your ROM? What other particularities..?

Guest ksc6000
strange, I find my battery life aweful under the Desire ROM

are you using freindstream, peep, etc? Were they baked in your ROM? What other particularities..?

Actually I didn't use the kitchen. I just downloaded the pre baked versions Paul put on the site. I didn't use friend stream or peep.

Guest jango76
Actually I didn't use the kitchen. I just downloaded the pre baked versions Paul put on the site. I didn't use friend stream or peep.

For me, the original ROM was poor, MCR was worse, R21 Desire ROM was slightly better, maybe 10% and R22 I had a bunch of issues with, so I haven't really tested that. The best life so far is with the original leaked Froyo for me. I haven't tried the Froyo MCR yet, I'm waiting for the Desire Camera, trackball colours and unlock before changing again.

Pretty happy with what I have now.

Edited by jango76

Guest Michael Perry

The default froyo kernel that is packaged was bad for me. I downloaded and installed IntersectRaven's Froyo kernel and the difference was signficiant. I get really good battery life but Froyo does have a few interesting things. Like today, the battery just drained right down and I noticed that the work email application was claiming an inordinate amount of cpu. I rebooted the phone to check out the difference and immediately the work email app which does exchange for me, went down to about 2%. Froyo is fun but it ain't done. I get some strange black screens, the market seems weird sometimes. But its fast. I tried all the Desire ROMs and I guess I am not a Sense type of guy. I like the basic look much better. When Froyo finally comes out as the real thing, its gonna be wicked fast I think.

Guest ksc6000
The default froyo kernel that is packaged was bad for me. I downloaded and installed IntersectRaven's Froyo kernel and the difference was signficiant. I get really good battery life but Froyo does have a few interesting things. Like today, the battery just drained right down and I noticed that the work email application was claiming an inordinate amount of cpu. I rebooted the phone to check out the difference and immediately the work email app which does exchange for me, went down to about 2%. Froyo is fun but it ain't done. I get some strange black screens, the market seems weird sometimes. But its fast. I tried all the Desire ROMs and I guess I am not a Sense type of guy. I like the basic look much better. When Froyo finally comes out as the real thing, its gonna be wicked fast I think.

I haven't noticed a single thing move faster on Froyo than I have on Paul's desire port. I don't know what speed differences everyone keeps talking about.

Guest DarkJedi
I haven't noticed a single thing move faster on Froyo than I have on Paul's desire port. I don't know what speed differences everyone keeps talking about.
To me, it's more of the little nuances that keep me on Froyo. Like adding the punctuation after a word, or auto updating of apps. The only "difference" I see, is that Linpack offers more MFlops and the Desire ROM has less RAM/Storage space available. I do love me some Sense though. I keep debating whether or not I want to keep Froyo or the Desire ROM. Luckily I have Nandroid backups of each, so switching is a piece of cake.

Guest Sylar2010

From what I observed:

OS 2.1 is better while using screen with about 1% drop every 2 minutes 20 secs

OS 2.2 (froyo) is a huge battery eater in that field with sometimes 2% per minute and half!!!!

As for sleeping mode (screen off) Froyo performs better

I see, so I went and downloaded a prebake myself and went to bed with battery at 81%, woke up with battery at 75% :( That's a first with this ROM lol.

Configured Peep to sync every 2 hours, added all my apps, auto-sync on, mobile on, wifi on, etc.

Maybe it's something I put or take out in the kitchen that does it? Strange..

Anyways pretty cool, if battery life stays like that then pretty much all I need is bluetooth for this ROM to be perfect!

sns

Guest ushim6

The browser is blazing. Just make sure to make plug-ins optional, so it loads first without flash, then click when you want flash to load :(

Also, the other little tweaks mentioned before just make it a nicer experience. Remember, the JVM enhancements won't really touch alot of the homescreen stuff, as that is mostly written in native code. The JIT is for non-native code only, which is only about 30% of runtime anyways!(according to the JIT IO talk)

Guest ksc6000

Which kernel did you use. I see a few different ones on his page.

Guest ksc6000
From what I observed:

OS 2.1 is better while using screen with about 1% drop every 2 minutes 20 secs

OS 2.2 (froyo) is a huge battery eater in that field with sometimes 2% per minute and half!!!!

As for sleeping mode (screen off) Froyo performs better

This seems accurate to me. And if it is a rough estimate, that means if the phone's screen is continually being used, then with OS 2.1 you can use the phone 233 minutes before the battery dies, whereas the test build of Froyo, a mere 75 minutes.

When actually USING the phone, the battery goes down really fast on froyo. And considering shootnospam's similar experience with mine with a prebaked desire port, the question for right now is: better battery life when not touching the phone? or better battery life while using it?

In a perfect world for me, I could just use the flash apk on the desire port, and I'd be happy. lol

Edited by ksc6000

Guest tsxpuma

People with bad Froyo battery life:

I had an issue with Froyo consuming battery like crazy. I eventually did 2 things:

1. Used the tweaked cyanogen kernel released here: Cyanogen's Tweaked Stock Kernel

2. Went into Applications -> Running Services and kill everything that you're not using. (If it is this, I have a feeling its the weather widget or aloqa)

My services running: Mobile security, TimeService (Retro Clock), SyncManager, CallLogService, Swype

Once I did this, I stayed at 98% battery life for 2 hours (using a 2400mAh battery though, YMMV)

Edited by tsxpuma

Guest Mogul B. God

I get great battery life on the Desire ROM (baked without Peep and Friend Stream) and can go for a day and a half without needing to charge it. The battery life used to be terrible but one day it was really, REALLY great and has stayed that way. I'm going to try out Froyo for a bit but I think I'll stick with the Desire ROM.