Paul's Streak thoughts dump... got questions? Ask here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest frenzyy

maybe it was a marketing scheme, maybe it doesnt have any gorilla glass

but would dell do that?

it was a joke

im thinking more and more to buy this, but as a phone too, how bad is it?

Guest rovex

Got my Streak now after O2 messed up. Loving it! Got Swipe installed and working, although its true none of the launchers really work properly yet.

Build quality is very good and it seems smooth. Some lag is a few places, but i blame Android 1.6 for that. I can see no reason it would bench so much lower than the Desire in Linpack other than the Android build. Should be fine with 2.1 and later 2.2.

Haven't really looked that closely but can we wired tether with the streak via USB? I cant see an option to do so yet. Is it a limitation of 1.6?

It gets a lot of attention wherever i go, and when i explain the size advantages over the iPad people seem to understand.

Guest kupo
im thinking more and more to buy this, but as a phone too, how bad is it?

It's fine as a phone. The size isn't really an issue - it's just like you'd get used to a different sized phone. It's not too heavy to hold up for long calls (well, I did 30 minutes) and everything else is just. Well. Normal.

You do kind of have to make sure it's pressed against your ear to make sure the proximity sensor locks the screen, but I've never had a phone with a proximity sensor before. Maybe that's just normal too!

Guest frenzyy

the screen is the size of the htc, impressive

now im waiting for it to appear in the us for 500$ unlocked and pull the trigger

Guest HustlinDaily

Are you able to fit this phone in your pocket?

How does it feel next to your face when you are talking on it? Does it take you back to the 80s?

Guest Ash_786
Are you able to fit this phone in your pocket?

How does it feel next to your face when you are talking on it? Does it take you back to the 80s?

Doesn't fit too easy in the pocket and It feels very comfortable next to your face (surprisingly)

Guest frenzyy

People Please one last question:

Can i use the streak in portrait mode only or will it make me go into landscape, without any additional apps , straight out of the box?

Edited by frenzyy

Guest dan13l

I'm still on the fence regarding the Streak, but nipped back into the O2 store on my way home to do another "pocket test". Last time I had baggy shorts on with huge pockets, this time some smarter, tighter jeans (dress down Friday). I don't think the Streak was any worse than my Nexus One in my pockets. Taller yes, but also thinner. Not sure if the carrying pouch adds any bulk. I could certainly live with it.

Guest frenzyy

please i need an answer

Can i use the streak in portrait mode only or will it make me go into landscape, without any additional apps , straight out of the box?

Guest clickspace
please i need an answer

The homescreen is locked to landscape and there appears to be no way to change that, yet.

Guest rovex
please i need an answer

You keep asking this and ive PMed you about it. The home screen is locked, it is landscape only, other parts of the interface (the browser, gmail, etc) will rotate if they allow it. Its the same as any other android except the home screen is landscape.

Guest maskaler

I just pjcked mine up an hour ago. It's big but it's lovely to use so far.

Been on it an hour and feel that I've barely scratched the surface.

Expect plenty of Androidy questions now!

Guest frenzyy

Its not a phone

by far.

Its stupid too buy it as a main device

It doesnt suite my needs as i thought it would

Ill wait for the Acer Stream same specs only smaller and smarter.

Guest griff_dai
Its not a phone

by far.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, now close the door on your way out :)

Guest rovex

Its not sold as a phone, its sold as a tablet. That it does well. It can be used a phone if need be, unlike other tablets out there. If a phone is what you wanted you were looking in the wrong place.

I wouldnt have an Acer, they all seem to fall apart. The HTC Desire seems more fitting.

Guest courtlandre
Its not a phone

by far.

Your argument would be much stronger with proper grammar and spelling. But yes, its a big device, that's why most everyone here bought one.

Guest maskaler
Your argument would be much stronger with proper grammar and spelling. But yes, its a big device, that's why most everyone here bought one.

Indeed - I used my iPhone as many things but the phone was rarely one of them. This does those things but faster and bigger.

Guest griff_dai
Indeed - I used my iPhone as many things but the phone was rarely one of them. This does those things but faster and bigger.

That Acer Stream has one fugly UI!!!!!

Guest streak dan

Ditto, I got this coming from an iPhone because it was large and i don't really use the phone feature too much, Although i must admit i did feel a bit of a plonker when i tested out a phone call holding it to my ear....but oh well i still love it!

Guest griff_dai

I am surprised that O2 have given this such a soft launch (Zero TV advertising) and I'm wondering if they are waiting to get the 2.2 update out before pushing it as the true ipad contender in the run up to the end of year Christmas rush.

Other than that I cannot understand why Dell would give them exclusivity and then get no media advertising and very little POS positioning....

Anyway, back on topic......

I'm getting one as I think it has the greatest potential out of any currently available or announced Android phones.

I got a feeling that the Dell Streak is developing a cult culture and that is set to get bigger when the phone launch's in the states in a few weeks...

Dai