[ROM] FLB-Mod 1 (Based on Android 2.1)

Guest Simon O

Guest ghoman

Hello,

This is my first custom rom installed on my pulse, before that I used the 1.5 and 2.1 original versions.

I like it very much but I have a problem:

The system closes the background apps too soon

(I use a communication app a lot which need to be able to run in the background).

How can I fix it?

I tired to use the lowmem commands, but it did not help.

Any of the settings could solve this problem?

If not, how could I install the flb-default.zip settings?

Is it possible to use it without reinstalling the programs and settings?

Thanks,

Gho

Guest xfighter11

LOL, I installed again newest J-MOD 1.1 from today also with A2SD and it's like I said. In the processes of Quick System Info the process android.process.acore is only started once and in FLB it's started twice. That's the problem I quess. But I'm using J-MOD from now. But thanks flibblesan for your hard work without J-MOD wouldn't be possible, too.

Edited by xfighter11

Guest Simon O
LOL, I installed again newest J-MOD 1.1 from today also with A2SD and it's like I said. In the processes of Quick System Info the process android.process.acore is only started once and in FLB it's started twice. That's the problem I quess. But I'm using J-MOD from now. But thanks flibblesan for your hard work without J-MOD wouldn't be possible, too.

LauncherPro and ADW.Launcher cause the system to have two android.process.acore processes running. But it doesn't mean there is a problem. The only cause for all our problems is memory. Android starts to kill applications and services once free memory drops below 20MB (I believe) and this causes the acore popups, sms not being received, applications crashing, no email notifications etc.

All the time I see people posting "I have 50MB free memory" or "I removed X applications and now I have 40MB free memory", or even "I removed system files, I have 40MB free memory but my SMS is broken". People are getting confused with storage and memory.

The phone has a 256MB flash which is used for the operating system, caches, recover and user storage. User storage is the important part as this is where you install your applications to. On FLB-Mod this will be around 55MB and can usually be increased if you remove some of the extra applications pre-installed in the rom. Having low free storage space will mean you run out of space to store applications and if you don't move dalvik-cache to your SD card (assuming you have a fast enough card of Class 4 or Class 6) then this will affect stability of your system. Keeping at least 20MB free on /data is the ideal situation. Applications are then able to write cache files and databases can be written to and extended.

System memory is the memory used to launch applications and system processes. As you can imagine this is important, however it's not important to have this free. Android, like other Linux systems, will use up all available system memory on your device. But don't be concerned because any memory not being used by the system will be marked as 'available'. A lot of system monitors fail to take in to account the available memory and just focus on free memory. The application I use, OSmonitor, does display available memory and my device is mostly running with between 20 and 30MB available system memory. Of course, running a large application such as a Sat Nav app will use most of this up as designed.

J-Mod only has one acore process running because it is using the standard Android launcher. All alternative launchers open an additional process (the exact reason I'm not totally aware of). But I have been told many times that this is not a problem.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest xfighter11
J-Mod only has one acore process running because it is using the standard Android launcher. All alternative launchers open an additional process (the exact reason I'm not totally aware of).

Not for me, I have the newest version of ADW.Launcher installed. Anyway only one acore process.

Guest hashcaked

flibblescan I'd like to thank your for your work on the 2.1 ROM, I've used the build on my Pulse with a lot of good results but I have now upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S.

The flip style calendar app in your ROM is the best I have used and I have been trying to find a version to use on my Galaxy S but so far I have had no luck.

It it possible for me to grab the same calendar app from somewhere so I can use it on the new phone?

Sorry for hijacking the thread and going off topic.

Thanks.

Edited by hashcaked

Guest whackster
ADW launcher version 1.1.1 system version in a flash-able zip. Still has FC if you try to edit the groups in drawer though. Cheers!

DOWNLOAD: adw_1.1.1.zip

Could someone running ADW please take a logcat of the FC so we can submit it to anders and get it fixed? I removed some things in /system/bin/ and can't get any log output.

all that has to be done is use an app such as catlog and copy/paste it here.

Thanks.

flibblesan, sorry for hijacking FLB topic, didn't want to open a new one just for this.

Guest Simon O
Not for me, I have the newest version of ADW.Launcher installed. Anyway only one acore process.

OK, found some clarification. ADW system version only had one acore process as it used shared uid and uses the same dalvik instance as other system apps. If you use ADW market version or LauncherPro then you will have two acore process as the launcher will make it's own due to the different UID.

Guest Simon O
Could someone running ADW please take a logcat of the FC so we can submit it to anders and get it fixed? I removed some things in /system/bin/ and can't get any log output.

all that has to be done is use an app such as catlog and copy/paste it here.

Thanks.

flibblesan, sorry for hijacking FLB topic, didn't want to open a new one just for this.

Done. http://pastebin.com/CCBCy1sN

Ok I'm in contact with him about the crash. Will keep people posted.

Update: Got a reply: "anderwebs

@flibblesan kk, fixed my stupidity. I'll be updating the links later"

Edited by flibblesan

Guest thisweb

Is there a simple dummy guide of how I can get A2SD set up properly on this rom. I have the ext partition wiped. Fresh install of FLB. How do I set where dalvik cache is?

Guest starkos

Can some people who are using this rom do me a big favour please? If you have SetCPU installed can you go to the 'Info' tab and write down the 'Time in State' figures for me, would really appreciate it :huh: Oh yea, can you also state what Official rom/update you have (UK/Tre/HU etc) too, cheers...

Guest igor_anta
Done. http://pastebin.com/CCBCy1sN

Ok I'm in contact with him about the crash. Will keep people posted.

Update: Got a reply: "anderwebs

@flibblesan kk, fixed my stupidity. I'll be updating the links later"

Heh, so it wasn't our beloved phone's fault after all. That's nice for a change :huh: Just kidding, love tha Pulse!

EDIT: So here is the new ADW Launcher 1.1.2 version. This one works quite good, no FC on group edit in drawer. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD: adw_1.1.2.zip

Edited by igor_anta

Guest mark2410

well found it, didnt realise it would be listed as Huawei Launcher, installed it and it seems to mostly now be working with the exception of the dock

Yes the dock doesn't work and I replied about that recently but I wasn't noticed.

Anyhow is there a fix for this? Tnx

Edited by D-D-

Guest Simon O
Yes the dock doesn't work and I replied about that recently but I wasn't noticed.

Anyhow is there a fix for this? Tnx

No fix as far as I know. The dock often breaks with custom roms.

Guest ringer

Have just reflashed to start again with UK2.1 , ClockworkMod and FLB 1.4.1 and noticed some applications missing :

Astro

Google Maps

ROM Manager (ROM Manager is quoted in 1.4.1 changelog as being updated)

File Manager

and there may be others I haven't noticed yet

have these been removed to be installed by users as required, or do I have an incomplete install?

edit: just checked the zip file - the apps are in the zip - so reflashed (again) and all apps now appear. Strange.

PS I do not like the new boot animation - it is, in my opinion, childish

Edited by ringer

Guest Simon O
PS I do not like the new boot animation - it is, in my opinion, childish

:huh:

Sorry, no disrespect to you but that is quite an amusing comment.

Guest wheresmyhead

Well FLB 1.2 (Tre) was becoming very sluggish on my phone, so I started again from scratch.

I flashed UK T-Mob 2.1, reinstalled Amon-Ra (I prefer this to Clockwork) deleted/recreated ext2 partition on my SD card, then flashed FLB 1.41. I have to say that there's been a significant increase in speed, so I'm very happy with this release.

P.S.

I really like the new boot animation :huh:

Guest ringer
:huh:

Sorry, no disrespect to you but that is quite an amusing comment.

No disrespect to you either, you do a fantastic job for us. Glad it made you smile - it's just my opinion on the imagery.

Wondering what boot animation will be in FLB1.5. Thinking dark, warrior, possibly gangster or guerilla style imagery. Perhaps mysterious, like some previous ones (remembering the eyes)? Or maybe a cheeky one with (dunno his name) the android figure winking at us?

Guest Traumah

@flibblesan at the moment i'm using the stock uk 2.1 update that you rooted to use apps2sd. the sms problem has gotten a lot worse for me so i was going to upgrade to your custom flb mod but was wondering does the lost sms problem also occur on your rom?

@flibblesan at the moment i'm using the stock uk 2.1 update that you rooted to use apps2sd. the sms problem has gotten a lot worse for me so i was going to upgrade to your custom flb mod but was wondering does the lost sms problem also occur on your rom?

Yes, some SMS are lost with this custom rom too. It's a problem with the lack of free RAM.

Guest Totyasrác

So far I have found this ROM (FLB v1.4.1) the best - but only with Stock Launcher.

It was the worst (for me at least) with LPro, home always had to be restarted by system no matter what I've done (GTalk, browsing, picture viewing from SD...) but that's over now with stock launcher. I am using SysMonitor app to check free RAM (works well) and it is between 25-32megs most of the time. Apps open instantly, home is there always when exiting any app... Other launchers look much nicer but until we have 2.2 (proving to handle memory better) I'll stick to this - stock - one.

Try it* - you'll love the Pulse again :huh:

*: I mean FLB v1.4.1 w/stock_launcher

Thanks a lot, flib mate, you are THE MAN ;)

Guest mike557

Anyone got any suggestions?

Very happy with flb 1.4.1 thank you :huh:

I have a problem with the browser and google search - they just stop if I am using a mobile network and work fine when using wifi.

All other internet apps appear to work without problems (on wifi or mobile) e.g. google talk, navigation, maps etc.